Munster Makes it easier for Big two!

Started by From the Bunker, October 06, 2007, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

I see that the Big two (Cork/Kerry) in Munster will be seeded for the coming Munster Championship in Football. This will mean that neither will meet untill the final. Any of the remaining 4 weaker counties will have to beat both to win a title. Added to this most of the weaker 4 will not be able to avail of the back door as they are Division 4 teams and will go directly into the TM Cup.

This leaves the other provinces also at a disadvantage as teams that emerge have to peak earlier.

Talk about the strong getting stronger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't we just hand SAM to Kerry now?

>:( :( :o :o ??? :-[ :-\ :'(

johnpower

Ouch .While I agree that this is a big blow for the other 4 counties in Munster the qualifiers gives every one a second chance if you are good enough you are good enough .

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 06, 2007, 09:10:41 PM
I see that the Big two (Cork/Kerry) in Munster will be seeded for the coming Munster Championship in Football. This will mean that neither will meet untill the final. Any of the remaining 4 weaker counties will have to beat both to win a title. Added to this most of the weaker 4 will not be able to avail of the back door as they are Division 4 teams and will go directly into the TM Cup.

This leaves the other provinces also at a disadvantage as teams that emerge have to peak earlier.

Talk about the strong getting stronger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't we just hand SAM to Kerry now?

>:( :( :o :o ??? :-[ :-\ :'(
Having the easy games sure helped New Zealand tonight , and Galway in the hurling   ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

darbyo

darbyo

Sorry my computer went nuts, the Waterford county board should hang their heads in shame, they sold out Waterford football.....and the rest of Munster football for some kind of favour in the hurling, is it any surprise that Waterford clubs got a bye in the club championship?... the price to be paid?

From the Bunker

Quote from: johnpower on October 06, 2007, 10:34:30 PM
Ouch .While I agree that this is a big blow for the other 4 counties in Munster the qualifiers gives every one a second chance if you are good enough you are good enough .

Sorry there's NO second chance for Division 4 teams! That's the point!

Rav67

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 07, 2007, 02:50:19 AM

Well not unless you beat one of the Big Two and make it to the final

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 07, 2007, 02:50:19 AM

Cry me a river , the division 4 teams this year proved they aren't not up to standard ,The current system give clubs an extra week . They want a second chance , simple . win or come second in the league .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

darbyo

QuoteCry me a river , the division 4 teams this year proved they aren't not up to standard ,The current system give clubs an extra week . They want a second chance , simple . win or come second in the league

I agree, up to a point, but Limerick who have dragged themselves up to a reasonable standard now have to beat two of the top 5/6 teams in the country every year to win their province. Now if the draw worked out that way in a given year, fine, but to ensure it happens every year is ridiculous. And that Waterford supported this is scandalous.

Gnevin

Quote from: darbyo on October 07, 2007, 03:42:51 PM
QuoteCry me a river , the division 4 teams this year proved they aren't not up to standard ,The current system give clubs an extra week . They want a second chance , simple . win or come second in the league

I agree, up to a point, but Limerick who have dragged themselves up to a reasonable standard now have to beat two of the top 5/6 teams in the country every year to win their province. Now if the draw worked out that way in a given year, fine, but to ensure it happens every year is ridiculous. And that Waterford supported this is scandalous.
The same could be said for Leinster or Ulster . At the end of the day . All the second chance gave these teams was a second chance to be beat .

darbyo

Like I said, I don't think teams should be getting a second chance just for the sake of it. But nor I do I agree with seeding teams, especially in a small province like Munster which has two particularily strong counties and four fairly poor counties. I know some of the Limerick lads and it is now almost impossible for them to win a Munster championship, so in effect the MC have taken away their only realistic chance of silverware. We always hear about ways of improving hurling in various counties, well in Munster it is the other way around. this decision is a kick in the teeth for football in Munster and questions must be asked of the motivation for the Waterford CB to vote in favour of it.

Tankie

I agree with them being separated, there are only two teams down there so makes sense that they only meet in the final! but it also shows how pointless these provincial titles are.
Grand Slam Saturday!

darbyo

QuoteI agree with them being separated, there are only two teams down there so makes sense that they only meet in the final!

Why?, competitions should be designed with the object of getting the two best teams into the final but it shouldn't be arranged to guarantee it.

Quotebut it also shows how pointless these provincial titles are.

I largely agree with this, but to some counties it is their only realistic goal. In saying that I think the provincial system should be scrapped.

From the Bunker

Yeah, you're right all the provinces should be seeded. Mayo and Galway should never have been on the same side of the draw this year. God Sligo should have had to beat both to win their title. Same with ulster Armagh and Tyrone should have been on opposite sides, how can you let Monaghan to an Ulster final without beating either of these teams? God we do not want to be promoting weaker teams getting their big day in provincial finals and having a goal to win a title! ;)

muppet

I would agree with this only if there was no back door for the Provincial loser.

The qualifiers were introduced to ensure players who trained year in year out for weakers counties got more than one game a year. If you get to a Provincial Final you have had more than one game and if you lose it you should be out. I know that would hurt my own county more than a lot of others but I think it would be the fairest way if the current system is to be continued.
MWWSI 2017