Should Kerry be split into two teams for the football championship?

Started by saffron sam2, September 21, 2007, 08:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

QuoteMost definitely not, it was easy enough for us to beat the whole team in 2003 and 2005, can only imagine the carnage if they were weakened! 

i rewatched the 2005 AI final last nite Colm Cooper and Paul Galvin have really bulked up in the last 2 years. Paul Galvin didnt even look that strong back then now i would rate him as the 'tightest' player in intercounty Football!!!

Fair play to them for 'bulking up'.  As for Galvin being the tightest player in intercounty football, I'd like to see how tight he would be if he was thrown into a 50-50 with Francie Bellew.  Galvin is a cute hoor, and is more likely to sneak up behind someone rather than go in fair and square!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

parttimeexile

Quote from: Estimator on September 21, 2007, 11:01:13 AM
It could work, sure there has been a North/South split in Derry for years  ;)

Kerry will most definately follow that successful model. :D

Gnevin

Great idea,this congress we'll put all the ideas from this board into an ideas hat and if open draw ,seeded championship with  56 teams and 12 levels of appeal come out , sure it be a great laugh :)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

From the Bunker

Mayo could be split into north and South! Actually the Mayo team presently is North, so there would only have to be a formation of the south. ;D

Frank Casey

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 21, 2007, 08:37:57 AM
I think it is worth considering splitting Kerry into two separate 'county' teams - either North / South or East / West.  I'm not sure of the footballing geography of Kerry, but I'm sure an equitable divide could be agreed.  Both teams could still play in the traditional Kerry jersey.

There are many, many advantages to this, both for Kerry as a whole and the AI championship in general. Firstly, it would give Kerry twice as many chances to reach the All-Ireland final; Munster would no longer be regarded as a soft touch, as it would no longer on its own have the fewest number of competing (or competitive) teams; look at some of the individual possible match-ups (Marc O'Se on the Gooch, Tomas on Declan O'Sullivan etc.); Declan Quill could finally start a championship match; 31 1/2 counties could hate Pat Spillane; there could be all-Kerry All-Ireland finals and there would be all-Kerry Munster finals.  The list of advantages goes on and on.

The only possible downside would be a clash of colours when the two Kerry teams meet.

Any thoughts?

FFS ???
KERRY 3:7

ziggysego

No Way Jose.

Kerry are winning All-Ireland because they are good enough and there-fore deserve to. I don't see why they should have to be penalised for doing so, so the rest of the country has to catch up.

No Way Jose.
Testing Accessibility

red hander

'I'd like to see how tight he would be if he was thrown into a 50-50 with Francie Bellew'

What? Like that 50-50 with Big Sean in the 2005 semi-final when Francie couldn't get off the floor for three minutes?

mannix

And what would happen when they stop winning like 1986 to 1997? Maybe everyone else could start playing like them and we would have a fair competition.
All empires fall sometime.

Kerry Mike

The 75-86 empire fell because it only had 18 players and one manager hence the famine of 87-97.

Now into our 3rd winning Manager in 10 years and an almost totally new team in the last 8 year, we have the sniff of blood now and will push on hopefully for more successes.

Wait until the minors from last year get a run, The Walsh Brothers, Tommy and Barry John, David Moran (if he comes back from Rugby) and Paddy Curran (if he comes back from NY), losing the minors final last year (and no disrespest to Roscommon who deserved their victorey) while painful at the time, kept those and other minors on track for bigger winning things.

Nothing worse than a big swelled headed minor, good for feck all for his club or his county. Was talking to Tommy Walsh in City West on Sunday night and winning a Senior AI subs medal means nothing to him as a 19 year old, he wants a players medal like any of the 7 his old lad has. Thats the hunger. Bottle it or box it but thats the raw fabric of Kerry.

Tadgh Kennelly too has often spoken of coming back from Sydney to win an All Ireland with Kerry, the time is now Tadghin no point talking about it, Darragh O'Se is on his last legs, now is your time to stand up, I have my doubts however that he will ever get his AI medal.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Kerry Mike

now Ziggy we in Kerry are always willing to lend a hand to the little people.....  :P
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

mannix

Yes its true kerry are looking like a machine now and unbeatable.They are a great team, however, monaghan had them only for the experience came through.I think the manager idea is crap.They are that good even with peter pan managing them,its when daragh o se,galvin and perhaps a few more of the older lads leave that we will find out if he is such a good manager.
No doubt a great team, everyone else will be gunning for them though and they will revert to being just a good team in time.

HowdyDoody

Galvin=sneaky butcher..he likes to come in the back door..spa

Kerry Mike

Quoteyawn

Great contribution, keep up the good work, this board needs more of your type, the silent but deadly types, those who can nail a conversation with just one word.

Keep her lit Dutchy on the left hand side.......Total Football is the new Dutch thing in Kerry as we aim to keep the beautiful game alive  :P

As you can see I will be gloating for a while here, please forgive me as I deviate from my normal boring self, but with raised fist in the air...............KM again roars C'mon the Kingdom.

Yawn indeed.

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football