Should Kerry be split into two teams for the football championship?

Started by saffron sam2, September 21, 2007, 08:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

I think it is worth considering splitting Kerry into two separate 'county' teams - either North / South or East / West.  I'm not sure of the footballing geography of Kerry, but I'm sure an equitable divide could be agreed.  Both teams could still play in the traditional Kerry jersey.

There are many, many advantages to this, both for Kerry as a whole and the AI championship in general. Firstly, it would give Kerry twice as many chances to reach the All-Ireland final; Munster would no longer be regarded as a soft touch, as it would no longer on its own have the fewest number of competing (or competitive) teams; look at some of the individual possible match-ups (Marc O'Se on the Gooch, Tomas on Declan O'Sullivan etc.); Declan Quill could finally start a championship match; 31 1/2 counties could hate Pat Spillane; there could be all-Kerry All-Ireland finals and there would be all-Kerry Munster finals.  The list of advantages goes on and on.

The only possible downside would be a clash of colours when the two Kerry teams meet.

Any thoughts?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Great Leap Forward

Is this some kind of joke?

Surely it is up to the rest of the country to catch up with Kerry rather than splitting the county in half. A few teams pushed Kerry all the way this year but couldn't get the job done, that's not Kerrys fault.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Most definitely not, it was easy enough for us to beat the whole team in 2003 and 2005, can only imagine the carnage if they were weakened!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Absolute nonsense.

So, when Armagh were close to appearing in four All-Irelands in a row in 2005 ('04 and '05 were close) would you have been calling for the Orchard to be split in two? When Armagh dominated Ulster were you calling for this? When Kerry disappeared from '86 to '97 did you call for this? Catch yerself on and get back to drinking at 1pm on the Glen Rd
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bensars

Congratulations.

You win 1st Prize for the most Idiotic post of the year ::)

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

oneillcup2007

Rediculous and uncommentworthy
This SAffron sam is he some sort of nutter.  Admin!!

screenexile

thebandit

dodo

I think this is a great idea. Splitting Monaghan though, that's pure ridiculous. Cop on for Christs sake  >:(.

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Aristotle Flynn

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

longball

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 21, 2007, 09:39:43 AM
Most definitely not, it was easy enough for us to beat the whole team in 2003 and 2005, can only imagine the carnage if they were weakened!  :D

i rewatched the 2005 AI final last nite Colm Cooper and Paul Galvin have really bulked up in the last 2 years. Paul Galvin didnt even look that strong back then now i would rate him as the 'tightest' player in intercounty Football!!!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Estimator

It could work, sure there has been a North/South split in Derry for years  ;)
Ulster League Champions 2009