Is it worth bothering with this board any more?

Started by magpie seanie, August 28, 2007, 12:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it worth bothering with this board any more?

Yes
57 (80.3%)
No
14 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: September 04, 2007, 12:26:53 PM

Gnevin

Code of conduct
1) Remain civil
2) Assume good faith
3) Always search for a similar thread before starting a new one
4) No fishing/Wind ups , Posting thread to wind people up leads to breeches of 1 ,2 and 3
5) Joking /non serious comments should end in a smilies such as ;)  :P :D :), posting an abusive comment and defending  only to later say you where joking will not be consider Joking /non serious post
6) Posting in shorthand and text speak is often rude and is ruder the more that is used , common shorthand like GAA , esp are ok
7)  If a posters spelling or grammar is poor or if their is a misspelled word don't publicity humiliate them by calling them if the message is understandable  , if a post is not understandable send a PM or post a helpful message asking for calcification
8) If you have a problem not covered by the above 7 . Try sending the user a PM  first before going to the mod ,it may just be a misunderstanding
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

SuperSub

Quote from: Gnevin on August 29, 2007, 12:29:40 AM
Code of conduct
1) Remain civil
2) Assume good faith
4) No fishing/Wind ups , Posting thread to wind people up leads to breeches of 1 ,2 and 3
5) Joking /non serious comments should end in a smilies such as ;)  :P :D :), posting an abusive comment and defending  only to later say you where joking will not be consider Joking /non serious post
6) Posting in shorthand and text speak is often rude and is ruder the more that is used , common shorthand like GAA , esp are ok
7) If a posters spelling or grammar is poor or if their is a misspelt word don't publicial humiliate them by calling them if the message is understandable  , it a post is not understandable send a PM or post a message asking for calcification
8) If you have a problem not covered by the above 7 . Try sending the user a PM  first before going to the mod ,it may just be a misunderstanding

Just to make things clear about point number 7
Is this the kind of thing your talking about ???

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4398.msg146844#msg146844

Dutch

Quote from: Square Ball on August 28, 2007, 12:54:13 PM
Diddnt realise that Bud had left us, any reason give or last post?

he was a remarkable bloke and an Gentleman.

bahaahahahahahaaaahahaha

tyrone realist

My tuppence - There are too many people now that go in for pub-style "debate" and discussion rather than discuss things in a reasoned and logical manner which I reckon is the main problem. Now don't get me wrong, there's supporting your team and defending your team against attacks but there's also being a knob full of your own self importance. Because this forum is anonymous you get an awful lot of ballbags who are willing to give plenty of stick to their own as well as to the opposition.

The solutions?

Are work related email or ISP related sign up accounts the answer? There have been a couple of incidents where people have gotten very very close to posting something slanderous or libelous - if something like that can be traced back to you rather than have the cloak of anonymity that will stop pretty sharpish.

There are maybe 25 or 30 posters on the board now whose opinions interest me and I'll look for them and Bud was one of them. Truthfully, a kill file option on the board would be like manna from heaven but I'm not sure if they're only a usenet thing.

Silky

This place is dead. Let it go. There's no point in flogging a dead horse. There are other sites for GAA discussion that have all surpassed this place in recent times. Orior is right; things have a natural life and this Boards is over. It was good for a couple of years but now it's not.

O'Neill will try to keep it going by making up more user names but even his heart isn't in it anymore. 
Gnevin will find a spelling discussion board and move on eventually.
Poor Drici will probably be left all alone again wondering where everybody has gone.

Gnevin

Quote from: SuperSub on August 29, 2007, 12:42:09 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 29, 2007, 12:29:40 AM
Code of conduct
1) Remain civil
2) Assume good faith
7) If a posters spelling or grammar is poor or if their is a misspelled word don't publicity humiliate them by calling them if the message is understandable  , if a post is not understandable send a PM or post a message asking for calcification

Just to make things clear about point number 7
Is this the kind of thing your talking about ???

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4398.msg146844#msg146844
Sort of but i could not understand the message at all and i didn't just call the guy on one misspelled word .Ii admitted my spelling is cat and what i do to try make it understandable

I was more getting at
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4384.msg147856#msg147856
Where its clear that Tankie was going for writing
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Silky on August 29, 2007, 03:17:36 AM
This place is dead. Let it go. There's no point in flogging a dead horse. There are other sites for GAA discussion that have all surpassed this place in recent times. Orior is right; things have a natural life and this Boards is over. It was good for a couple of years but now it's not.

O'Neill will try to keep it going by making up more user names but even his heart isn't in it anymore. 
Gnevin will find a spelling discussion board and move on eventually.
Poor Drici will probably be left all alone again wondering where everybody has gone.
Silky what are you talking about?
My spelling is shit why would i move too a spelling discussion board?

magpie seanie

I thought this was a discussion worth having and to some extent it has been worthwhile. I was disgusted yesterday at Bud leaving and just wanted to highlight that and get other peoples opinions on howq things have gone here. I feel the hurling board and Local GAA boards are great additions and are largely free from the idiocy and Hogan Stand type crap that seems to annoy many here, not just myself. However the main board, after an initial improvement has been brutal the last few weeks. Maybe its cos of the Dubs/Anti-Dubs rubbish and it will now calm down. Lets hope so.

I accept to a point the argument of - if you don't like it, don't read it and I can certainly apply that a bit more. Trouble is that rubbish can be and is spewed just about any time on any thread so a lot of it is unavoidable.

For the record I didn't vote on the poll myself.

maddog

This raises its ugly head every year however usually slightly later in the season. The board structure is fine as it is, the idiots will melt away in the coming weeks. Shame about bud, called a spade a spade and always good for an aul tip every now and then.

behind the wire

could we not just go back to gaa discussion and non gaa discussion, i think it was better craic that way. anyone think that would help?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Hardy

Nothing much to add here. I voted yes. And I appeal to Bud to come back And to Seanie and the others not to go. We get these occasional influxes from Hoganstand and the feral elements of the Holylands. But I liked Wobblers pub analogy. It's our local and it's up to us to set the atmosphere, along with the management (admin) and bar staff (mods). We can either let the rowdy kids take over or else refuse to accommodate them with loud music and they'll feck off in a while as they always do.

On a personal note, I don't see anything wrong with winding up the Dubs.

Hardy

Hold on. Things are worse than I thought. I see the vote has been gerrymandered. I can only assume it's our Northern contingent:
Yes: 55
No:14
Total Votes 68 ?

Not only that, but some fecker has posted on the "Corny One For Friday" thread and it's only Wednesday!

his holiness nb

I see clarshack and neutral have also deleted their accounts.
Why not just avoid the site for a few weeks?
its that stage of the year when the most attention is on the GAA and therefore the summer posters are out in force.
I'm sure it will all calm down after a while.
I did make the point a few times yesterday before the exodus began that the site has gone to shite lately and can understand people getting sick of it though.

I voted yes by the way, theres still some good stuff here, hidden amongst the crap.
Ask me holy bollix

tyrone realist

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 29, 2007, 10:11:11 AM
I see clarshack and neutral have also deleted their accounts.

In true East Tyrone style they've gone here www.continuitygaaboard.com

orangeman

I agree Holiness - there is some very good stuff - but this Dublin thing has turned some people off -