Is it worth bothering with this board any more?

Started by magpie seanie, August 28, 2007, 12:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it worth bothering with this board any more?

Yes
57 (80.3%)
No
14 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: September 04, 2007, 12:26:53 PM

thewobbler

If memory serves me right, it's not the first time Bud has stormed out of the bar. I'm pretty sure he quit "for good" when we were in our last home too.

While I agree entirely with everything Magpie Seanie said, I find it interesting that a week or so ago he liked the way the board is now - http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4372.msg145398#msg145398 and go to the top of page 2.

There is no doubt in my mind that the new structure has messed up what the board originally was about - GAA discussion. I might be making a sweeping generalisation here, but those people who genuinely enjoy talking about Gaelic Games are at least as interested in the club game as the county game. Iinstead of all these folk being found in the main room, perhaps in small huddles - but still intermingling, most of these folk can now be found in a series of small rooms, having little contact with what's going on in the main room. And something or someone has to fill that void. In the GAA board's case, it's a bunch of fcukin idiots.

It's like when a good pub is ruined because the landlord changes the decor and turns up the music to encourage a younger crowd.

Tyrone Dreamer

Maybe the board hasnt been the best recently but I agree with O'Neill on this one. For as long as Ive been reading this board people have been saying its finished etc. To many Tyrone and Armagh posters used to be the common reason. People will complain no matter what. Like most things in life some posters will post for a while then disappear but new posters will emerge, some of the posters who disappear ofter reappear within time. My bet is people will be saying its finished this time next year and the year after.

Dinny Breen

QuoteSurely the Mods should do something about Fearon and his need for a new thread everytime Spurs win/N Ireland win lose or draw/He gets a letter printed in a paper/or whever rant he happens to be on that day.
Its annoying as hell and as one poster pointed out last week roughly a quarter of his posts are new threads, in fact I think he is 3rd on the list of top ten topic starters.
We cannot be expected to police ourselves when certain posters seem to be above the law of the board.

Don't read them, Tony in fairness is someone with strong beliefs and although one would question his tone and choice language at times I find a lot his topics interesting particularly as a mexican with very little northern exposure. Likewise the debates between Donagh, Tony, Lynchbhoy, Nifan and SammyG are all excellent although they do drag on at times I think the board would be at a loss without them, many of these are instigated by Tony..

The one thing that annoys me is and epitomises the direction the board could be heading are the cheeky Dubs threads, a lot of those threads were overboard with their personal abuse aimed at posters and players, if I was a Dublin poster I too would feel paranoid, unless you're from Meath or Kerry and to a lesser extent Kildare and Cork you have no reason to be so anti-dub. Schadenfreude has been far too evident in the last few days..

The board needs to be self-regulated, I started on a thread on irrational dislike of players, this then turned into a thread where players were been called scumbags and w*nkerss, I was disgusted and just locked it and then deleted it...

The board is still good, it will have it's weak moments but there's life left in the old dog yet...
#newbridgeornowhere

stew

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 28, 2007, 12:55:15 PM
It definitely is true that standards have slipped.  There used to be good heated debates without the result of a complete slagging match.  One of the biggest issues I think comes from people who use multiple usernames, with the only aim to come on the Board to start winding everyone up.  

But then again, it is a public forum, is there really any point in creating loads of restrictions?

Couple of points here, one of the moderators has more aliases out there than anyone else and is one of the biggest wind up merchants on the board so how is he supposed to police people on their behaviour when he is at it all the time?
Secondly few, or hopefully few people take this board very seriously, if you were to take this board to heart all the time you would be suicidal.

One last thing..................... magpie seanie just one question for you. is the board just fine the way it is or is it fecked? you seem to want it both ways seanie and that just aint acceptable. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

we are blue... etc

Agree:
- with the poster who said it's not necessarily the new arrivals who bring the tone down or get involved in verbals.
- that "the board is dead" debate has been done before.
- that you don't have to read every thread or every post
- that as Dinny says you should self-regulate and lock the thread you started if it goes off the wall.
- that the mods have better things to be doing with their time than censoring posts or banning members.

Can I suggest a "code of conduct" to be posted as a sticky topic which we can all play a part in regulating. On other boards I've tended to PM lads if I think they're going off the wall. In my experience the type of people who start these arguments usually have no interest in continuing it on privately.

I hope Bud will be back. I get a great laugh out of his threads as he's very witty and writes as a Laoisman speaks -- that's not easy...

Gnevin

I think the main problem here is the lack of a even handed approach on the board  and hense why any set of rules cant be enforced.  I sent each of the mods a PM yesterday about the vile crap being throw out about the Dubs and i didnt get on reply , when Bud decides to level we have Mods posting in public , 3 of them its unreal .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

GAAboardmod1

Gnevin, your pm was dealt with. In fact two of us looked after it. We don't always pm back to everyone, we just deal with the request as best we can and leave it.

Gnevin

Quote from: GAAboardmod1 on August 28, 2007, 11:31:10 PM
Gnevin, your pm was dealt with. In fact two of us looked after it. We don't always pm back to everyone, we just deal with the request as best we can and leave it.
Would a pm kill you?

3/4 off you have left the need to post here yet other stuff is dealt with in a way which doesnt send a clear message .

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4220.msg149184#msg149184

Still post calling Dublin players scum bags this sort of stuff is pure hogan stand filth and should be changed by a mod , the user issued a warning and a post say its not acceptable , no point being cloak and dagger about it
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

johnpower

Who are the moderators ?. I think it should be a bit of crack but can see why it can get out if hand .

we are blue... etc

Quote from: Gnevin on August 28, 2007, 11:32:16 PM
Would a pm kill you?

Still post calling Dublin players scumbags this sort of stuff is pure hoganstand filth and should be changed by a mod , the user issued a warning and a post say its not acceptible , no point being cloak and dagger about it

Could this not have been done by PM as opposed to in the public forum?

Gnevin

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 28, 2007, 11:36:49 PM
Would a pm kill you?

Still post calling Dublin players scumbags this sort of stuff is pure hoganstand filth and should be changed by a mod , the user issued a warning and a post say its not acceptible , no point being cloak and dagger about it

Why should it be hidden , the mods have felt the need to public express their disappointment that Bud left and i agree he's a big lose but their is no point in bolting the door after the horse has bolted .

we are blue... etc

Quote from: Gnevin on August 28, 2007, 11:39:03 PM
Would a pm kill you?

Why should it be hidden , the mods have felt the need to public express their disappointment that Bud left and i agree he's a big lose but their is no point in bolting the door after the horse has bolted .

Firstly I 100% agree with the first bit highlighted above. If I had bothered to read through the 2 million posts on the match I might have seen the original post you mention. On the second point above, at no point did the mods mention Bud or any other poster specifically.

Back to the original point, do you have any suggestions about how the standard of posting can be improved? My own view is a code of conduct regulated by all users.

Gnevin

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 28, 2007, 11:52:17 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 28, 2007, 11:39:03 PM
Would a pm kill you?

Firstly I 100% agree with the first bit highlighted above. If I had bothered to read through the 2 million posts on the match I might have seen the original post you mention. On the second point above, at no point did the mods mention Bud or any other poster specifically.

Back to the original point, do you have any suggestions about how the standard of posting can be improved? My own view is a code of conduct regulated by all users.
Yes a code of conduct and more active mods or seen to be more active ie

Say for example
X player is a total kn**ker who sells drugs to kids

A mod should come in a edit my post with  [comment removed by mod1, please refrain from personal insults]
If i repost something i get
[This is an official warming post comments like and you will be banned , edited by mod1]
etc

If a thread is deleted user a reason should be given

This board should defend the characters of players who give so much for free, we are here to talk about their ball skills , not to insult them or abuse them

Sorry for the bold but i need to get that point across

As for the mod publicly expressing their disappointment i can see that they didn't my mistake.

we are blue... etc

If the Mods have time to edit posts I agree with you Gnevin. At the very least the poster should be given the opportunity to edit/withdraw the remark themselves. If they refuse then I say report them. If we agreed a code of conduct then we could point out to the offender what they've done wrong.

Quote from: Gnevin on August 28, 2007, 11:59:46 PM
This board should defend the characters of players who give so much for free, we are here to talk about their ball skills , not to insult them or abuse them

This bit is very important and I agree totally. One should always criticise the behaviour and not the person. If your argument is good enough you should never have the need to describe a person (be they a player or poster) as anything insulting.

Gnevin

Also why do why have the common sence Dublin GAA threads  Kerry Gaa thread what ever
And T Fearon daily rant has a new thread everyday i cant see how this is fair surely as a GAA board we should leaning in favour of GAA threads