Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

Quote from: Boycey on September 05, 2011, 06:13:46 PM
Any of you guys with an an eBook reader?

Heres a link to the Gary Nevilles autobiography http://www.ge.tt/#!/8hKCkO7/v/0

Would have posted it in book thread or somewhere but search function not working??

Yea downloaded it to the kindle app on my phone last week..

BenDover

If I want to read this on my PC, what's the best piece of software to download?

AZOffaly

You can download the Kindle App for PC as well.

EC Unique

QuoteFormer Manchester United defender Gary Neville has accused Liverpool of giving Chelsea a "helping hand" in the 2009/10 Premier League title race.

The Old Trafford club had hoped to close in on a record-breaking 19th domestic title but saw all hopes dashed after their West London counterparts left Anfield triumphant after a 2-0 win.

Although United would surpass Liverpool's tally just 12 months later, Neville - now a media pundit - has claimed that his club's long-standing adversaries 'eased off' against Chelsea.

"Some thought it would be a big test for them playing at Anfield with a couple of games to go and the title still up for grabs," he wrote in his column for the Mail on Sunday.

"But at United we knew that Liverpool would ease off if that meant depriving us of the championship, especially a 19th championship that would take us past their record.

"We'd heard rumours during the week that some Liverpool players had turned round to one of their young lads and said: 'There's not a f****** chance we're going to let United win this league.'

"I've no idea whether that rumour was true or not, but you could see the game was a nice end-of-season stroll for Liverpool.

"You could see half their players were on their summer holidays. Yet we couldn't complain, not publicly. It was up to us to make sure we weren't in a vulnerable position.

"But it didn't say much for Liverpool."

Neville, 36, also took aim at the Reds side that lost the 1996 FA Cup final to United.

Eric Cantona's stoppage time goal proved the difference between the sides and Neville believes that Roy Evans's players were distracted by their well-documented extracurricular activities.

He added: "The Liverpool team we faced in 1996 had talent but their professionalism wasn't close to ours at United.

"They turned up at Wembley for the FA Cup final wearing shocking white suits, looking like they had done most of their preparations in the tailors.

"Perhaps those Liverpool lads have no regrets from their careers.

"I don't doubt they enjoyed themselves.

"But, at United, the time to party is when you've won something."

AZOffaly

That's a pretty strong allegation from Neville. I wonder how much of that is the ghost writer. He's basically accusing Liverpool of throwing the game, and that is not something I associate with LFC.

magpie seanie

Its pretty harsh alright. I mean if you take away Gerrard's defense splitting pass in that game Neville has no case whatsoever!  ;D

EC Unique

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 06, 2011, 10:00:12 AM
Its pretty harsh alright. I mean if you take away Gerrard's defense splitting pass in that game Neville has no case whatsoever!  ;D

:D

Minder

Or you could argue that Chelsea were far superior to Liverpool and ended up 23 points ahead of them.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Wasn't there some game last year where Liverpool actually won the game and it was a help to United, or am I raving? But I do remember the Blackburn game, and King Kenny returning to Anfield, and Liverpool beating them on the last day, despite what was at stake. That's the LFC I know.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 06, 2011, 10:00:12 AM
Or the 3rd time in his career Gerrard has done that. Neville just being bitter & trying to sell books...Liverpool were in a bad shape at that stage. They had just been knocked out on Thursday night of the Europa League.

Glad we threw the Blackburn match in 1995 though... ;). Was Nev playing against West Ham the same day?

Bingo

Gary Neville - Man of the People - taken from a LFC forum that reposted it from RAWK, which I don't go on:

From the auld arse thread on Rawk, (BEST THREAD on there) posted by Johnnowhite who is a utd fan in his 60's, posts good stuff

Close Colette ...but no coconut love.

My mate Tom received an invite from Alan Keegan (Alan's the United match-day announcer and a really good bloke too) to meet up in Washington DC with some of the official United party following the friendly against Barca. Tom showed up to find as well as Alan also Paddy Crerand, Andy Cole and the guy all Scousers love to hate, former player and now "an official club ambassador" Gary Neville were there.

They got nattering about this and that and Tom who holds firm views on what's wrong with the game today launched into saying how the game and the clubs were alienating themselves from the real fans. Paddy's heard Tom before so he knew not to interrupt the flow. He knew that Tom is a legend in United supporter circles - and who as a lad, was a regular attender at United reserves training sessions at the Cliff and was well known to the emerging talent that was to become the great Babes of the mid-50's.

Duncan Edwards was - and still is - Tom's idol and Tom has some really lovely memories of Salford's Eddie Colman, Doncaster's David Pegg and indeed all of the lads that would go on to become the future of United, including a bit of a practical joking Geordie lad from Ashington or some place like that - somebody Charlton or something like that was his name -  whatever happened to him I wonder ?

So, the "club ambassador" interrupts Tom and tells him to shut up because he doesn't know what he's talking about. He added too that "it's c*nts like you that get the club a bad name."

Well for a second or two, you could have heard a pin drop then Tom gave him both barrels. He accused the "ambassador" of long forgetting where he'd came from, with his millions in the bank. He reminded him of how lucky he ought to consider himself to be getting to wear the shirt for so long given his limited talent. The "ambassador" eloquently retorted with a fu*k off and walked away. Tom though 66 was ready to smack the bastard but Crerand held him from going after Neville. He had to make do with shouting "You ignorant tw*t" at the "ambassador's" back.

Me and Tom are 6 or 7 months apart in age, were raised within 2 miles of each other and in fact, we discovered during our natterings about football matters and Manchester that his father and mine both worked at the English Steel in Openshaw, Manchester 11 though we never knew each other as kids. We are of the same generation and from the same mould. We were privileged to see the start of the revolution Matt was making happen and of course, tragically, we saw the end of that dream too.
We know what we know.

We followed a team whose players came from and identified with the same working class communities that trekked to see them every match day. They held themselves fortunate indeed to earn maybe 3 times what the average supporter earned per week. They knew also how bloody hard it was back then for a working man to put food on the table for 5,6 or 7 kids. But they knew who they were and where they hailed from.

Today's fans and maybe not just United fans - or millionaire ex-players too it seems - haven't a clue where the heart and soul of their clubs came from and regrettably it seems they care even less.

There's one thing we old bastards have though that todays millionaires - even bleedin' club ambassador ones - couldn't ever come close to affording. We have all those memories of a time when values in everyday life mattered - and when people mattered. Woe betide you if the old feller or mam heard you'd let them down.

new devil

:D :D I seen some Liverpool fan posted it on red cafe yesterday too... Or maybe it was you bingo?  :P

It must be true if it comes from a Liverpool forum... And anyway united went straight to the airport after the barca game so don't no where all that could of taken place

magpie seanie

Bingo

Quote from: new devil on September 06, 2011, 10:36:55 AM
:D :D I seen some Liverpool fan posted it on red cafe yesterday too... Or maybe it was you bingo?  :P

It must be true if it comes from a Liverpool forum... And anyway united went straight to the airport after the barca game so don't no where all that could of taken place

I suffer enough reading this thread from time to time, I couldn't red cafe.  ;)

No idea if true or not but thought it would add some debate to the Gary Neville issue. I'm sure United may have went straight to the airport but the ambassadors could well have stayed behind to keep the masses/sponsors happy. Not even sure if the "story" mentions after the match or before, all i was interested in was the Gary Neville been a w**ker bit  ;D

new devil

Quote from: Bingo on September 06, 2011, 10:26:40 AM
Gary Neville - Man of the People - taken from a LFC forum that reposted it from RAWK, which I don't go on:

From the auld arse thread on Rawk, (BEST THREAD on there) posted by Johnnowhite who is a utd fan in his 60's, posts good stuff

Close Colette ...but no coconut love.

My mate Tom received an invite from Alan Keegan (Alan's the United match-day announcer and areally good bloke too) to meet up in Washington DC with some of the official United party following the friendly against Barca. Tom showed up to find as well as Alan also Paddy Crerand, Andy Cole and the guy all Scousers love to hate, former player and now "an official club ambassador" Gary Neville were there.

They got nattering about this and that and Tom who holds firm views on what's wrong with the game today launched into saying how the game and the clubs were alienating themselves from the real fans. Paddy's heard Tom before so he knew not to interrupt the flow. He knew that Tom is a legend in United supporter circles - and who as a lad, was a regular attender at United reserves training sessions at the Cliff and was well known to the emerging talent that was to become the great Babes of the mid-50's.

Duncan Edwards was - and still is - Tom's idol and Tom has some really lovely memories of Salford's Eddie Colman, Doncaster's David Pegg and indeed all of the lads that would go on to become the future of United, including a bit of a practical joking Geordie lad from Ashington or some place like that - somebody Charlton or something like that was his name -  whatever happened to him I wonder ?

So, the "club ambassador" interrupts Tom and tells him to shut up because he doesn't know what he's talking about. He added too that "it's c*nts like you that get the club a bad name."

Well for a second or two, you could have heard a pin drop then Tom gave him both barrels. He accused the "ambassador" of long forgetting where he'd came from, with his millions in the bank. He reminded him of how lucky he ought to consider himself to be getting to wear the shirt for so long given his limited talent. The "ambassador" eloquently retorted with a f**k off and walked away. Tom though 66 was ready to smack the b**tard but Crerand held him from going after Neville. He had to make do with shouting "You ignorant tw*t" at the "ambassador's" back.

Me and Tom are 6 or 7 months apart in age, were raised within 2 miles of each other and in fact, we discovered during our natterings about football matters and Manchester that his father and mine both worked at the English Steel in Openshaw, Manchester 11 though we never knew each other as kids. We are of the same generation and from the same mould. We were privileged to see the start of the revolution Matt was making happen and of course, tragically, we saw the end of that dream too.
We know what we know.

We followed a team whose players came from and identified with the same working class communities that trekked to see them every match day. They held themselves fortunate indeed to earn maybe 3 times what the average supporter earned per week. They knew also how bloody hard it was back then for a working man to put food on the table for 5,6 or 7 kids. But they knew who they were and where they hailed from.

Today's fans and maybe not just United fans - or millionaire ex-players too it seems - haven't a clue where the heart and soul of their clubs came from and regrettably it seems they care even less.

There's one thing we old b**tards have though that todays millionaires - even bleedin' club ambassador ones - couldn't ever come close to affording. We have all those memories of a time when values in everyday life mattered - and when people mattered. Woe betide you if the old feller or mam heard you'd let them down.