Sam Maguire Qualifiers 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on June 01, 2022, 02:04:47 AM
I'm hearing through the grapevine that HQ want the quarter-final draw to be the same outline as the semi-final draw, that is, Ulster v Connacht and Leinster v Munster, with winners of one province playing the beaten finalist in the other (same as the minor draw).

Meaning the draw is:

Derry v Roscommon*, unless Monaghan or Tyrone beat Roscommon

Galway v Donegal*, unless Mayo beat Donegal

Dublin v Limerick*, unless Meath beat Limerick

Kerry v Kildare*, unless Cork beat Kildare.

* = or the team that beats them

What happens if one or more of the "unless" things happens is anyone's guess at this stage - will see how it looks after this weekends games and the draw, I suppose.

Not sure if all that makes sense, but that's what I heard and want to get it out there before any conspiracy theories start.

Edit: I think I have the "unless" parts correct on avoiding repeat fixtures...remember beaten provincial finalist can't meet each other, so Donegal can't meet Roscommon so Donegal v Derry cannot recur, same way Galway and Roscommon cannot recur.  Edit 2: Likewise, Kildare can't meet Limerick.

Or am I getting my explanation all wrong?

Edit 3 to reflect June 4 results: Monaghan and Meath out.
Edit 4: Tyrone out

So either Mayo beating Donegal or Cork beating Kildare will upset this theory.  Will see where the draw tomorrow morning leaves us.

Farrandeelin

Hard to know who I want, ideally Limerick, but that would leave us 'all is well we're off to Croke Park' malarkey before coming undone.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thejuice

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 05, 2022, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: highorlow on June 05, 2022, 01:05:51 AM
What's gone wrong with Meath GAA?

Massive population, loads of cash, perfect land for good pitches?

Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. They have been smothered by the Dublin juggernaut the last 20+ years.

I could write a book on what's wrong with Meath at the present time but the main thing appears to be the level of preparation and coaching from U20 and  upwards. We have had decent competitive minors for the best part of a decade but that success hasn't been repeated as the players move up through the ranks. We're doing a certain amount right up to a point but way behind elsewhere.

As for the game this weekend, I was away and to honest I can't be bothered watching it. It wasn't a surprise at all and the writing was on the wall from the first round of the league this year when Galway held us scoreless for most of the game.

The McEntee era is over as far as everyone is concerned although I've not seen him announce it yet but he will be pushed out very quickly if he has any intention of staying on. Unlike previous years there is no one backing him this time. Apart from 2019 his tenure has been markedly underwhelming for all the promise he showed coming into the job. Sad fact is we haven't beaten a big team under him but hammered plenty of teams below us.

His continued selection of Shane McEntee has raised eyebrows from the beginning and bringing him back for the Dublin game this year shows how skewed Andy's perception of him is. Having Colm Nally as coach and Niall Ronan for S&C hasn't given us much

As for who is his replacement is uncertain right now. Lots of names being thrown about but the general sense is we need to look outside the county next time round.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 05, 2022, 08:55:28 PM
Hard to know who I want, ideally Limerick, but that would leave us 'all is well we're off to Croke Park' malarkey before coming undone.
Would like to avoid Donegal, but as you alluded to it could be a pyrrhic victory, as I feel it we meet Dublin or Kerry in QFinal we could get hammered, so our only chance of progressing would be to draw Derry assuming we cannot draw Galway. A lot of ifs and buts. 

Armagh18

Genuinely think we'll beat any of the provincial final losers if the game is in Croker. Only concern is the amount of injuries we're picking up. Is next round of qualifiers this weekend?

Blowitupref

Round 2 draw

Roscommon v Clare
Limerick v Cork
Kildare v Mayo
Donegal v Armagh

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dreadnought

Donegal v Armagh was always happening. Unreal how the Ulster teams draw each other no matter the competition

Harold Disgracey

Armagh v Donegal, what a surprise!

Armaghtothebone

This draw is a joke.
Could have bet the pension on Donegal v Armagh

yellowcard

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 06, 2022, 08:10:35 AM
Genuinely think we'll beat any of the provincial final losers if the game is in Croker. Only concern is the amount of injuries we're picking up. Is next round of qualifiers this weekend?

Yes. I think Armagh will beat Donegal to be honest

Gael80

The only thing to do is laugh after that draw. How can 'a draw' throw up an all Ulster game time and time again? There were two Ulster counties left then by pure luck of the draw they get each other....🤔

Derryman forever

Did they not say that the daw would avoid any rematch if possible.
Surely this was possible.

imtommygunn

That shouldn't be allowed. Ffs how long is it since they played.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Derryman forever on June 06, 2022, 08:43:50 AM
Did they not say that the daw would avoid any rematch if possible.
Surely this was possible.

For quarter-finals only.