A Tyrone book

Started by seafoid, October 23, 2016, 12:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 06, 2016, 11:32:54 AM
Let's say you are the mother of a boy who has just graduated from medschool with a 1st class degree. He is well liked in his community and college and is looking forward to a successful career as a doctor.
He is out celebrating with some friends and he has just met this girl on tinder who he agrees to go meet and they have some fun. Nobody knows for sure what they got up to except themselves.

A week later a strange man contacts you to say your son took advantage of his 15 year old daughter even though it was HER who created a false Tinder account and HER who pretended she was 18.
The DPP says he will not prosecute your son as it was an honest mistake yet your son's name is now tarnished with this and it is the talk of the town.

Who do you feel was the victim here? Who was the person lying to get what they wanted?
I'm just wondering would people's views be different in this case to that of McCarron's.

I actually believe he is telling the truth that he had no idea the girl was 15 and no charges are being brought with regard to it which I think is fair enough.

He actually called himself the victim in the whole scenario (because it cost him a good night) which is where it all falls down. His choice of words is terrible in this instance and he should never have said it. You would think he would have got himself some media training to avoid this type of thing but he clearly didn't as his interviews have been brutal (lak lak y'know, lak).

While what happened to him was unfortunate you can't be going round blaming 15 year old girls for mistakes which you probably shouldn't have made in the first place!!!

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2016, 12:34:55 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on December 06, 2016, 12:21:24 PM
By the way I am not defending McCarron's actions as he should not have been cheating on his GF.
I'm just trying to gauge how people would react to my other example and wondering in that case would most people attach no blame to the young girl.
Sex with a minor can lead to life imprisonment. It is not the same as was the ball wide or not.
Consent may not even be relevant.

Why can't he apologise?

We need a little perspective here.

If he groomed the minor for sex, knowing that he/she was a minor, broke solemn vows and then was part of an organisation that did everything possible to silence the victim and cover up the abuse, then only some of us in Ireland would be outraged.

McCarron got it wrong, as he always seems to do, but there was no intent here by him to groom or abuse a minor, as far as I can see. Why he needs to write a book and tell us all about it I can't quite fathom.

http://youthworkireland.ie/images/uploads/general/Sexual_Offences_Position_Paper.pdf

Section 3 of the Criminal Law (Sex Offences) Act 2006 as amended by Section 5 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) (Amendment) Act 2007 makes it a criminal offence to engage or attempt to engage in a sexual act with a child under 17 years. The maximum
sentence is five years
and ten years if the accused is a person in authority. A person in authority means:
1 A parent, step-parent, guardian, grandparent, uncle or aunt of the victim, or
2 any person acting in loco parentis (in place of parent or parents) to the victim, or
3 any person responsible for the education, supervision or welfare of the victim.
The maximum sentence is greater for a second or subsequent offence.
The accused may argue that he or she honestly believed that the child was aged 17 years or over. The court must then consider whether or not that belief was reasonable. It is not a defence to show that the child consented to the sexual act.
The consent of the Director of Public Prosecutions is required for any prosecution of a child under the age of 17 years for this offence. A person who is convicted of this offence and is not more than two years older than the victim is not subject to the requirements of the Sex Offenders Act 2001. This means they will not have their name placed on the Sex Offenders Register.

I don't know if the above is referring to the only relevant act, so another offence may apply.

MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

Yes his interviews have been terrible for the most part and you'd nearly wonder does he just not care what people think of him.
Maybe he wants to be as controversial as possible to get more publicity and so to sell more books.

Some people including myself thought why doesn't the father just shut up and keep his head down now as he's making it much worse for his daughter. I suppose he's annoyed as he thought this had all blown over a year ago and the rumours had stopped but suddenly the story is being told in a book and he has no control over that. I'd say it was hard enough to deal with it when he first heard but now for everyone in his town to read about it in a book makes it much much worse. I can sympathise with the father a lot more now as his daughter will be labelled with this for a long time. It must be tough knowing that they guy involving is trying to promote the story even more to earn more money from it.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Should Tyrone bother with him next year? If he thought the abuse he took on the pitch last year was bad it will be a lot worse after this book and the revelations about a 15 year old, accidental or not he will be called a nonce. Derry were particularly hard on poor Cathal last year.

Take Your Points

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 06, 2016, 11:32:54 AM
Let's say you are the mother of a boy who has just graduated from medschool with a 1st class degree. He is well liked in his community and college and is looking forward to a successful career as a doctor.
He is out celebrating with some friends and he has just met this girl on tinder who he agrees to go meet and they have some fun. Nobody knows for sure what they got up to except themselves.

A week later a strange man contacts you to say your son took advantage of his 15 year old daughter even though it was HER who created a false Tinder account and HER who pretended she was 18.
The DPP says he will not prosecute your son as it was an honest mistake yet your son's name is now tarnished with this and it is the talk of the town.

Who do you feel was the victim here? Who was the person lying to get what they wanted?
I'm just wondering would people's views be different in this case to that of McCarron's.

The PPS in N.Ireland would definitely prosecute him and allow the court and justice system to make the decision on whether it was an honest mistake.  This attitude in N.Ireland PPS is seen time and again given the cases that are brought to court for decisions by judges or juries.  The PPS tends to operate with less discretion and brings many cases to court that could have been dealt with in other ways.

In the incident being discussed in this thread, either the Gardai or prosecutors shortcutted the normal decision making in the justice system by taking a decision not to prosecute McCarron.  It was a case that the girl's family would have wanted to be prosecuted given the actions and statement from the father.

It was also a case in the public interest as it would have highlighted an issue that must be occurring much more often than it is publicised given the use of social media in relationships and difficulties in determining age.  For example, age restriction on licensed premises has been an issue for as long as the law has existed to restrict access to over 18s, door staff are in a no win situation in trying to work out the age of young women who can relatively easily hide their immaturity or present fake documents to show their DoBs.

You have to wonder why the prosecution did not proceed, what influence prevailed to prevent the decision being passed to judge or jury.  Would the same lax attitude be applied to other genuine mistakes made by individuals? There is no evidence to indicate it would have been.

longballin

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/open-book-cathal-mccarron-gives-us-new-insight-into-tyrone-433899.html  Kieran Shannon's view - interesting McCarron talks of Ricey chief sledger like he is a God but when sledging comes to his own door...

skeog

Cathal was back to his old self at post league final celebrations.He was reliving his memories of the corridors.

Jinxy

Quote from: longballin on December 07, 2016, 09:29:25 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/open-book-cathal-mccarron-gives-us-new-insight-into-tyrone-433899.html  Kieran Shannon's view - interesting McCarron talks of Ricey chief sledger like he is a God but when sledging comes to his own door...

That bit about the exchange with Ryan Porter says a lot about McCarron's character.
Porter said something stupid in the heat of the moment and more or less apologised straight away for it, but our Cathal was having none of it, which is a bit rich when you look at his own rap sheet.
Always the victim.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 11:31:21 AM

That bit about the exchange with Ryan Porter says a lot about McCarron's character.
Porter said something stupid in the heat of the moment and more or less apologised straight away for it, but our Cathal was having none of it, which is a bit rich when you look at his own rap sheet.
Always the victim.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200611/injustice-collecting

The tendency to itemise every unfair knock we've ever suffered is known as injustice collecting.
Sometimes the injustices are personal, as in, "My boss unfairly promoted Rick over me." This kind of self-talk leads to anger. At other times, the catalogued outrages lead to overwrought generalizations, such as, "Nothing ever goes well; this is too unfair." This type of thinking leads to hopelessness and rage.

Main Street

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 06, 2016, 03:34:24 PM
Yes his interviews have been terrible for the most part and you'd nearly wonder does he just not care what people think of him.
Maybe he wants to be as controversial as possible to get more publicity and so to sell more books.

Some people including myself thought why doesn't the father just shut up and keep his head down now as he's making it much worse for his daughter. I suppose he's annoyed as he thought this had all blown over a year ago and the rumours had stopped but suddenly the story is being told in a book and he has no control over that. I'd say it was hard enough to deal with it when he first heard but now for everyone in his town to read about it in a book makes it much much worse. I can sympathise with the father a lot more now as his daughter will be labelled with this for a long time. It must be tough knowing that they guy involving is trying to promote the story even more to earn more money from it.
His interviews have been terrible (at least the newstalk one)  because his narcissistic account is of how his addiction has affected him, not others.

I can empathise with the father to a certain extent,  not to the oppressive control he sought to impose on the daughter's life, but with the haunting image of an amoral adult man leering over his 15 year old daughter.

Take Your Points

The recently published 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) used by the medical profession lists precisely the 9 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). Only the extreme, or "classic," narcissist fits all of these criteria, DSM specifies that an individual need meet only 5 of them to warrant this unflattering label.

Here are DSM's requirements (slightly condensed, and with minor bracketed amendments) for "earning" the unenviable diagnosis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance.
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
4. Requires excessive admiration [regularly fishes for compliments, and is highly susceptible to flattery].
5. Has a sense of entitlement.
6. Is interpersonally exploitative.
7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling or unable to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
9. Shows arrogant, haughty [rude and abusive] behaviors or attitudes.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 11:31:21 AM

Always the victim.

100%.

He's a w**ker. Wish he wasn't associated with us at all.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

criostlinn

Imagine the abuse our blue cousins in the big shmoke would be dishing out to McCarron if Tyrone were any way a threat to the Dubs. The Hill 16 army page itself would crash the internet.

seafoid

I'd say he has some kind of trauma on top of the gambling. Never learnt empathy. Which would explain why it is all about him.

redzone

The last bit sounds familiar