Saint Theresa of Calcutta

Started by T Fearon, September 04, 2016, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 21, 2016, 06:18:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2016, 06:06:57 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 21, 2016, 05:56:34 PM
She appears to have met the churchs criteria for a saint so why would they not make her one?

Alot of shite talked here like Mother Theresa was a medical professional running a hospice or hospital. Her charities were performed by nuns with litle or no professional training so of course their medical services are not going to be on a a par with a modern hospital. But a medical hospital couldn't afford to provide the care coverage in the way her charities did.

As for her statement about the poor I dont agree with i,t but Im looking at it from a bigger picture than her. She is not a politician she was just someone who saw the poor and helped them so i understand where she was coming from. Imagine a Christian nurse wading into India and telling their culture and traditions need to be changed, she would likely have been burned out of it.

This is a good place to start.

Can you reference the Bible's criteria on saints?

Whats the bible got to do with it?

For a start, to answer Tony's question, Papal Infallibility cannot conflict with scripture. So that is why I was asking where the church's criteria for Sainthood comes from. Because if it isn't in the Bible, it is garbage under the church's own rules.

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2016, 06:24:58 PM
She appears to have met the churchs criteria for a saint so why would they not make her one?

Alot of shite talked here like Mother Theresa was a medical professional running a hospice or hospital. Her charities were performed by nuns with litle or no professional training so of course their medical services are not going to be on a a par with a modern hospital. But a medical hospital couldn't afford to provide the care coverage in the way her charities did.

As for her statement about the poor I dont agree with i,t but Im looking at it from a bigger picture than her. She is not a politician she was just someone who saw the poor and helped them so i understand where she was coming from. Imagine a Christian nurse wading into India and telling their culture and traditions need to be changed, she would likely have been burned out of it.

For a start, to answer Tony's question, Papal Infallibility cannot conflict with scripture. So that is why I was asking where the church's criteria for Sainthood comes from. Because if it isn't in the Bible, it is garbage under the church's own rules.

Maybe in Calvinist churches, but not the Catholic church where scripture  would be considered more in need of interpretation as it is all in context of time and situation

seafoid

Papal infallibility is incompatible with bureaucracy and misogyny. JP2 was a chancer.

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 21, 2016, 06:33:31 PM

Maybe in Calvinist churches, but not the Catholic church where scripture  would be considered more in need of interpretation as it is all in context of time and situation

Why did Jesus leave so much open to interpretation according to some who interpret His word? Surely anyone can see that such system would be open to abuse.

Think about it, why is the greatest authority in the universe, i.e. The Word of God, left wide to open to interpretation by every crackpot ever born? What is the point of that? Why bother??
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Well if it didnt need interpretation I would be spending my life making a needle large enough for a camel to pass thru and picking up rattling snakes like those eejits in the bible belt.

Everything needs interpretation some things more so than others

Besides the bible is not the only postulate for catholic doctrine,... faith is probably more important than scripture.

Your moving on with the why bother question? I bother because I have faith. How about you? Why bother with it if you arent bothered by it?

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2016, 06:41:47 PM

Why did Jesus leave so much open to interpretation according to some who interpret His word? Surely anyone can see that such system would be open to abuse.

Think about it, why is the greatest authority in the universe, i.e. The Word of God, left wide to open to interpretation by every crackpot ever born? What is the point of that? Why bother??
The prophets operated between the bronze and iron ages.
They had a limited understanding of things
They probably were a great bunch of lads but I wouldn't live off a Bronze age diet
Climate change will destroy the monotheistic religions

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2016, 07:11:21 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2016, 06:41:47 PM

The prophets operated between the bronze and iron ages.
They had a limited understanding of things
They probably were a great bunch of lads but I wouldn't live off a Bronze age diet
Climate change will destroy the monotheistic religions

You do come out with some good ones seafoid which I mostly ignore but you hooked me this time

I think Id rather live off a bronze age diet than a modern one to be honest. In fact arent we going even further back than that now with the paleo diet

Your last line is pretty funny. Although I suppose it fits in nicely on your belief that humans will be extinct in 100 years from climate change so I suppose all religions will go with them maybe your thinking the other ones will live on thru  reincarnation?.

muppet

Why would you live off a Bronze Age religion?

As for the interpretation, the 'Eye of the Needle' is accepted as a metaphor from the era, by every religion I have heard of.

Unfortunately for lots of people down the ages, most of the rest of the Bible is not accepted as anything other than 'The Word of God'.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Joe the big 3 monotheistic religions all have this inbuilt notion of progress. And climate change will show that to be nonsense.

smelmoth

Quote from: stew on September 20, 2016, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 19, 2016, 08:55:01 AM
Is it beyond you to find out why they might stew? Obviously is  ::)

She was human and as such was flawed, made mistakes like anyone else, what you cannot take away from her is the fact she did much to help countless people in Calcutta and dedicated her entire life to serving the people of that city.

Her legacy is a great one, far better than the one I or anyone else on this board will ever leave, as for being a saint? Not for me but obviously for others.

That bit is very much in doubt

smelmoth

Quote from: stew on September 20, 2016, 11:17:22 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2016, 10:47:53 AM
Its sounds as if you can see why

Some atheists cannot give credit to any person of faith no matter how much they contribute to the world! Pathetic really.

Christians, Muslims, Atheists and people from all races and creeds have contributed to the human condition, Mother Theresa leaves a tremendous Legacy and is a hero to many and deserves respect.

How do you account for the evidence to the contrary?

smelmoth

So if someone set up a hospice today, staffed it with volunteers with little medical qualification and the proceeded to turn away medicines, turn away medical assistance even after been told that the medical and hygiene practices were not up to snuff and actually endangering life, withheld medicines and said that people were sent to the hospice by god to die and treatment was not necessary, you would say "crack on"

I find that view dangerous.

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on September 21, 2016, 06:09:08 PM
Don't you understand Papal infallibility thus his unique powers to confer sainthood?

Does anyone understand papal infallibility?

Did it exist from the start? Some belting decisions of the pontifs are going to be difficult to reconcile with the infallibility tag?

Or did it only exist when Pius IX got a bit upity? How do we know we was being infallible when he reached this decision?

T Fearon

On a not directly related issue,my 87 year old father was recently honoured for 50 years service to St Vincent De Paul Society.He is to be featured in a forthcoming article in the Irish Catholic.Truly proud Moment for the family.He and my late mother were privileged to meet Pope John Paul II in Rome back in the late 80s.

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2016, 08:14:46 PM
Why would you live off a Bronze Age religion?

As for the interpretation, the 'Eye of the Needle' is accepted as a metaphor from the era, by every religion I have heard of.

Unfortunately for lots of people down the ages, most of the rest of the Bible is not accepted as anything other than 'The Word of God'.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasnt, it certainly is these days due to interpretation as I said. And everything that Jesus said was all said within a certain context so that has to be weighed up as well.

The last time I went to mass it was 21th century. Besides Christianity was born in the historical era not the Bronze age, and religion can be traced back to the birth of Civilization. I also drink beer and eat bread like those in the Bronze age, I presume you dont consume those?

Anyway Ive been through this numerous times with you I follow the religion because I feel it best reflects my faith and spirituality nothing to do with what era it came from.

And more to the point what has this got to do with the criteria for Mother Theresa's canonisation?

It appears that despite continually trying to divert every religious discussion into divulging personal aspects of my faith on the internet (which I am obviously quite willing to do) you continue to avoid the questions about your own faith? Perhaps you could give me a small insight... Do you believe that there is a spiritual aspect to yourself?