Saint Theresa of Calcutta

Started by T Fearon, September 04, 2016, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2016, 08:02:35 PM
It wasn't always so,however

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/foc041-mother-teresa
That was before all the revelations about child rape.
And it is another generation. Who don't drink Harp. Or use chef salad cream. Things move on.

T Fearon

Yes,now HM Queen Elizabeth II is welcomed with open arms

The Subbie

Teasy's consorting with Licio Gelli must not bother you either Tony, a mason, ultra right wing failed Italian coup plotter, one of Mussolinis main men.

She also had a bit of time for the various Albanian despots, flew in on the private jets , hob nobbed with the Albanians and fucked off with the cash for a few photos, ignore the famine in her native land to f**k of back to Calcutta and preach her own brand of Opus Dei witch craft there.

Teasy had a bit of a thing for the right wing nut jobbery, I suppose they were rich, which ultimately was all Teasy was after, the wonga

T Fearon

And she used the money for what? Was it not to alleviate poverty? The Saint saw good in everyone.

theskull1

She was a whore for despots and swindlers and western governments loved her for it.

In some ways I feel sorry for her, but the swindle that is Mother Teresa is another example of how the elite control the narrative
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Quote from: T Fearon on September 06, 2016, 07:12:37 AM
And she used the money for what? Was it not to alleviate poverty? The Saint saw good in everyone.

She alleviated nothing of the sort you misguiding fool

"Poverty alleviation involves the strategic use of tools such as education, economic development, health and income redistribution to improve the livelihoods of the worlds poorest by governments and internationally approved organizations."
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

MoChara

Quote from: theskull1 on September 06, 2016, 07:55:52 AM
She was a whore for despots and swindlers and western governments loved her for it.

In some ways I feel sorry for her, but the swindle that is Mother Teresa is another example of how the elite control the narrative

The elite always sanitize the Iconic figures, they wanted Mandela hung when he came out of jail and considered him and inspiration when dead.

The best example is the state 1916 commemorations this year, lets remember those brave men of Easter week who were wrong and it was Redmond was the hero of the day such twisted logic to suit current day politik.

The Subbie

Quote from: T Fearon on September 06, 2016, 07:12:37 AM

That's all it was about.
If she was on a higher moral plane than the rest of us she would have thought " hold on a minute, this Charles Keating character has ripped off tens of thousands of ordinary hard working people, cleaned them of their life savings, decimated families and has never shown 1 seconds remorse for doing so, should I, the venerated one, be even acknowledging this creature let alone accepting his filthy millions?"

No Teasy said " thanks Charles, what time is the Gulf Stream landing at? I need to pop over and see the Duvailers, lovely people"
As far as I'm concerned she is on a par with a Deep South TV evangelical preacher, show me by your donation how much you love God, don't see those charlatans getting beatification.

A corrupt old woman is all she was.

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on September 05, 2016, 08:25:09 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 05, 2016, 01:08:40 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on September 04, 2016, 09:33:10 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2016, 09:26:56 PM
Believers obviously believe in the supernatural power of God,therefore when someone recovers from previously diagnosed terminal cancer for example,that is inexplicable to the medical profession,that in my opinion is a miracle.There have been numerous such cures,unexplained,at Lourdes for example.

But far more important for me anyway is the Saintly life led by Saint Mother Theresa,the main factor in her canonisation.

The current running total for cures claimed by the church is 4. All four are things that can go away (and have done so in people who haven't anywhere near the south of france). At least 3 of the people where receiving medical treatment for their complaint.

So how many legs have grown back? How many holes in the heart have repaired?

What is a "saintly life"? The serial denial of medical treatment to the dying? Would that be saintly?

Have you ever been to Lourdes? Genuine question. For me, and I've been 9/10 times and have yet to see someone get cured, the miracle is not in the cures but in the joy and happiness the place brings to people who have a lot of suffering in their lives. And to people who don't have as much suffering. Also on a personal note, one of my journeys there, a month after the death of my father, allowed to stay healing and that in itself was a miracle, tho not one the church would recognise.

Pardon me for asking but what qualities/properties does Lourdes have that bestows this great healing power? Is it some sort of placebo effect (and who would begrudge anyone that feeling)? Do the claims of the church and the Lourdes Syndicat d'Initiative not go that bit further?

And no I haven't been to the town. Been to Pau though. Felt pretty good about it.

What are the claims? I assume it's to do with miraculous cures? I've never seen anyone cured in Lourdes. We used to joke in the baths about how to get wheelchair people out. We would always say we don't need to, you chuck them in one end and they walk out the other. Like I said for me the miracle is in the happiness and peace it brings people.
As for healing, I can't answer your question. Maybe the answer is in the fact that I've seen the happiness brought to people in Lourdes. All I can say is after that particular trip I felt better and was able to start healing from the pain the death of my father brought.

easytiger95

Is she Saint Mother Teresa or just Saint Teresa? The "mother" seems superfluous? Unless it's for other saints - "that Teresa is one bad mother".

Oh by the way Tony, doubting God's existence for 50 years (which her own letters prove) definitely puts her at least on the agnostic side of things, rather than a true believer.

Not that makes her any worse a person mind you. It's just a bit mad the church canonising someone, claiming they performed miracles, when self same person spent the majority of her life wondering if it all wasn't just a bit of a cod.

She comes across as deeply, deeply unhappy in her own words.

Don't know anything about the other scandals as I never had much interest in her - but as for all us soulless Dubliners compared to the devout Belfast men, I think it's very telling that our secular attitude was closer to the reality of her inner life.

omaghjoe

From my own experience ET, doubt does not mean lack of faith, in fact it means faith is all the stronger since you have considered other possibilities and still have the belief.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2016, 08:18:37 AM
Well deserved honour for this truly iconic figure who led a saintly life,and an example to all of us.I only learned recently that she studied to become a nun in Dublin and established a house near the peace line and lived there in Belfast for a couple of years in the early 1970s.

My only regret is that I am not in Rome for the ceremony today (and I commend RTE for its live coverage) though I will be in Rome in the latter part of this week.
Iconic Saint my arse. Undoubtedly led a group of nuns that did some good work, raised a lot of dough, but then so do many charities. Miracles are bullshit a bit like moving statues. No wonder the Prods laugh at us.

Rossfan

Prods take the Bible seriously and the Gospels are full of miracles.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 06, 2016, 03:44:39 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2016, 08:18:37 AM
Well deserved honour for this truly iconic figure who led a saintly life,and an example to all of us.I only learned recently that she studied to become a nun in Dublin and established a house near the peace line and lived there in Belfast for a couple of years in the early 1970s.

My only regret is that I am not in Rome for the ceremony today (and I commend RTE for its live coverage) though I will be in Rome in the latter part of this week.
Iconic Saint my arse. Undoubtedly led a group of nuns that did some good work, raised a lot of dough, but then so do many charities. Miracles are bullshit a bit like moving statues. No wonder the Prods laugh at us.

Are they? How do you know?

Dire Ear

What would be the most recent and proven miracle ??