Dublin V Kerry 28/08/16 3.30pm RTE/SKY.

Started by The Aristocrat, August 08, 2016, 02:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think there were a couple of missed calls in the game, including what would have been a very important free for Kerry. However, most referees will miss a couple of calls in a game and I think Gough got most of the calls right. The vast majority of them. I also think where he didn't get the calls right, it was because he had decided to try and let the game flow. That's not a hanging offence in my book.

And even if he was cat, and if he got everything wrong, to come out and start casting aspersions in the media about his bias is completely and utterly wrong. He's a Meath man. Lots of people are forced to work and live in Dublin. It doesn't mean they magically get some allegiance to the Dubs. In fact it may be the opposite, given the nature of the rivalry. I can't imagine a lad from Ferbane, working and maybe living in Athlone, giving Westmeath too much! If we don't trust our referees to do their best, then we might as well fold up the tent and go home.

whitey

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 31, 2016, 04:46:13 PM
The problem with David Gough is that everything has to be about David Gough, he consistently confuses the size of his ego with the size of his talent.

Should never have been let near a whistle again after his joke display in the Hogan final this year. Some of his decisions on sunday were appallingly bad.

How did Johnny Copper not get a card for shoving Darren O Sullivan into the post after he scored is beyond me. One of Kerry's best players banjaxed with a late and dirty hit...disgraceful. Can you imagine what the Dubs would be saying if the same happened to DeanRock?

When Cooper avoided a card against Mayo, for a Cantona style attack on DOC, the reason given for the lack of s red card is that "he didn't have form" for those types of antics.  Well he definitely has form now!!!

yellowcard

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 31, 2016, 04:53:22 PM
I think there were a couple of missed calls in the game, including what would have been a very important free for Kerry. However, most referees will miss a couple of calls in a game and I think Gough got most of the calls right. The vast majority of them. I also think where he didn't get the calls right, it was because he had decided to try and let the game flow. That's not a hanging offence in my book.

And even if he was cat, and if he got everything wrong, to come out and start casting aspersions in the media about his bias is completely and utterly wrong. He's a Meath man. Lots of people are forced to work and live in Dublin. It doesn't mean they magically get some allegiance to the Dubs. In fact it may be the opposite, given the nature of the rivalry. I can't imagine a lad from Ferbane, working and maybe living in Athlone, giving Westmeath too much! If we don't trust our referees to do their best, then we might as well fold up the tent and go home.

I think your first point is 100% correct. In the context of how he chose to referee the match, the McMahon and Crowley blatant fouls for example could easily be forgiven as non fouls in real time. My honest impression of the Crowley incident in real time was that it wasn't a free kick given the way he had chosen to let the game flow. Replays proved otherwise.

The irony of Parkinson's argument is that he himself lives and works in Dublin and has played club football there and yet he doesn't appear to have developed any great love for Dublin. There are countless examples of lads that are in the same position.

Jinxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ZfHRB6o_8

Radio Kerry commentary highlights from Sunday.
Listen to their reaction to the Crowley incident at 04:36.
A lot of people crucifying Gough over a decision they agreed with themselves in real-time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Heard from a Kerry fella who was at the match and he reckons the programs were being thrown at Bernard Dunne who was celebrating in front of the Kerry crowd and Gough just happened to be passing. No idea how true that is though.

While I don't think Gough was intentionally biased, they should be able to have a ref from a neutral province to completely remove any question of bias.

Rossfan

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 31, 2016, 06:36:27 PM
, they should be able to have a ref from a neutral province to completely remove any question of bias.

Exactly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Heard from a Kerry fella who was at the match and he reckons the programs were being thrown at Bernard Dunne who was celebrating in front of the Kerry crowd and Gough just happened to be passing. No idea how true that is though.

While I don't think Gough was intentionally biased, they should be able to have a ref from a neutral province to completely remove any question of bias.

Bernard is part of the Dublin back-room team? What is his role? Seems strange to have a former boxer involved with footballers?

The Aristocrat

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 31, 2016, 07:28:05 PM

Bernard is part of the Dublin back-room team? What is his role? Seems strange to have a former boxer involved with footballers?

Has been part of the team for a good few years now, official title is Lifestyle coach but does a lot of different roles and duties, he is meant to be very good, good to have him on board.

Gaaggle

Not even close to true.  I was in the front row of 706, right at the halfway line looking down on what was happening.  There was one older kerry man standing right above the tunnel throwing stuff down at Gough.  He was pointed out to the Gardai and Security as soon as it happened.  There were also numerous other Kerry fans firing stuff directly at Gough as he walked off.  Bernard wasn't even close to him. 

blanketattack

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 31, 2016, 12:42:09 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 31, 2016, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 29, 2016, 01:21:32 PM
Did someone say Gough is a teacher who lives and works in Dublin but he represents Meath at intercounty level?

You have to wonder does that impact on a ref to any extent when he knows if he makes a bad call against Dublin then he will be hearing about it the next day at work or from his neighbours whereas if it had of been a Ulster ref he wouldn't have cared about any such bad calls.

I just think the Crowley one was so obviously a foul and if it had of happened near the start of the game it would have been given and maybe a yellow card. If he had of given it and it was a draw would so many of you be saying the ref did quite well?

On top of that Gough is on the Dublin team's payroll, regularly coming in to referee A v B games at €80 a pop. It also gives the Dublin team extra info on what he blows for and what he lets go.

They get in multiple referees, as do other counties, its whats been done for years so please try and find another excuse!

Yeah but he's been hired by Dublin over a dozen times and has yet to be hired by Kerry, so he clearly knows what side of his bread is buttered and was hardly going to do anything last Sunday to jeopardise this nice little earner. If you think there's nothing wrong with a ref refereeing a game between a county he's getting regular payments from and a county he's getting nothing from you must work for the Olympic council.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: blanketattack on September 01, 2016, 09:12:47 AM
Did someone say Gough is a teacher who lives and works in Dublin but he represents Meath at intercounty level?

You have to wonder does that impact on a ref to any extent when he knows if he makes a bad call against Dublin then he will be hearing about it the next day at work or from his neighbours whereas if it had of been a Ulster ref he wouldn't have cared about any such bad calls.

I just think the Crowley one was so obviously a foul and if it had of happened near the start of the game it would have been given and maybe a yellow card. If he had of given it and it was a draw would so many of you be saying the ref did quite well?

On top of that Gough is on the Dublin team's payroll, regularly coming in to referee A v B games at €80 a pop. It also gives the Dublin team extra info on what he blows for and what he lets go.

They get in multiple referees, as do other counties, its whats been done for years so please try and find another excuse!

Yeah but he's been hired by Dublin over a dozen times and has yet to be hired by Kerry, so he clearly knows what side of his bread is buttered and was hardly going to do anything last Sunday to jeopardise this nice little earner. If you think there's nothing wrong with a ref refereeing a game between a county he's getting regular payments from and a county he's getting nothing from you must work for the Olympic council.

That would be a failing by Kerry id imagine, Are you scruff Parkinson in disguise. The result of the match was 1. Kerry couldn't close out the game and 2. The Dubs finished the strongest. But to make it fair we will get a Kerry Ref the next match.

Bottom line, the Dubs are the better team and Kerry were lucky to be so close with two flukey goals.

Enjoy the final.

Gaaggle

And you know that how exactly??

JoG2

Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 01, 2016, 09:45:42 AM

That would be a failing by Kerry id imagine, Are you scruff Parkinson in disguise. The result of the match was 1. Kerry couldn't close out the game and 2. The Dubs finished the strongest. But to make it fair we will get a Kerry Ref the next match.

Bottom line, the Dubs are the better team and Kerry were lucky to be so close with two flukey goals.

Enjoy the final.

Dear Mayo,

Please Win.

kind regards,

Gaaggle

Quote from: JoG2 on September 01, 2016, 10:51:16 AM

Enjoy the final.

Dear Mayo,

Please Win.

kind regards,

Awh really? And we thought everyone loved us  ;D ;D ;D

The Aristocrat

Quote from: JoG2 on September 01, 2016, 10:51:16 AM

Enjoy the final.

Dear Mayo,

Please Win.

kind regards,

Its all been the 31 v 1, throw in New York and London too.

We prefer it that way and it makes winning so much more enjoyable to know its gets to you all so much.

But it saying that its easier to say things on forums, talking in person with people from different counties especially in work its basically " it was a great game, could have gone either way, should be a good final" etc.