Dublin V Kerry 28/08/16 3.30pm RTE/SKY.

Started by The Aristocrat, August 08, 2016, 02:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Whatever about Gough getting calls right or wrong on physical tussles he made a balls up of the two hop balls that were in the game.
Both times a Dublin player who was not the original contesting player caught the ball (this was because the two contesting players were wrestling with each other).

AZOffaly

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 29, 2016, 12:34:37 PM
Whatever about Gough getting calls right or wrong on physical tussles he made a balls up of the two hop balls that were in the game.
Both times a Dublin player who was not the original contesting player caught the ball (this was because the two contesting players were wrestling with each other).

Yes, I saw that alright, but I don't think there's a rule against that. I think the rule is that all other players will be 13m away.

muppet

The free count yesterday (according to Twitter) was Dublin conceded 13 and Kerry conceded 22.

If we deduct the soft frees that Kerry got, as claimed above on this thread, the count should really have been around Dublin conceded 9/10 and Kerry conceded 22.

Why is it then that we are not outraged at Kerry's persistent fouling?

As for O'Mahony not going for the ball, please stop using this as an argument. When the ball is loose it is normal and fair to try to shoulder an opponent. You don't have to be reaching for the ball at the time. The requirement is 'shoulder to shoulder' and 'one foot on the ground'.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2016, 02:36:47 PM
I have to get one wrong sometime so it's

Kerry by 2. :o

At least I got the margin right anyway.
Better team overall won.
Mr Gough won't be getting any Christmas cards from Kerry.
They might now appreciate how the Rhus feel about Reilly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sportacus

Kerry pushed up so far for O'Sullivan's goal that they left a 2 on 4 at the other end.  It must have been a set play gamble and it worked a treat. 

Fuzzman

Did someone say Gough is a teacher who lives and works in Dublin but he represents Meath at intercounty level?

You have to wonder does that impact on a ref to any extent when he knows if he makes a bad call against Dublin then he will be hearing about it the next day at work or from his neighbours whereas if it had of been a Ulster ref he wouldn't have cared about any such bad calls.

I just think the Crowley one was so obviously a foul and if it had of happened near the start of the game it would have been given and maybe a yellow card. If he had of given it and it was a draw would so many of you be saying the ref did quite well?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 29, 2016, 01:21:32 PM
Did someone say Gough is a teacher who lives and works in Dublin but he represents Meath at intercounty level?

You have to wonder does that impact on a ref to any extent when he knows if he makes a bad call against Dublin then he will be hearing about it the next day at work or from his neighbours whereas if it had of been a Ulster ref he wouldn't have cared about any such bad calls.

I just think the Crowley one was so obviously a foul and if it had of happened near the start of the game it would have been given and maybe a yellow card. If he had of given it and it was a draw would so many of you be saying the ref did quite well?

Could you imagine a Cork referee living and working in Kerry reffing the game yesterday, me neither.

Mayo4Sam

Anyone else think Cooper intentionally tried to put Darren O'S deliberately into the post.
Thought he clearly look up and then shoved him
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Maroon Manc

Suppose you've got to second guess who Dublin will start. Keegan on Connolly, Boyle on Kilkenny, Harrison on Brogan, Higgins on McMenamin, Durcan on Rock. Looking at it yesterday Flynn has to be the Dublin forward most under pressure for his place.

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 29, 2016, 01:21:32 PM

I haven't heard anybody yet say that it wasn't a foul. It clearly was a frontal shoulder charge and should have been a free kick to kerry. Gough on the whole had a good match though and tried to referee the game with common sense rather than apply the rulebook strictly at times, much in the same way that Pat McEneaney used to. It mightn't please assessors sitting in the stands but it made for a better spectacle in my view. Kerry fans can feel upset over this incident but they shouldn't be upset over the result as Dublin were much the beter side. 

As for Gough's perceived bias because of where he works, maybe you have a point I don't know. But the nature of the GAA and Ireland is that you can always find a reason for a perceived bias if you look hard enough. I don't think his performance was in any way blatantly bias in any one direction, he made a few wrong calls but on the whole I thought he refereed the game fairly which is all you can ask. 

Chimley

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 29, 2016, 01:30:20 PM
Anyone else think Cooper intentionally tried to put Darren O'S deliberately into the post.

Yes, definitely. A retrospective ban is in order. Also McManamon for the frontal charge on Crowley.

rrhf

Listen Coopers was nasty, but very few full backs wouldn't do that,  but if we are in the business of men missing all ireland finals it would be best left on the field.  Cooper is the best defender in the game at the minute.  Reminds me of Mc Menamin underrated and controversial but he would be the first man on your team. 

yellowcard

Would need to see it again but my impression was that he meant to knock him over, not necessarily put him into the post. It may have affected O'Sullivan though as he had little impact on the match after that from what I recall. Cooper is a nasty player at times though, I seem to recall him kicking a Mayoman in last years AI semi final and getting away with it.

Gaaggle

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2016, 02:04:22 PM

Would need to see it again but my impression was that he meant to knock him over, not necessarily put him into the post. It may have affected O'Sullivan though as he had little impact on the match after that from what I recall. Cooper is a nasty player at times though, I seem to recall him kicking a Mayoman in last years AI semi final and getting away with it.

Just like Donaghy got away with it yesterday after he kicked Cooper?

Gaaggle

Quote from: Chimley on August 29, 2016, 01:56:46 PM

Yes, definitely. A retrospective ban is in order. Also McManamon for the frontal charge on Crowley.

And Mahoney for his frontal charge on McMahon? Or is it only Dubs that deserve retrospective bans?