Muineacháin v Dún na nGall - déja vu all over again 26/6

Started by babarino, June 12, 2016, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the goal was on

yeah I agree there has been plenty of fouls but its orchestrated fouling in the scoring areas which Donegal seem to have developed as canavan has pointed out. If you watch game again it happened on several occasions. Shrewd move but it will take the game down a rotten path IMO.

J70

But what is the difference WHERE on the field it happens? It didn't just start with Donegal on Saturday. If the ref sees it, it's a black card. Like with any foul though, teams will get away with it on occasion and I guess see it as a risk worth taking behind the ref's back. And unless they start penalizing teams (not players) AFTER the game and maybe changing results, there's not much that will change it.

Let's say the Monaghan lad had grabbed MacNiallais by the jersey, as happens umpteen times in all games, and he didn't get to make his run for that goal, would we be hearing about it?

J70

Quote from: Main Street on June 27, 2016, 03:59:08 PM
It never dawned on me to check up on who the loser will get.
;D

Took a while for me to realize as well that we were in the draw!

redzone

Quote from: the goal was on on June 27, 2016, 04:32:35 PM
yeah I agree there has been plenty of fouls but its orchestrated fouling in the scoring areas which Donegal seem to have developed as canavan has pointed out. If you watch game again it happened on several occasions. Shrewd move but it will take the game down a rotten path IMO.

What's more depressing is gallachers tactic of sending in the doctor to check for concussion as much as possible.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: redzone on June 27, 2016, 05:39:06 PM

What's more depressing is gallachers tactic of sending in the doctor to check for concussion as much as possible.

How often did it happen? I only saw Frank McGlynn being checked & he was subbed straight away but maybe there were others. Besides which the ref added time on so there was no time lost.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

lenny

I wonder will Canavan pooint out sneaky gamesmanship from Tyrone as readily as he points it out in other teams. Having said that he gives a level of detailed analysis which is well above rte pundits. I've said for a long time Tyrone have been severely disadvantaged by the rte ban imposed by harte. It's meant Tyrone have been castigated rightly so on many occasions but other teams have got away lightly.Having a Tyrone voice on tv will help them as they move forward but very few people get to see sky in reality.

GrandMasterFlash

At 10-7 up and winning the majority of possession from kickouts (both in MF and from short restarts) I was convinced that we would push on and win the game. But then, came the sending off and the goal which gave Donegal the spur they needed.. It was an interesting game from there till the end, I say game, more like a heavyweight boxing contest trying to land blows and not wanting to lose..

It's definitely worrying that Donegal got in round the back of the Monaghan defense, almost at ease. They were excellent and working the ball through the hands at speed, drawing men in and creating space and holes. Their running lines were excellent, particularly from both E & R McHugh. These lads will have to be kept quieter on Sat, as was the case with McManus and the Hughes bros on Sat.. 

As is always the case, the team that learns more from the drawn game.. I feel that Donegal were pumped to the hilth for that game, can they get up to that intensity again? Monaghan need to be a bit more creative in attack, we had plenty of possession but couldn't create the scoring chances when we got to their D. We need big performances from both Hughes brothers and need to get McManus on the ball more in open play. I felt that McCarthy and Carey did OK but faded out of the game in the second half, given the intensity. Perhaps earlier substitutions of both. I'd like to see McKenna get a longer run and possibly bring Finlay on for his intelligence; apparently he's flying. Jack McCarron needs a fair crack too as he has plenty to offer.

It'll be tight again, but I'm still gonna back our lads to come out on top by 2 or 3..

GrandMasterFlash

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/harte-to-shore-up-his-defence-after-worrying-concessions-against-cavan-34838944.html

And as Harte continues to wrestle with the composition of his side, his Donegal counterpart Gallagher is mulling over the probability that he will be without two of his first-choice players for disciplinary reasons when his side go head to head with Monaghan again in Cavan on Saturday night.
Neil McGee was served with a two-match ban following the red card he incurred against Fermanagh in the Ulster quarter-final when he struck out at Ruairi Corrigan, and Martin McElhinney was sent off against Monaghan last weekend following a tussle with full-back Drew Wylie.

-----

What's the story here? As I said previously, it's ridiculous that they're even appealing McGee's red card but McElhinney, does he miss the next game due to a yellow followed by black, which resulted in a red?

skeog

Fuzzman

Under what grounds are Donegal appealing the McGee suspension?

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 28, 2016, 02:31:38 PM
Under what grounds are Donegal appealing the McGee suspension?

No idea, and can't imagine any either.

Has not stopped other counties in the past though, sometimes successfully. The Donegal CB obviously feel they've nothing to lose by trying.

babarino

Experience tells us that if you're going to go via the back door this is the time to do it...not that either Donegal or Monaghan will want to go that route.

Losing an Ulster final is far more risky given the unfair turnaround. But who'd trade a tie with Longford (no disrespect to them) for an Ulster Final in Clones?

Niall8100

Quote from: babarino on June 28, 2016, 03:56:33 PM
Experience tells us that if you're going to go via the back door this is the time to do it...not that either Donegal or Monaghan will want to go that route.

Losing an Ulster final is far more risky given the unfair turnaround. But who'd trade a tie with Longford (no disrespect to them) for an Ulster Final in Clones?

Good point, whoever loses the Ulster final this year will more than likely get no further than the quarter final. They have to win a 4B qualifier on the weekend of the 1st of August and if they win that they can only get Dublin(assuming they beat Westmeath) in the quarter final just 1 week later (4B winners play either Leinster or Ulster champions and provincial final pairings can't be repeated).

To be honest there should be a 2 week break between Round 4 qualifiers and the quarter final to give the qualifiers a better chance to recover. The main problem is probably Ulster taking so long to complete as there's only one game each weekend (except replays). It could be fixed by playing the quarter finals over 2 weekends instead of four and then the Ulster final can be played 2 weeks earlier, giving plenty of time for qualifiers, etc.

J70

Dublin - Talk about a poisoned chalice!

Doesn't that also mean that Donegal and Monaghan could play each other in an AI quarter final, if next week's winner wins Ulster?

GrandMasterFlash

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - Monday, August 01, 2016:
Quarter-Final (A): Connacht Winner v Round 4A Winner
Quarter-Final (A): Munster Winner v Round 4A Winner

Saturday, August 06, 2016:
Quarter-Final (B): Leinster Winner v Round 4B Winner (Sky Sports)
Quarter-Final (B): Ulster Winner v Round 4B Winner (Sky Sports)

So yes, they could in theory be drawn again. I thought there was a 'previous pairings' condition, though that might disappear after the qualifying rounds?