Muineacháin v Dún na nGall - déja vu all over again 26/6

Started by babarino, June 12, 2016, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Jinxy on June 25, 2016, 10:56:41 PM
Just saw the keeper's dive.
Hope he's humiliated on the Sunday Game tomorrow night.

Disgusting behaviour. I'd give his dive 8.5 on the tiernan mccann scale (with mccanns being a 10). The lad should be totally ashamed and Donegal people should feel ashamed by association. The problem is people like rory gallagher are probably patting him on the back and defending him instead of giving him the bollocking he deserves.

ck

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2016, 12:56:58 AM
It's a given in games now. Players from every club and county at it.

Only gonna get worse.

Only going to get worse as long as higher profile incidents (like Donegal Goalie) gets away Scot free. It's shameful and embarrassing.

ck

Quote from: lenny on June 26, 2016, 08:42:50 AM

Disgusting behaviour. I'd give his dive 8.5 on the tiernan mccann scale (with mccanns being a 10). The lad should be totally ashamed and Donegal people should feel ashamed by association. The problem is people like rory gallagher are probably patting him on the back and defending him instead of giving him the bollocking he deserves.

It's up there with McCann IMO. I hope he gets suspended. This type of playacting flies in the face of the games values so it should not be ignored.
I watched the game last night with two young impressionable teenagers. Even they commented how many times the Donegal doctor was on the pitch (every chance he could get) claiming his players had head injuries. This is an out and out cynical tactic by Rory Gallagher to slow the game down.

I have no faith that the GAA will punish Donegal for this as they'll just blame the referees report. I do hope TSG will highlight it however and expose Donegal for what they are.
Donegal are presently the most cynical team in Ireland IMO

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ck on June 26, 2016, 09:01:44 AM

It's up there with McCann IMO. I hope he gets suspended. This type of playacting flies in the face of the games values so it should not be ignored.
I watched the game last night with two young impressionable teenagers. Even they commented how many times the Donegal doctor was on the pitch (every chance he could get) claiming his players had head injuries. This is an out and out cynical tactic by Rory Gallagher to slow the game down.

I have no faith that the GAA will punish Donegal for this as they'll just blame the referees report. I do hope TSG will highlight it however and expose Donegal for what they are.

How are they going to ban him when they have no rules in place for doing so?

They made a show of themselves with McCann last year when they made it up as they were going along to cave into media pressure. All they had to do was come in after the Shields/McCann/Beggan/O'Donoghue incidents last year and probably a few more and say that from here on any incidents of simulation will go before a disciplinary body with a retrospective ban being issued.

Instead they decided to bow to media pressure and try and suspend a guy because of the county he played for, rather than the act he committed. It's time for the GAA to come out now and say incidents like McGinley's last night will now be open to retrospective bans going forward, it has to be in place before these incidents happen.

As for the game, thought it was a great spectacle played by two good sides. Karl O'Connell was superb for Monaghan and McManus showed his bottle with those two long range frees - he was very fortunate to escape a black card in the first half and had it been any other Monaghan player that committed that I'm sure they would have received a black. Murphy played well but had a nightmare on frees, very impressed with Eoghan McHugh, will add a lot to Donegal this year but they have big problems in midfield. Donegal carry a much bigger goal threat though and I think they will win the replay - I thought Murphy won his duel hands down with Corey today and that's a worrying thing for Monaghan as Corey keeping tabs on Murphy has been crucial to them having the upper hand on Monaghan in recent years.

I thought Donegal paid the price for trying to run the clock down cynically, 6 mins of injury time were added and I think McQuillan deserves credit for that as a lot of referees invariably play into the hands of the side leading these games and trying to waste time with their standard 3/4 minutes. The best way for referees to combat this is to add the time and add it on again in injury time when the leading team employs these tactics.

Newbridge Exile

Gallagher  and co has definitely raised the bar when it comes to cynicism IMO also

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Give and Go on June 26, 2016, 07:08:38 AM

Add into that the conning of the referee by Donegal feigning head injuries when they went ahead close to the finish. Nothing done about it and they were allowed to disrupt Monaghan's momentum.
McQuillan and his umpires should have dealt with it. Then again the umpires failed to take action on the carry on with Vinny Corey and Michael Murphy......

What the goalkeeper did was indefensible, but Frank McGlynns case is completely different. The team doctor assessed him for concussion on the field & he was substituted a couple of minutes later.
As for Joe McQuillan not dealing with it that is not the case. He added six minutes of injury time which is the correct course of action.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 26, 2016, 09:46:09 AM

How are they going to ban him when they have no rules in place for doing so?

They made a show of themselves with McCann last year when they made it up as they were going along to cave into media pressure. All they had to do was come in after the Shields/McCann/Beggan/O'Donoghue incidents last year and probably a few more and say that from here on any incidents of simulation will go before a disciplinary body with a retrospective ban being issued.

Instead they decided to bow to media pressure and try and suspend a guy because of the county he played for, rather than the act he committed. It's time for the GAA to come out now and say incidents like McGinley's last night will now be open to retrospective bans going forward, it has to be in place before these incidents happen.

As for the game, thought it was a great spectacle played by two good sides. Karl O'Connell was superb for Monaghan and McManus showed his bottle with those two long range frees - he was very fortunate to escape a black card in the first half and had it been any other Monaghan player that committed that I'm sure they would have received a black. Murphy played well but had a nightmare on frees, very impressed with Eoghan McHugh, will add a lot to Donegal this year but they have big problems in midfield. Donegal carry a much bigger goal threat though and I think they will win the replay - I thought Murphy won his duel hands down with Corey today and that's a worrying thing for Monaghan as Corey keeping tabs on Murphy has been crucial to them having the upper hand on Monaghan in recent years.

I thought Donegal paid the price for trying to run the clock down cynically, 6 mins of injury time were added and I think McQuillan deserves credit for that as a lot of referees invariably play into the hands of the side leading these games and trying to waste time with their standard 3/4 minutes. The best way for referees to combat this is to add the time and add it on again in injury time when the leading team employs these tactics.

Good post bomber, Sums it up perfectly.

BluestackBoy

Haha, good man ck.

Impressionable teenagers indeed.

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on June 26, 2016, 12:56:58 AM
It's a given in games now. Players from every club and county at it.

Only gonna get worse.

Apart from hurlers. Thankfully most of the hurlers haven't caught this disease.

omagh_gael

If the game is to be played next weekend then Saturday evening is the only realistic option. That will be some fcuk up by Ulster council if it did end up being played before Tyrone and Cavan.

If Donegal do make it through does that mean Neill McGee will be available for the final? That'll be a big boost for Donegal. Think I remember the same thing happening when we got to the AI final in '08. Was it Darragh O'Se that was sent off in quarter final but then was avaialbe for the final as the semi v Cork went to replay?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 26, 2016, 11:12:00 AM
If the game is to be played next weekend then Saturday evening is the only realistic option. That will be some fcuk up by Ulster council if it did end up being played before Tyrone and Cavan.

If Donegal do make it through does that mean Neill McGee will be available for the final? That'll be a big boost for Donegal. Think I remember the same thing happening when we got to the AI final in '08. Was it Darragh O'Se that was sent off in quarter final but then was avaialbe for the final as the semi v Cork went to replay?

Yeah if Donegal win next week McGee ok for the final.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Hound

A gripping encounter, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

That Maxi Curran chap is some yoke -  Hopefully Sky get a MaorCam for the replay!

Main Street

I can't say I took much notice of any quality in the game, it was much too tense for that type of thing but I was very pleased to see that our approach play towards and through the Donegal wall had gone through a complete overhaul.

Usually McManus struggles with frees from around the 45m mark but the cnt stroked one over for Clontibret v Ballybay in last year's championship at Inniskeen from about the 55m mark, so he has the ability