Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins Sam first?

Cavan
22 (61.1%)
Monaghan
14 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

seafoid

I thought this would be interesting. Local rivals . Which is more likely to win the all Ireland before the other? Monaghan have never won Sam. Cavan have 5 but the last one was decades ago. Both are football mad and in D1 next year.

seafoid

If Monaghan had 2 forwards they could do it. An awful pity Nudie never made it . And Monaghan have more ulsters than Armagh.  Tyrone and down. But Cavan have the uaisleacht.

Itchy

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on April 04, 2016, 10:06:53 PM
Monaghan will never win Sam. Never.
But you still have a realistic hope for Cavan?  ;D

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on April 04, 2016, 10:21:06 PM

It's in the blood lad.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on April 04, 2016, 10:40:29 PM

It's in the blood lad.
I appreciate that but blood has to be in the memory, and can anyone remember what Cavan did during WW2 or the immediate aftermath?
I can faintly remember Ray Carolan and Charlie Gallagher.
Thats about it.
Cavan have to create new memories.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on April 04, 2016, 11:09:17 PM

It's in the blood lad.
I appreciate that but blood has to be in the memory, and can anyone remember what Cavan did during WW2 or the immediate aftermath?
Thats about it.

Blood is in the blood. Many a man prays to Jesus, don't know of anyone who met him. That's what ye Monaghan men will need to do to win Sam. Pray like there us no tomorrow.

Schkite

Quote from: Itchy on April 04, 2016, 11:23:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 04, 2016, 11:09:17 PM

It's in the blood lad.
Thats about it.

Blood is in the blood. Many a man prays to Jesus, don't know of anyone who met him. That's what ye Monaghan men will need to do to win Sam. Pray like there us no tomorrow.

It might be in the blood but after a certain amount of generations I doubt that will matter much.

For what it's worth I don't see either team winning Sam anytime soon, so it's anyone's guess. Our best chance is in this current period, but we're short a top midfielder and another scoring forward for a start. As for Cavan, well they've had some good wins at underage but that's no guarantee of senior success. An Ulster in the next few years would be a fine achievement but tough, winning an All-Ireland is a completely different proposition though.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

What is the last county with a population of less than 100k to win an AI?
Actually I checked it up and by my reckoning it was Offaly in 1982. For this reason alone I can't see either of these counties making a breakthrough in the foreseeable future. Both counties doing excellent work and overachieving massively and deserve great credit.

The only negative is that failed drugs test of the Monaghan panelist last year which still doesn't sit well with me and puts a slight seed of doubt at to whether it was encouraged for prospective panelists to bulk up by whatever means necessary. We will never know though.

seafoid

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 05, 2016, 12:06:59 AM
Offaly? Would Armagh have 100K of the right religion ?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I reckon Armagh would probably just have 100k who might be amenable to the GAA alright.

J70

It's in the blood lad.

You're dwindling toward homeopathic levels of dilution at this stage. ;D

J70

Actually I checked it up and by my reckoning it was Offaly in 1982. For this reason alone I can't see either of these counties making a breakthrough in the foreseeable future. Both counties doing excellent work and overachieving massively and deserve great credit.

That's a good point.

Its one of the strange things about sport, how teams and their supporters are generally reasonably content with the status quo and the hierarchy of expectations.

I'd be delighted if Donegal could keep up their recent (small sample) rate of a Sam every two decades, with a few Ulster titles and AI semis thrown in as well. Leitrim beside us would probably bite your hand off for a Connacht final appearance every decade.

Whereas Kerry and Dublin would consider anything other than two or three AI titles a decade as a slump.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on April 05, 2016, 01:48:21 AM

That's a good point.

Its one of the strange things about sport, how teams and their supporters are generally reasonably content with the status quo and the hierarchy of expectations.

I'd be delighted if Donegal could keep up their recent (small sample) rate of a Sam every two decades, with a few Ulster titles and AI semis thrown in as well. Leitrim beside us would probably bite your hand off for a Connacht final appearance every decade.

Whereas Kerry and Dublin would consider anything other than two or three AI titles a decade as a slump.

Leitrim people will bite your hand off if you say hello to them.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2016, 02:32:15 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 05, 2016, 01:48:21 AM

That's a good point.

Leitrim people will bite your hand off if you say hello to them.
Never mind hello, it's thanks you should be saying to them after last Sunday's farce.