Galway v Derry NFL D2

Started by seafoid, February 25, 2016, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

mouview

Or a damp squib between two fairly turgid teams with home advantage to decide the outcome. Not sanguine about Galway this year, no inspiration to come from anywhere really.

Looking further ahead, could John Delivery be next or next-but-one Galway manager?

screenexile

Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2016, 10:26:18 AM
Or a damp squib between two fairly turgid teams with home advantage to decide the outcome. Not sanguine about Galway this year, no inspiration to come from anywhere really.

Looking further ahead, could John Delivery be next or next-but-one Galway manager?

Not sure about that Mouview... to all intents and purposes this looks to be a very important battle in terms of promotion. It will be interesting to see how it fares out especially since Galway beat us so easily last year.

seafoid

I think they are  a bit better than that, Mo.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on February 25, 2016, 11:04:30 AM

I think they are  a bit better than that, Mo.

Hope I'm wrong but our kick-out strategy doesn't appear to be hectic, FB line not great, midfield not yet firing on all cylinders and forwards not playing with great fluency (Eddie Hoare just isn't an IC footballer.) In addition, a number of potential young players who could make a difference to the squad are resistant to joining up as they're going travelling in summer I hear. Not at the Tyrone match, but I believe they were comfortably better than us, save closing stages. We just don't have it these days I'm afraid.

seafoid

Kick outs not great ok but when they start running at the opposition they are fabulous

Real Talk

Always liked the way Galway played football and their games with Derry were fairly entertaining.  However we are in a different football era now and having watched some of Sligo's games when Kevin Walsh was their manager .. they were well able to play in a defensive system when required.  So I don't expect an open brand of football,  its whatever method that gets the 2 points is what really matters to both managers.  I rate Gary Sice and Gareth Bradshaw (has he played this year yet?)very influential players along with all those good U 21's so it will be an interesting contest ... the last time I saw Galway playing in Celtic Park was in 1993 in the NFL and Galway won with a last minute goal by Derek Savage I think.   

Derry had good momentum before the break so Galway will provide a stiff challenge that will cause it difficult to be re-ignited.

mouview

Quote from: Real Talk on February 25, 2016, 03:01:52 PM
Always liked the way Galway played football and their games with Derry were fairly entertaining.  However we are in a different football era now and having watched some of Sligo's games when Kevin Walsh was their manager .. they were well able to play in a defensive system when required.  So I don't expect an open brand of football,  its whatever method that gets the 2 points is what really matters to both managers.  I rate Gary Sice and Gareth Bradshaw (has he played this year yet?)very influential players along with all those good U 21's so it will be an interesting contest ... the last time I saw Galway playing in Celtic Park was in 1993 in the NFL and Galway won with a last minute goal by Derek Savage I think.   

Derry had good momentum before the break so Galway will provide a stiff challenge that will cause it difficult to be re-ignited.

Definitely wasn't Savo anyway - wudda been about 15 then! May have been Sean De Paor. Think I remember that match, or the result anyway, weren't both teams in Div. II, (III?)
Sice may be available for Sunday, Bradshaw still out injured. Don't think the Sweeneys are ok yet either.

muppet

Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2016, 03:46:32 PM

Definitely wasn't Savo anyway - wudda been about 15 then! May have been Sean De Paor. Think I remember that match, or the result anyway, weren't both teams in Div. II, (III?)
Sice may be available for Sunday, Bradshaw still out injured. Don't think the Sweeneys are ok yet either.

More likely to have been Finnegan than Seán Óg?
MWWSI 2017

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2016, 04:14:13 PM
Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2016, 03:46:32 PM

More likely to have been Finnegan than Seán Óg?
Sean Og played a lot of his football in the forwards when he came on the scene first - needless to say, he was a much better wing back!

imtommygunn

I think i was at that game and you could be right muppet...

galwayman

Sure it was 93? Surprised Derry and Galway would have been in the same division back then given Derry won the AI that year.
We were in the 3rd division around then I think?
Definitely wasn't Savo alright.98 was his first season playing county senior.
It's true that Sean og and even Tomas Mannion played a number of games in the forwards for us in the early 90s.
In saying that it doesn't have to be a forward who gets the goals I guess 😄

dúnros

The Derry team to play Galway in Sunday's Allianz NFL game at Celtic Park (2pm) is as follows:

1. Thomas Mallon (Loup)
2. Ryan Ferris (Magherafelt)
3. Chrissy McKaigue (Slaughtneil) (Capt)
4. Karl McKaigue (Slaughtneil)
5. Mark Craig (Dungiven)
6. Gareth McKinless (Ballinderry)
7. Danny Heavron (Magherafelt)
8. Emmett Bradley (Glen)
9. Brendan Rogers (Slaughtneil)
10. Benny Heron (Ballinascreen)
11. James Kielt (Kilrea)
12. Ciaran McFaul (Glen)
13. Ryan Bell (Ballinderry)
14. Mark Lynch (Banagher)
15. Daniel McKinless (Ballinderry)

tell me, galwaymen, any word on the tribesmen team yet ?
what's the story with the mercurial shane walsh, he playing ?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: dúnros on February 26, 2016, 09:32:29 AM
The Derry team to play Galway in Sunday's Allianz NFL game at Celtic Park (2pm) is as follows:

1. Thomas Mallon (Loup)
2. Ryan Ferris (Magherafelt)
3. Chrissy McKaigue (Slaughtneil) (Capt)
4. Karl McKaigue (Slaughtneil)
5. Mark Craig (Dungiven)
6. Gareth McKinless (Ballinderry)
7. Danny Heavron (Magherafelt)
8. Emmett Bradley (Glen)
9. Brendan Rogers (Slaughtneil)
10. Benny Heron (Ballinascreen)
11. James Kielt (Kilrea)
12. Ciaran McFaul (Glen)
13. Ryan Bell (Ballinderry)
14. Mark Lynch (Banagher)
15. Daniel McKinless (Ballinderry)

tell me, galwaymen, any word on the tribesmen team yet ?
what's the story with the mercurial shane walsh, he playing ?

I'd expect just a few changes from the last day although I'd be surprised if Walsh wasn't one of them. Sice is back in contention too so perhaps Walsh & Sice as replacements for Hoare & Tierney. I'm surprised to see Hoare play nearly every minute of every game so far as he wasn't really in the managers plans last year, from what I've seen of him its a surprise to see him every game so far.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Big, big game for both teams. The winners will be odds-on to go up with Tyrone; the losers will need a very unlikely set of circumstances to have any chances of going up.

It's a decent Derry team, with a fair bit of depth on the bench and there is evidence of progress under Barton. Home advantage may keep the game fairly close, but given how easily Galway disposed of Derry last year in Salthill (even allowing for Conor Lane's tour de force in maroon), anything other than a win for the Tribesmen would be a surprise.

Gaillimh by four.