Best team of the 90's

Started by illdecide, October 05, 2015, 04:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Right lads we were doing a challenge in work here to name our best team of the 90's, the players are world wide. I went through the world cups from 1990 to 1998 for a list of players and from what teams...

1990 Germany v Argentina
1994 Brazil v Italy
1998 France v Brazil
2002 Brazil v Germany (just outside time but there may be a few there that played in 90's)

Here is a list of players who I think are world class...

Dunga, Romario, R Carlos, R Voller, L Matthaus, K H Riedle, A Moller, J Klinsmann, P Shilton, P McGrath, Koeman, Rijkaard, R Gullit, Baresi, P Maldini, R Baggio, Maradona, Hagi, Cafu, Ronaldo, Kahn, Canniga, Zola, R Keane, M Overmars, D Bergkamp, Rivaldo, P Schmichael, Eto, Del Piero, Buffon, B Laudrup, M Laudrup, Vieria, Deschamps, Desailly, Zidane, T Henry, H Stoichkov, Raul, P Kluivert, P Mihajlovic, G Bastistuta, H Crespo, J Stam & A Costscurta...

I probably missed a few here or there but i'd imagine thats the creme de le creme...Pick your best 11 obviously as a proper team...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rossie11

Samuel Eto wasnt doing a whole pile before 2004 let alone the 90's

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on October 05, 2015, 04:33:32 PM
Right lads we were doing a challenge in work here to name our best team of the 90's, the players are world wide. I went through the world cups from 1990 to 1998 for a list of players and from what teams...

1990 Germany v Argentina
1994 Brazil v Italy
1998 France v Brazil
2002 Brazil v Germany (just outside time but there may be a few there that played in 90's)

Here is a list of players who I think are world class...

Dunga, Romario, R Carlos, R Voller, L Matthaus, K H Riedle, A Moller, J Klinsmann, P Shilton, P McGrath, Koeman, Rijkaard, R Gullit, Baresi, P Maldini, R Baggio, Maradona, Hagi, Cafu, Ronaldo, Kahn, Canniga, Zola, R Keane, M Overmars, D Bergkamp, Rivaldo, P Schmichael, Eto, Del Piero, Buffon, B Laudrup, M Laudrup, Vieria, Deschamps, Desailly, Zidane, T Henry, H Stoichkov, Raul, P Kluivert, P Mihajlovic, G Bastistuta, H Crespo, J Stam & A Costscurta...

I probably missed a few here or there but i'd imagine thats the creme de le creme...Pick your best 11 obviously as a proper team...

Robbie only really became world class in the Noughties though ;)

oakleaf93

Shilton in a team of the best players of the 90's??

brokencrossbar1

Anyway here's a shot at it

Smeicheal

Cafu
Cannavaro
Maldini
Roberto Carlos

Zidane
Viera
Keane

Ronaldo
Baggio
Bergkamp

AZOffaly

Too difficult to do it all in one go. do it like they did the U21 nominations.

Goalkeeper...

Buffon, Kahn, Shilton (?) or Schmeichael from your list. I'd go for the big Dane. Won Euro 92 with Denmark, and was a real leader for Man United through their best period probably. Buffon and Kahn I would have said were at their peak a bit later, and Shilton a bit earlier. Italia 90 was his swansong I think.

Billys Boots

Why not, it's nearly hometime.  Let's go for a 4-1-3-1-1.

Schmeichel
Costacurta-Baresi-McGrath-Maldini
Rijkaard
Hagi-Zidane-Baggio
Maradona
Batigol

Might struggle a bit in the centre - you couldn't leave out Zidane or Maradona for a box-to-box man (sorry Roy); and Ronaldo is probably better than Batistuta, but who cares. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 05, 2015, 04:54:26 PM
Why not, it's nearly hometime.  Let's go for a 4-1-3-1-1.

Schmeichel
Costacurta-Baresi-McGrath-Maldini
Rijkaard
Hagi-Zidane-Baggio
Maradona
Batigol

Might struggle a bit in the centre - you couldn't leave out Zidane or Maradona for a box-to-box man (sorry Roy); and Ronaldo is probably better than Batistuta, but who cares.

Maradona was an 80's man.  Although he played in the 90's he was past it at that stage.  Baresi and McGrath straddled both I suppose and were consistently good but still at their peak in the 80's.

magpie seanie

Schmeichel; Neville, Stam, Johnsen, Irwin; Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Giggs; Yorke, Cole.

ONeill

What did you call the Columbian boy with the big hair?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

dec

Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2015, 07:09:11 PM
Carlos Valderrama

ONeill

Romario and Hagi were fairly effective on their day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2015, 07:09:11 PM
Valderrama

And then Higuita the goalie, el loco, the crazy one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-flTPSSvCw

imtommygunn

Viera wasn't really on the french team much in 90s never mind a world team...