Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 13, 2015, 10:58:27 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2015, 10:45:50 AM
They try to maximise game time, but that said I'd have thought they'd like a partnership at Leinster a lá BOD and D'Arcy.

For that point of view I think they are right at the IRFU. More young players should be encouraged to go to provinces where there is an apparent shortage in positions.

The last U20 panel was made up of about 60% Leinster players - the strong schools system gives the numbers.

The IRFU have done nothing. They are useless.

JS insisted on Nucifora being appointed otherwise he wouldn't take the job. The IRFU had to relent and a result he'd brought these changes in.

Lads at leinster in particular would prefer to play 2/3 Pro 12 games a year, quaffing champers in krystle and pretending to be rugby players rather then go to Connacht and be a real player.

Teeling Gael

I think the delay in announcing Payne's replacement is to see length if any of O Brien's suspension. Having 4 genuine backrowers ( Henderson with O Connell gone can really only be considered a 2nd row now as they unlikely to put Mc Carthy on bench) is very low with potentially 3 games left and it would make more sense to bulk up that area rather than at best a 5th choice centre.
Indeed alternatively I would also think that Isaac Boss will be seriously looked at as well now to replace Payne for the same reason that having a 3rd choice scrum half covers more bases ( late short term injury  or going forward concussion or suspension to either scrumhalf)  at this stage of the tournament that a 5th choice centre ( Henshaw. Earls , Fitzgerald , Cave and if Sexton fit even Madigan)

screenexile

Quote from: Teeling Gael on October 13, 2015, 11:34:24 AM
I think the delay in announcing Payne's replacement is to see length if any of O Brien's suspension. Having 4 genuine backrowers ( Henderson with O Connell gone can really only be considered a 2nd row now as they unlikely to put Mc Carthy on bench) is very low with potentially 3 games left and it would make more sense to bulk up that area rather than at best a 5th choice centre.
Indeed alternatively I would also think that Isaac Boss will be seriously looked at as well now to replace Payne for the same reason that having a 3rd choice scrum half covers more bases ( late short term injury  or going forward concussion or suspension to either scrumhalf)  at this stage of the tournament that a 5th choice centre ( Henshaw. Earls , Fitzgerald , Cave and if Sexton fit even Madigan)

Is Marmion not ahead of Boss in the pecking order?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on October 13, 2015, 11:35:55 AM

He was SE but think his form dipped (young player still) and Cooney was starting more games at Connacht towards the end of last season.

Can any of the Leinster lads shed light on Luke McGraths development? I was really hoping he would challenge Murray over the next year or two. Did fat Matt stunt his development or is it a player issue?

Jim_Murphy_74

Horses for courses.  With Sexton still doubtful then an injury to Murray/Madigan/Henshaw (or a combination) could leave you with a fairly light backline.  If Paddy Jackson had to play he would need more than Reddan beside him.   So I think that if Payne goes then both Boss and Trimble would be on Joe's mind.  With Madigan now more critical cover for outhalf and centre, I think a scrum-half may yet be called for.

Also with back row issues I think McCarthy is ahead of Touhy as replacement for Paul O'Connell.  Joe values versatility.

/Jim.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on October 13, 2015, 11:42:15 AM

Horses for courses.  With Sexton still doubtful then an injury to Murray/Madigan/Henshaw (or a combination) could leave you with a fairly light backline.  If Paddy Jackson had to play he would need more than Reddan beside him.   So I think that if Payne goes then both Boss and Trimble would be on Joe's mind.  With Madigan now more critical cover for outhalf and centre, I think a scrum-half may yet be called for.

Also with back row issues I think McCarthy is ahead of Touhy as replacement for Paul O'Connell.  Joe values versatility.

/Jim.
Not much of a statement given that McCarthy has already been called up as O'Connell's replacement  ;)

muppet

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 13, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

/Jim.
Not much of a statement given that McCarthy has already been called up as O'Connell's replacement  ;)

I am quite confident that we can beat the French. Mark my words, it may come at a cost though.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 13, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

/Jim.

Apologies here was my first port of call ahead of paper. 

/Jim.

Bord na Mona man

A not very interesting fact, but O'Mahony's departure leaves just 4 Munster players on the squad. Now there are 18 Leinster players.
In the 2007 World Cup, of the team from 1-10, 9 were from Munster.

Walter Cronc

Question is then....why are Munster not producing the players?

AZOffaly

Munster won the European cup in 2006 and 2008. Leinster have dominated Irish success since then. Not that surprising.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 13, 2015, 01:26:56 PM
Question is then....why are Munster not producing the players?

The GAA gives all the money to Dublin 😄 Munster have always struggled to produce backs, outside the first 10.  I think earls and zebo are very non Munster type backs.

In the forwards Munster are still producing decent players, and I think a lot of the close calls in this squad went to lads JS is more familiar with. Tommy O'Donnell, Jack O'Donoghue, James Cronin, and others have come through and been pretty solid. Young Holland may be a very good out half, and JJ as mentioned was a good product.

Leinster are miles ahead but hopefully the u19 and u20 wins last year are a sign the Munster academy is improving.

Syferus

Such a pity about POC. Absolutely legendary player. Hopefully it can motivate the players to do something special this month.

screenexile

I don't know much about the ins and outs of Rugby disciplinary panels but does this change anything in O'Brien's favour??

Walter Cronc

Can't see it playing any part as a mitigating factor.

It should be a 1 game ban but I think any more is harsh.

Hooper got a 1 game ban for near taking the head off Sanchez in the 4 Nations. Then he got cited against England. SOB has a very clean record.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15175/9932523/hoopers-one-week-ban-has-been-confirmed-after-unsuccessful-sanzar-appeal