Chelsea fan sorry over Paris Metro incident

Started by never kickt a ball, February 22, 2015, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Chelsea fan sorry he was caught over Paris Metro incident

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on February 23, 2015, 01:05:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2015, 11:03:32 AM
Why is anyone surprised that an ex RUCite from Carrickfergus would display an ubermensch mentality.

Not surprised at all. I'd hazard a guess that he's an ex DUP supporter who is now voting for UKIP
On first reading I thought that said ex DUB supporter!
Joe McDonagh 2026 🏆


Asal Mor

Quote from: ballinaman on February 23, 2015, 10:16:05 AM
Had to laugh at this....

West Ham fans trolling Chelsea with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGrNzloMSU

Same day they sing this on another train....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B4BpnoIff4

::)

From what i could make out the chant went "I've got a foreskin, how are you? - Jew".

Never mind being racists, would they not be embarrassed at their own idiocy? Then again, maybe having a foreskin is their greatest achievement in life.

Nigel White

Quote from: never kickt a ball on February 22, 2015, 10:45:14 PM
22 February 2015 Last updated at 22:21

Chelsea fan sorry over Paris Metro incident

An ex-police officer and Chelsea fan has apologised for his part in an alleged racist incident on the Paris Metro - but has denied he is a racist.
Richard Barklie, 50, of Carrickfergus, County Antrim, was identified as one of the people sought by the Met Police.
In a statement, he denied racist chanting and said he wanted to explain the context of the incident to police.
Chelsea Football Club has barred five fans after a video showed a black man being prevented from boarding a train.
Mr Barklie, an ex-Royal Ulster Constabulary and Police Service of Northern Ireland officer, is currently a director with a human rights organisation - the World Human Rights Forum - and has also worked supporting victims of the Troubles.
Belfast solicitor Kevin Winters issued a statement on behalf of the Chelsea season ticket-holder.
In it he said Mr Barklie:
had been involved in an "incident" in which a man - identified as Souleymane S - was "unable to enter part of the train"
had not taken part in racist singing and "condemns any behaviour supporting that"
had contacted the Met Police to "explain the context and circumstances" and wanted to "put on record his total abhorrence for racism"
wanted to state his "sincerest apologies for the trauma and stress suffered by Mr Souleymane"
went to the match alone and did not know anyone shown in the video
had travelled to games for more than 20 years "without incident" and had never been part of any "group or faction" of Chelsea fans
The statement added: "As someone who has spent years working with disadvantaged communities in Africa and India, he can point to a CV in human rights work which undermines any suggestion he is racist."
It said the Met Police had confirmed "arrangements were in hand to take the investigation to the next stage".
Earlier, the Met said three men being sought in connection with the incident had been identified - and released images including one of Mr Barklie.
Amateur video shot at Paris's Richelieu-Drouot station showed a man being pushed from the Metro train while a group chanted: "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it."
Chelsea has said it will ban the five suspended fans from attending Stamford Bridge for life if there is sufficient evidence of their involvement.
A spokesman said the club was writing to the victim to "apologise unreservedly", while manager Jose Mourinho has said he is "ashamed" by the alleged racism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31575913?print=true
He's 50 years of age and his daddy and mammy are on the media telling everyone what a good boy he is

JoG2

Is there a cut off age when you stop looking out for your offspring ?

Bazil Douglas

Considering this guy was part of an organisation (RUC) whose colleagues stood idly by and watch a catholic man get kicked to death in Portadown and then conviently lose the video footage, did you really expect him to intervene when the black guy was being refused entry to the train. He pushed the guy in typical RUC style.
I see he,s a member of a victims support group I wonder how much support he offered the Hamil family. Human rights activist my arse many of these officers manage to worm their way into these well paid quangos and jobs for the boys.
Hopefully he'll get his just reward considering the PSNI are not handling the video footage.

Main Street

I thought the Indo's article on the ex RUC officer was more slanted to highlight the inherent contradictions in the character,
and just how is a person (who claims innocence)  branded a racist by context and circumstances"?

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/exruc-officer-apologises-over-chelsea-racism-row-31013335.html

A former RUC officer has apologised for his involvement in a race row involving Chelsea fans on the Paris Metro.
However, Richard Barklie, who was wanted by investigating police, has vehemently insisted he is not a racist.

The Chelsea season ticket holder is one of the three men whose images were released by Scotland Yard as part of an investigation into supporters who allegedly pushed a black man off a train.
The 50-year-old, a former RUC officer originally from Carrickfergus, said he wanted to tell his side of the story to police.
He is a director of a worldwide human rights organisation which promotes racial tolerance around the globe.

Mr Barklie has referenced Gandhi and Martin Luther King in previous speeches.

He is also an outreach worker for Wave, a cross-community charity which offers support to people bereaved, injured or traumatised by the Troubles.

In a statement, the charity confirmed it had suspended an individual pending an investigation.

A statement from the charity  said: "The Wave Trauma Centre has suspended a part-time worker pending further investigation following an allegation of involvement in a racist incident in Paris last week.

"As this matter is subject to an investigation by the Metropolitan Police it would not be appropriate to comment further at this stage."

In a statement issued through his lawyer, Mr Barklie admitted involvement in an "incident" that resulted in a man being "unable to enter part of the train".

"He wants to put on record his sincerest apologies for the trauma and stress suffered by (the victim)".

He denied singing any racist songs, and insisted that "context and circumstances" must be taken into account.

He said this would form part of his explanation to investigating officers.

He explained how he travelled to the game alone, and that he did not know any of the other individuals captured on video footage of the alleged incident. He also said he has never been part of any "group or faction" of Chelsea fans.

Mr Barklie is a director of the World Human Rights Forum (WHRF), a global network of campaigners which promotes human rights.

In March 2013, during an address to the World Human Rights Conference in India, he appealed for racial tolerance.

"We must all keep working with a sense of compassion for each other in our hearts, with a sense of justice and equality we should banish from our hearts and minds prejudices of creed, colour, religion and gender.

"When we do this we will conceive a more harmonious and peaceful society," he added.
The alleged racial incident at the Richelieu-Drouot station occurred before the first leg of Chelsea's last-16 game at Parc des Princes on Tuesday.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Main Street on February 23, 2015, 11:22:26 PM
I thought the Indo's article on the ex RUC officer was more slanted to highlight the inherent contradictions in the character,
and just how is a person (who claims innocence)  branded a racist by context and circumstances"?
+1. if it turns out he wasn't involved in the pushing or chanting, then some people will have been a bit too hasty in condemning him. it's a bit harsh to condemn him for not intervening. I remember being in a situation years ago where i saw a fella taking a bad beating from a few yobs and I wanted to intervene but I actually froze with fear, and a few seconds later they stopped and left him alone. I was a coward but i didn't fail to intervene out of apathy. We'd all like to think we'd have stepped in and helped that lad on the train but it's hard to know until you're there.

Mike Sheehy

#24
Quote from: Asal Mor on February 23, 2015, 05:50:31 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 23, 2015, 10:16:05 AM
Had to laugh at this....

West Ham fans trolling Chelsea with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGrNzloMSU

Same day they sing this on another train....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B4BpnoIff4

::)

From what i could make out the chant went "I've got a foreskin, how are you? - Jew".

Never mind being racists, would they not be embarrassed at their own idiocy? Then again, maybe having a foreskin is their greatest achievement in life.

It is pointless expressing outrage against these fellas if you don't confront the likes of Seafoid and Bennycake on this board. They are all birds of a feather, just different hues....

Asal Mor

Not really outraged Mikey, just think they could have come up with a wittier chant. They sounded like lads who'd had one too many bicycle chains to the head. I've no doubt that seafoid or benny could come up with something with much better than that.  :)

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought.

deiseach

If you were an ex-police officer working for a human rights organisation and did nothing upon witnessing an act of racially motivated public disorder, it's perfectly reasonable to wonder why you did nothing.

armaghniac

Quote from: deiseach on February 24, 2015, 10:10:42 AM
If you were an ex-police officer working for a human rights organisation and did nothing upon witnessing an act of racially motivated public disorder, it's perfectly reasonable to wonder why you did nothing.

I'm not sure what you could do, except subsequently make yourself available for the investigation.
MAGA Make Armagh Great Again

Jeepers Creepers

I don't think there is evidence of him singing but the in the video footage it is 'he' who is pushing the guy off the train on his 2nd or 3rd attempt to board.