Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

On a separate note I'd like to see Monaghan go on and do well now. I enjoy watching their style of play and they always bring good passion to the game. They have built up a very good team under O'Rourke and could make a big impact this year if everyone stays fit. They're sound defensively and break well. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Tyrone can regroup if the teams met each other again in the quarter finals but its a long way off.

barelegs

Quote from: delgany on June 17, 2014, 10:28:45 PM
A few points on darren hughes black card (1) if hughes wasn't fouling sean , he wouldn't have been carded (2) have you ever carried someone on your back , wrapped around you who is 6 ft tall and weighs 14 stone, while your runing - you'd hardly stand up yourself (3) as kevin madden points out in irish news there is actually a more cynical tackle , in that they wrap the player up but release him before he  hits the ground (4) the tackle issue needs resolved with clear guidelines (5) the black card has only made the whole situation worse (6) most supporters do not have a clue what is an actual black card offence.  (7) as a tyrone supporter : the tyrone team beat themselves : extremely poor team , no clear system of play , I've said all year n a team in transition .

Tyrone have been in transition from 2010 apparently. It's about time the excuses stopped for both players and management. They've had more than enough time (30+ games over the last 2 years) to get a settled team and a proper system of play and it hasn't happened. The most bemusing thing for me is that nobody seems prepared to ask the hard questions of either players or more pertinently management

BennyHarp

Quote from: barelegs on June 17, 2014, 11:22:31 PM
A few points on darren hughes black card (1) if hughes wasn't fouling sean , he wouldn't have been carded (2) have you ever carried someone on your back , wrapped around you who is 6 ft tall and weighs 14 stone, while your runing - you'd hardly stand up yourself (3) as kevin madden points out in irish news there is actually a more cynical tackle , in that they wrap the player up but release him before he  hits the ground (4) the tackle issue needs resolved with clear guidelines (5) the black card has only made the whole situation worse (6) most supporters do not have a clue what is an actual black card offence.  (7) as a tyrone supporter : the tyrone team beat themselves : extremely poor team , no clear system of play , I've said all year n a team in transition .

Poss

Tyrone have been in transition from 2010 apparently. It's about time the excuses stopped for both players and management. They've had more than enough time (30+ games over the last 2 years) to get a settled team and a proper system of play and it hasn't happened. The most bemusing thing for me is that nobody seems prepared to ask the hard questions of either players or more pertinently management

This is possibly due to the fact that we got to a National League final and AI Semi final last year which by any standards is a decent enough return. I fully agree that this year hasn't been good though.

I'm probably one of Mickeys biggest supporters on here and believe he has earned the right to be given time that may not be afforded to others. However, I'm getting a little bit concerned that the job may just be getting a bit too much for him at this stage and I just hope that it hasn't become some sort of obsession for him to win another AI, which may just be clouding his judgement slightly. His reaction at the final whistle on Sunday was something completely out of character for him and worries me slightly. I just hope it wasn't the sign of a man struggling to cope.
That was never a square ball!!

babarino

It wouldn't take a tactical genius to work out that what was good enough against Down's defense wouldn't happen against Monaghan. McGinley, P. Harte and McKenna were brilliant in Newry, yet didn't feature or didn't play in Clones. They don't go from hero to zero that quick.

I'd still say there's enough quality in Tyrone to make a quarter final this year and then who knows.You're right to be concerned about Mickey's poor PR, not to mention the cynical stuff. Try not to let the emotion take over. As we've learnt to our cost over the years, the tantrums don't help.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2014, 11:34:34 PM
Quote from: barelegs on June 17, 2014, 11:22:31 PM

Poss

This is possibly due to the fact that we got to a National League final and AI Semi final last year which by any standards is a decent enough return. I fully agree that this year hasn't been good though.

I'm probably one of Mickeys biggest supporters on here and believe he has earned the right to be given time that may not be afforded to others. However, I'm getting a little bit concerned that the job may just be getting a bit too much for him at this stage and I just hope that it hasn't become some sort of obsession for him to win another AI, which may just be clouding his judgement slightly. His reaction at the final whistle on Sunday was something completely out of character for him and worries me slightly. I just hope it wasn't the sign of a man struggling to cope.

I think the Mickey Harte supporters club is reducing after every game. How did SON and Penrose manage to stay on for the 70 mins. Harte has gone stale a few years ago and my biggest concern is the man will not go gracefully and will tear the county apart if he is ever forced out. I can see club delegations objecting to any extensions to his management.

timmyot501

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 17, 2014, 10:54:26 PM
Benny had a fair point, if Hughes hadn't his arm in their (fouling him as he's come across the shoulder) then Cavanagh wouldn't have been able to pull him down. Forwards have been at it for years and it's a hard thing to police. Realistically it's part of the game and literally every team does it. Some either they're all cheats or they're not but singling out Cavanagh isn't on especially on the back of last year when he did what any county fan would have wanted their player to do in that situation.
f**k it Mayo did it more we'd have a Connacht final from '01 and a minor all-Ireland from '08

I agree that nearly every team has players who are able to orchestrate frees just like Sean did on Sunday. And it is frustrating when it happens against your team. But before this year the consequence was a free against and maybe a point from the subsequent free. The problem now is a team can now lose a player for the rest of the game. Last year Sean probably would have been described as cute but now he is been called a cheat.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: timmyot501 on June 18, 2014, 12:51:26 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 17, 2014, 10:54:26 PM
Benny had a fair point, if Hughes hadn't his arm in their (fouling him as he's come across the shoulder) then Cavanagh wouldn't have been able to pull him down. Forwards have been at it for years and it's a hard thing to police. Realistically it's part of the game and literally every team does it. Some either they're all cheats or they're not but singling out Cavanagh isn't on especially on the back of last year when he did what any county fan would have wanted their player to do in that situation.
f**k it Mayo did it more we'd have a Connacht final from '01 and a minor all-Ireland from '08

I agree that nearly every team has players who are able to orchestrate frees just like Sean did on Sunday. And it is frustrating when it happens against your team. But before this year the consequence was a free against and maybe a point from the subsequent free. The problem now is a team can now lose a player for the rest of the game. Last year Sean probably would have been described as cute but now he is been called a cheat.
Exactly.
It has always been an issue getting these calls right and now the penalties have been increased, but we are no closer to getting them correct.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on June 18, 2014, 09:30:59 AM
Parkinson is siding with Sean here.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/off-the-ball/pundits-need-to-alter-focus-and-stop-pops-at-cavanagh-30363277.html
"On occasions like this, and I've done it many times, you lock the defender's arm under yours and go to ground dragging him down with you. This is not conning anyone, it's simply drawing attention to the fact you're being fouled."
;D
This is called the tyrone defence.
Your honour, maybe I was clocked driving 80 in a 50 zone but I was only doing so to expose a weakness, that road signs are not a proper deterrent.
-

WT4E

Quote from: Main Street on June 18, 2014, 11:03:21 AM

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/off-the-ball/pundits-need-to-alter-focus-and-stop-pops-at-cavanagh-30363277.html
"On occasions like this, and I've done it many times, you lock the defender's arm under yours and go to ground dragging him down with you. This is not conning anyone, it's simply drawing attention to the fact you're being fouled."
;D
Your honour, maybe I was clocked driving 80 in a 50 zone but I was only doing so to expose a weakness, that road signs are not a proper deterrent.
-

You seriously need to dry up?

I never realised that McManus or any of the other Monaghan players never used this tactic.   ::)

LeoMc

Quote from: Main Street on June 18, 2014, 11:03:21 AM

;D
-

Or more accurately Your honour, maybe I was clocked driving 80 in a 50 zone but I was only doing so because no-one pulled in the Monaghan car speeding in front of me.

orangeman

As I said in the black card thread - there were a lot of big, phyisically strong men on both sides in Clones last Sunday doing Bambi impersonations. It was not confined to Tyrone. Monaghan lads are more than capable of hitting the deck. And it's spread to almost every county. Simulation was always in the game and the black card has just upped the ante.

dlgael

Sean is cheating to compensate for the fact that he's surrounded by mediocrity.
It's still not enough though, such is the infestation of same.
It's good to see his antics out of the Ulster championship and lets hope this media tart is epelled from the all ireland series just as quickly.
Cheating is cheating afer all.