Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Just for the record

I will not be going on about Harte now any more nor am I trying to get him to leave but don't start giving any of us a hard time for asking questions. I heard a few guys saying yesterday hopefully we will lose to Louth and so there will be a dramatic change then. I do not hope we will lose and I want us to get as far as we can with the back sliding doors.

I think our young team needs to develop and the back door suits that better than the cauldron of the more defensive negative style Ulster football. Monaghan are a lot further down the road in team development as are Donegal but I would still have hope for maybe 2020.

What did ye make of the ticket sales yesterday. It seemed very badly organised
I bought tickets online and was to collect them at the ground. I asked 3 stewards, one in a suit where do I go and nobody knew. I was then told to go to Gate 34 I think so I queued up with all the ones with printouts
Once I got to the top the guy says No No you need to meet the man outside with the envelopes and he has your tickets. So I go back out and wander around for another 10 mins and eventually find this guy. UNREAL. No signs no pickup point nothing.

Maguire01

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 16, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
Me myself, I was taking the defeat well yesterday and just saying we're not good enough any more and on the way home we were listening to the Cork hurling game and was in good mood. But after watching TSG last night, reading the papers today and hearing about Brolly's constant attacks on Sean Cavanagh certainly there seems to be a bit of a witch hunt out there.
I agree with you WT4 that Sean isn't helping the cause with his antics and is giving the media and others too much rope to hang him with. Whereas Colm has really settled down and puts the head down, takes the knocks and doesn't whinge the way he used to. I saw at least 2 incidents yesterday were he was taken down off the ball and he didn't even react once.
The bit in bold. Only he's giving them all the rope. It's easy to have a go at Brolly, but all pundits have picked up on the way he plays - there seems to be universal agreement (outside Tyrone at least!) on those black card incidents.

rrhf

Sean Cavanagh gave nobody a black card and was fouled on every occasion. 

Fuzzman

Just read rate the ref on page 67 of Irish News.
I don't know who wrote it but it certainly states that he was very harsh on Tyrone and give no protection to McCurry.
Cavanagh does get HUGE abuse every game he plays but his reputation as a diver now means he never plays with a clean sheet.
I think he is often targeted now for special attention because of who he is and so to me he needs to re address this now.
Move him to FF and let players drag him down in the box

lenny

Quote from: rrhf on June 16, 2014, 05:37:40 PM

He should have received a black card in injury time for a tackle. He also should have received a black card instead of Darren Hughes for the incident in which Hughes was black carded. He was fouled on a few occasions alrite but he goes to ground so dramatically it is hard to be sympathetic to him. Monaghan were the better side overall in what was a fairly enjoyable and exciting match. Personally I thought the ref had a decent game. He should however have played at least another minute or two of injury time. Having said that in almost every game too little injury time is played.

J OGorman

But he wasn't. Going to ground does not equal a foul!

Muzz

Quote from: J OGorman on June 16, 2014, 06:08:36 PM

But he wasn't. Going to ground does not equal a foul!

Maybe in your rule book OGorman but not in Kinsella's.  Just ask Dessie Mone what foul was committed when he won his penalty.  Better still watch the replay of the foul incident yourself and let us all know.  Dessie is too busy to talk as he is chasing down Fuzzman.

imtommygunn

Dessie mone doing it doesn't make sean cavanagh doing it ok.

Nally Stand

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 16, 2014, 06:54:02 PM
Dessie mone doing it doesn't make sean cavanagh doing it ok.
Sean Cavanagh doing it doesn't mean we can't mention Dessie Mone doing it ok.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

imtommygunn

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

Some shocking reporting in The Irish News Today. A few quotes:

"Kinsella's adjudication of the black card rule was fine"

"Hughes was shown a black card when he dragged Cavanagh to the ground"

"Yesterday it was Darren Hughes doing the rugby-tackling"

"Set up Monaghan's goal and was black-carded for rugby-tackling Sean Cavanagh"

Now I can understand the ref making a wrong call in the heat of the moment - it's a difficult one to call - but surely journalists can do a better job than this?

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 16, 2014, 11:25:28 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 16, 2014, 09:19:31 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 16, 2014, 12:04:03 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 11:56:10 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 11:50:36 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 15, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 11:31:48 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 11:28:16 PM
Hopefully RTE take their key analyst Tommy Carr to task then. He thought the Hughes incident was a blatant black card. After multiple replays he decided that Hughes "took one for the team" yet later his colleagues decide that Sean dived. I didn't see the Sunday Game but did they highlight how easily the lad went over for the penalty?
Clutching at straws.

It really is. I don't see how you can compare a penalty being given after clear contact with a player pulling another down with him to win a free. If your main defence is quoting Tommy Carr then it's not a very strong one to be fair.

I think the lad went down very easily - is that not a dive to achieve an advantage? There was clear contact between Hughes and Cavanagh. Why was Hughes' arm over the top of Sean's shoulder? My quote of Tommy Carr is more a dig at the analysis on RTE. They have experts looking at the same incident and they arrive at completely polar apart conclusions.
Crucially, the "experts" who had time to view the incident several times - and that's both Brolly and Spillane, and O'Se and Whelan - all reached the same conclusion.

And I haven't heard ANYONE else question the penalty decision.

Maguire the penalty decision was a farce. A textbook dive. A fair and legal tackle went in and he dropped like a stone. The reason no fuss had been made about that is firstly, because it wasn't scored, and secondly because Joe Brolly never mentioned it and if the last few pages of this thread (and several other threads) shows, most lads desperately need Joe to tell them what to think and then they'll blindly repeat him ad nauseum.

You clearly don't know how Joe Brolly is perceived in Monaghan with a comment like that.  :o

You are being completely biased, which is understandable, but it was a stonewall penalty. As to whether is was deliberate/intentional/clumsy/accidental (i.e. a black or yellow) is debatable within the confusion surrounding the application of cards, but it was definitely a penalty.

I'm not just talking about Monaghan folk. The threads from last two Tyrone games have been polluted by people endlessly rehashing whatever Joe Brolly told them to think. As for the penalty, it wasn't scored so not exactly vital, but I defy you to take another look at it and then still try to tell yourself it was a "stonewall penalty". The man dropped to the ground like a stone but that's as near as it got to "stonewall". But sure as I say, unless Joe Brolly says so too....
I've just had a another look. Mone was shoved by the defender. He wasn't "pulled down" or "dragged down" as per the RTE commentators, but it wasn't a shoulder to shoulder tackle and there was absolutely no attempt to go for the ball. Therefore it was a foul. Inside the square. That makes it a penalty.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 16, 2014, 07:36:18 PM

Now I can understand the ref making a wrong call in the heat of the moment - it's a difficult one to call - but surely journalists can do a better job than this?

Maybe they are right and you are wrong!
That was never a square ball!!

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 16, 2014, 07:51:45 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 16, 2014, 07:36:18 PM

Maybe they are right and you are wrong!
If i'm wrong, then so is Brolly, Spillane, O'Se and Whelan - all of whom had the opportunity to see several replays of the incident(s). Not to mention most people here who managed to catch the game or highlights on TV.