Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Team prediction as follows, assuming McManus and Gavin Doogan are non-starters and Lennon is:

1. Rory Beggan
2. Ryan Wylie
3. Drew Wylie
4. Colin Walshe
5. Fintan Kelly
6. Dessie Mone
7. Vinny Corey
8. Eoin Lennon
9. Darren Hughes
10. Paul Finlay
11. Stephen Gollogy
12. Chris McGuinness
13. Jack McCarron
14. Kieran Hughes
15. Dermot Malone

Schkite

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 11, 2014, 01:50:46 PM
Team prediction as follows, assuming McManus and Gavin Doogan are non-starters and Lennon is:

1. Rory Beggan
2. Ryan Wylie
3. Drew Wylie
4. Colin Walshe
5. Fintan Kelly
6. Dessie Mone
7. Vinny Corey
8. Eoin Lennon
9. Darren Hughes
10. Paul Finlay
11. Stephen Gollogy
12. Chris McGuinness
13. Jack McCarron
14. Kieran Hughes
15. Dermot Malone

Assuming the absentees, I'd probably agree with that selection if I was picking it. I think Ryan Wylie is a better option than Duffy and he could have a big impact this year, he was impressive when he came on in the league final. I'd also be in favour of starting both McCarron and McGuinness and having a right go at the Tyrone defence, but I think Malachy might prefer to start an extra "worker" like Donaghy rather than another "scorer". Still, who am I to doubt him!

Huge game for Hughes up front, we need him to have a big impact especially if Conor plays no part. He was disappointing in the quarter-final last year and got a silly red card, but I've seen him say how much that game annoys him so he'll be eager to put that right.

orangeman

Monaghan having their sights set on an AI semi final shows the confidence Malachy O'Rourke has in this Monaghan team. Monaghan won the Ulster title and suffered due to the short turn around time till the quarter final. Monaghan had effectively no prep time last year. With silverware already in the bag, Monaghan go into this game in a different frame of mind to last year. Tyrone caught them last year.

I can't see Monaghan getting caught this year on their home pitch. Monaghan by 4.

Fuzzman

Just got today's Irish News and there seems to be a lot of injuries in the Tyrone camp albeit to a lot of the possible subs. I wonder is Joey any nearer to playing some part

I'd like to see Stevie go back to Full forward but doubt he's fit enough yet for a full game and Wylie "held" him well last year.

BennyHarp

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 11, 2014, 01:50:46 PM

1. Rory Beggan
2. Ryan Wylie
3. Drew Wylie
4. Colin Walshe
5. Fintan Kelly
6. Dessie Mone
7. Vinny Corey
8. Eoin Lennon
9. Darren Hughes
10. Paul Finlay
11. Stephen Gollogy
12. Chris McGuinness
13. Jack McCarron
14. Kieran Hughes
15. Dermot Malone

This looks like potentially a very strong team. With the confidence of being defending champions and with the likes of McManus to come in if the game is tight then I'd be surprised if Tyrone can compete at this level just yet. I've said before, we already have two games under the belt and as long as we don't ship any more injuries, then the back door may be our best route anyway. Maybe Mickey should play a few of the younger lads to give them experience of championship action against a top team?
That was never a square ball!!

omagh_gael

Forecast Summary

Outlook for Friday to Sunday

Mostly cloudy with some spells of rain on Friday then becoming more settled over the weekend with some dry fine weather developing.

Weather looking good for the weekend lads and ladies.

Can you buy eastern stand tickets separately or are they only available as a family ticket? The woman and I are thinking of takin our three kids (3, 2 and 1) for their first championship experience and won't need tickets for them, being under 16. However,, something tells me the eastern stand is only available to family tickets.

Redhand Santa

It would be great to see a bit of decent weather for it. Why don't you just go to the pat McGrane? It says on gaa.ie that u16s can get in there free with no ticket.

I've found the ticketing updates very confusing for this game. In one place they're saying get your tickets early and only limited terrace tickets will be available on the day. In another they're saying u16s get in free and don't need tickets for pat McGrane which is unreserved seating. From what I can gather you can just pay in there on the day with tickets only needed for Gerry Arthur's? But you can buy tickets if you wish in advance.

omagh_gael

I was thinking the Eastern stand as there tends to be more space there. Pat McGrane tends to be pretty packed on big match days. Will have to sacrifice the best view to accommodate my squad!

Fuzzman

Good luck with that OG as its a long time to keep young kids entertained. Maybe they'll be grand but my advice would be either send them to a playground for an hour or bring loads of entertainment on yer phone etc.
I found large crowds and small kids don't mix well but you never know. Also don't expect the language to be sensored.

omaghjoe

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 12, 2014, 12:57:48 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/determined-conor-mcmanus-goes-distance-to-take-on-tyrone-30344717.html

I honestly don't understand how Mickey Harte thinks Conor is gonna play...

I think MH is trying to keep his players on their toes, the recent champo wins against Monaghan may have lulled many of his players into thinking Monaghan will be a walk in the park and with McManus out all the more so.

Problem is all of those matches with Monaghan have been tough tight affairs with us usually squeezing just about thru. Many of those matches could easily have gone the other way and that was with a weaker Monaghan team than present playing a stronger Tyrone team.

Pretty disappointing that MH has to keep his players motivated coming into a match with the reigning Ulster champions.....

Main Street

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/determined-conor-mcmanus-goes-distance-to-take-on-tyrone-30344717.html

That indo article states
'Not since the Ulster final in 1988 have Monaghan beaten Tyrone at senior championship level and in the intervening 26 years they have lost all four matches to them.'

I'm glad that 4th round qualifier at croke park doesn't rate as worthy to be included in the stats.
It's only 4-0 since 1988.

Fuzzman

So much for saying Stevie at FF for Sunday.
Apparently he came off his bike last night and had a bad fall.

Where will the Louth match be? Will be nice to get to the quaterfinals with a few rounds of the L's again. Louth, London, Longford (sorry Derry I expect a shock!)  :o

nrico2006

Quote from: Main Street on June 12, 2014, 11:17:36 AM

That indo article states
'Not since the Ulster final in 1988 have Monaghan beaten Tyrone at senior championship level and in the intervening 26 years they have lost all four matches to them.'

I'm glad that 4th round qualifier at croke park doesn't rate as worthy to be included in the stats.
It's only 4-0 since 1988.

Off the top of my head, Tyrone have played Monaghan in 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2013.  How many Monaghan players have played in every game?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

The round of club championship etc seems to have taken a fair toll on the availability of the Tyrone team and panel. There's a lot of big injuries and a lot of players carrying knocks that won't be healed before Sunday's big game.