Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperHo

Any discipline anxiety  would be around Big Dick, if he starts the game in Lennon's absence and gets up to his usual cynical antics.

Would hate to be close by if Big Dick goes off prematurely

WT4E

Quote from: SuperHo on May 28, 2014, 12:26:28 AM
Any discipline anxiety  would be around Big Dick, if he starts the game in Lennon's absence and gets up to his usual cynical antics.

That's disgusting!!!!!

Fuzzman

ECU, where do you think McGinely's best position is?
Not his favourite position.

Wonder are the refs dreading getting this game. With Monaghan at home he'll want to be a homer but now after McEnaney's recent statement he will feel pressure to apply the black card rule a lot better.
As they said on TSG, nearly every tackle made now we find ourselves asking is that a deliberate trip or  pull down. Refs jobs certainly have got much harder and like I said before I can't see why they can't get help from their linesmen, umpires and even at the bigger IC games some guy in front of a tv screen.

armaghniac

Quote from: WT4E on May 28, 2014, 09:09:17 AM

That's disgusting!!!!!

What a mind you have.
I thought of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

EC Unique

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 28, 2014, 10:40:45 AM

Wonder are the refs dreading getting this game. With Monaghan at home he'll want to be a homer but now after McEnaney's recent statement he will feel pressure to apply the black card rule a lot better.
As they said on TSG, nearly every tackle made now we find ourselves asking is that a deliberate trip or  pull down. Refs jobs certainly have got much harder and like I said before I can't see why they can't get help from their linesmen, umpires and even at the bigger IC games some guy in front of a tv screen.

Attacking half back. He has the best engine on the Tyrone panel which allows him to run into attack and also get back into defence. The lad is a pure athlete, not the best footballer about nor does he have great feet but will run all day and showed on Sat that he can take scores when the opportunity presents itself. Would be a nightmare for the opposing half forward to have to mark him and track his runs.

nrico2006

Quote from: EC Unique on May 28, 2014, 12:50:57 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 28, 2014, 10:40:45 AM

Attacking half back. He has the best engine on the Tyrone panel which allows him to run into attack and also get back into defence. The lad is a pure athlete, not the best footballer about nor does he have great feet but will run all day and showed on Sat that he can take scores when the opportunity presents itself. Would be a nightmare for the opposing half forward to have to mark him and track his runs.

He won't get many scores playing up front, last week was a one off.  But you are right regarding his engine and speed, would be very good to have him back at RHB as he covers alot of ground and never concedes many scores either. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

I think he does deserve his place too and like you said has pace and can run all day.
However, like a good few of the younger defenders, I think he's not naturally defensive minded.
What I mean by that is that his natural instinct is to think about pushing forward and getting into good positions to receive a pass whereas other players instinctively think OK where's my man and what if this attack breaks down?

In the games I've watched Tyrone this year there are too many wing backs caught out of possession and as they highlighted on TSG you then see them running back towards their own goal trying to catch the man. The full back line is totally open then

It will be interesting to see how many scores he gets in the championship and I'd say he'll be better "marked" v Monaghan

Main Street

Quote from: WT4E on May 28, 2014, 09:09:17 AM

That's disgusting!!!!!
Unlike our Tyrone brethren, at least we have a big dick.
But enough of that crude  talk, otherwise some of the Tyrone posters will drag this thread down to the gutter.

The last time we met in the early stages of the championship,  the game was played in Tyrone, Monaghan never got going, even if there was only a couple of points in it in the end, Clerkin got sent off early for little more than being Clerkin and Tyrone just managed the game without breaking serious sweat. Monaghan were division 4 material then.
I don't blame Tyronies for thinking  that this this encounter is going to be more of the same for them. I do admire their faith in their few remaining class players, but just how many times can Seanie link arms,  drag a player to the ground and pull Tyrone out of the fire for one more time?
I suppose Tyronies think that he will be able to do it this one more time, make the crucial difference  and  I wouldn't mock them for that belief, because it has been proven to work time and time again.

As we all know, this USC is really about not letting Donegal win and Tyrone have proven inadequate in that department, whereas Monaghan just have the ways, the means and the brains to beat Donegal.

nrico2006

Monaghan beat a Donegal side last year that had been fired up for the Tyrone game and were complacent with high expectations of just turning up and winning the Ulster final.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sensethetone

Bigis Dickis had a son called Brian, who was a very naughty boy.  ;D

skeog

conor clarke picked up a serious looking knee injury tonight could be season ending for him

CD

Fuzzman - 'I think he does deserve his place too and like you said has pace and can run all day.'

EC Unique - ' The lad is a pure athlete, not the best footballer about nor does he have great feet but will run all day.'

Is it a sad reflection of the game that this is the most important attribute deserving of a place on a county team? Remember when Gaelic Footballers used to be picked for their ability to play football.

(For the record, I'd have him in there too - needs work however - Horse Devlin coached him all the way through the replay - was guldering at him throughout!)
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 28, 2014, 04:11:17 PM
It will be interesting to see how many scores he gets in the championship and I'd say he'll be better "marked" v Monaghan

You're some laugh Fuzz commenting on the 'marking' by Monaghan.. It was Sean Cavanagh's antics which expedited the introduction of the black card system so you're not really in a position to be passing remarks on others 'marking'.

EC Unique

Quote from: CD on June 01, 2014, 04:59:47 PM
Fuzzman - 'I think he does deserve his place too and like you said has pace and can run all day.'

EC Unique - ' The lad is a pure athlete, not the best footballer about nor does he have great feet but will run all day.'

Is it a sad reflection of the game that this is the most important attribute deserving of a place on a county team? Remember when Gaelic Footballers used to be picked for their ability to play football.

(For the record, I'd have him in there too - needs work however - Horse Devlin coached him all the way through the replay - was guldering at him throughout!)

Ciaran's footballing ability is good enough to have him in the Tyrone squad. Ciaran's speed and engine is what makes the difference and gets him a starting place.

CD

Quote from: EC Unique on June 02, 2014, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: CD on June 01, 2014, 04:59:47 PM

Ciaran's footballing ability is good enough to have him in the Tyrone squad. Ciaran's speed and engine is what makes the difference and gets him a starting place.

Like I said - I'd definitely have him in there as well - I just find it interesting that you both commented on his other attributes before his football skills. A sign of the times. I'd say he's a player who'll get better every season - noticed Horse coaching him a lot from the sideline in Newry and having a go at him for not tracking and picking up his man and for adopting poor covering positions. It wouldn't do his confidence any good to have a coach constantly at him during play but the coaching staff were obviously concerned enough to be on his case. Dermy Carlin had a word with him as well. If he can get tuned in mentally we'll see a more confident player. Hope we see the best of him in the next few weeks.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!