Muineachán v An Mhí, NFL Division 2 Round 2, Clones, Sunday 9th February 2014

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 03, 2014, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

This tie needs no introduction and always contains plenty of needle..

We should have McManus and (possibly) Lennon starting with Kieran Hughes there or there about. I feel we ran out of steam yesterday. We were full tilt for 40-50 minutes and played some great defending and counter attacking football but need to pace ourselves better for the full 70 mins.. I know it's only February and that should come with fitness. Our new lads done well I thought but we defended the lead too much when Down got their goal and this crack of hand-passing backwards right the way back to the keeper is hard to watch..

So, it's a case of do what you do well and I think we're in with a good shout..

Main Street

Revenge for Banty, part 3.
Hard to see any other outcome but yet another win for Monaghan over Meath.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

babarino

Cormac Reilly's the roughest Meath man we've had to deal with recently. Has he been named yet? ...we can't seem to shake him off.

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on February 03, 2014, 11:24:46 PM
Cormac Reilly's the roughest Meath man we've had to deal with recently. Has he been named yet? ...we can't seem to shake him off.
He clings as hard as a Cavanagh arm link.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on February 03, 2014, 03:11:49 PM
I believe Monaghan are very rough this year.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-dont-think-we-are-as-far-off-the-mark-as-a-lot-of-people-say-29436286.html

Tyrone were All-Ireland champions and had the famous cup in daily circulation, with Donnelly the appointed guardian, seeing that it got to all the destinations marked in his diary and came to no harm.On the day it arrived in Irvinestown, the Ederney parish priest, Fr Larry Duffy, came to pay his dues. He was a Farney man and in those few minutes his passion for Monaghan football shone like a beacon. Seeing his arrival, the principal jested: "Come here Father and we will get ye immortalised, the first Monaghan man to hold the Sam Maguire."

The white and blue jersey was stolen in Kenya in 2002 while he was saying Mass by a tree in the open air, one of a number of items taken from his car. He came back some time later with a Monaghan GAA yearbook to show the locals what the missing object looked like and asked them to help in the search.
The same evening he spotted a Kenyan lady on a bicycle wearing a Monaghan shirt. Rarely has two and two made four with such alacrity. "We had an interesting meeting. She said her husband had got it for her; turns out she had no husband. Maybe her son had taken it from the car, I don't know."No matter. Priest and shirt were reunited.

Jinxy

Bingo

Slightly off topic but it relates to Monaghan, so i'll put it in here but everytime I hear about player welfare and burnout I can only laugh. How serious are they about it?

On Sunday 3 young lads played for Monaghan in the NFL - Ryan Wylie, Conor Boyle and Paraic Keenan.

Last night the U21's played a Shamrock Cup match in Monaghan and yes, all 3 players started for the U21's.

So in early February, Monaghan GAA in their wisdom thought that it be ok to play these 3 lads in two matches in two days.

Main Street

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Bingo on February 04, 2014, 02:27:04 PM
Slightly off topic but it relates to Monaghan, so i'll put it in here but everytime I hear about player welfare and burnout I can only laugh. How serious are they about it?

On Sunday 3 young lads played for Monaghan in the NFL - Ryan Wylie, Conor Boyle and Paraic Keenan.

Last night the U21's played a Shamrock Cup match in Monaghan and yes, all 3 players started for the U21's.

So in early February, Monaghan GAA in their wisdom thought that it be ok to play these 3 lads in two matches in two days.

Is there much difference in playing two matches in 3 days and having a couple of horrendously hard training sessions in the week? I would prefer the above option to be honest...

thejuice

Quote from: Main Street on February 03, 2014, 03:10:54 PM

We owe you lads about 10 years of hidings for sending that clown down our way. Hopefully this weekend will be the start of it.

That said its hard to predict. Different Meath team, different approach and different rules. Some bookies put us slight favourites probably based on last weeks games.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Given the pace we have in attack I think we should drop an extra body back around midfield/centre back.
If we concede more than a single goal, we'll lose.

Main Street

Quote from: thejuice on February 07, 2014, 09:05:13 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 03, 2014, 03:10:54 PM

We owe you lads about 10 years of hidings for sending that clown down our way. Hopefully this weekend will be the start of it.

That said its hard to predict. Different Meath team, different approach and different rules. Some bookies put us slight favourites probably based on last weeks games.
Sending Banty down there was payment in full for Colm Coyle. You should have taken your punishment with humility and treated him with good old fashioned christian respect.

Is there some Meath local radio coverage of the game or do we all join hands together and listen to Northern Sound?

Monaghan team named.  The subs bench alone has enough wherewithal to win this game

1 Rory Beggan

2 Ryan Wylie

3 Drew Wylie

4 Fintan Kelly

5 Dessie Mone

6 Colin Walshe

7 Conor Boyle

8 Gavin Doogan

9 Paul Finlay

10 Thomas Kerr

11  Stephen Gollogly

12 Padraic Keenan

13 Dermot Malone

14 Jack Mc Carron

15 Chris Mc Guinness

subs  Gerard Mc Caffrey, Kieran Duffy,  Conor Galligan,  Karl O'Connell, Vinny Corry, Owen Lennon,  Padraig Donaghy, Shane Carey, Shane Smyth, Conor McManus , Kieran Hughes

Bingo

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on February 05, 2014, 03:04:25 PM
Quote from: Bingo on February 04, 2014, 02:27:04 PM

Is there much difference in playing two matches in 3 days and having a couple of horrendously hard training sessions in the week? I would prefer the above option to be honest...

By all accounts this was caused by a bus driver not collecting 7 players in Dublin on time to get them home.

Matches V Training? No comparison, its the physciality, contact and intensity of a match that can't be repricated in a tough training session. Thats why managers harp on about not releasing players for club matches as the chances of injuries and fatigue are increased. Sure after a tough match the training would be about recovery.