LETHAL ALLIES : British Collusion in Ireland

Started by cadhlancian, November 18, 2013, 04:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Just finished this, and tbh , as someone who grew up in east Tyrone in 70s, 80,s and 90,s, this totally blows my mind. There was always a general "acceptance" that collusion existed in our society. But, to see this written down in a book like this really drives it home. Surely the British government has a serious case to answer in light of this book? This is as bad as it gets. The incident regarding The Rock Bar is particularly galling. Prosecutions have to come out of this .

moysider

orangeman

God help and man or woman waiting for prosecutions to come out of this book.

deiseach

Quote from: moysider on November 18, 2013, 09:49:31 AM

What have you been reading?

I'm guessing LETHAL ALLIES : British Collusion in Ireland. The one-star reviews on Amazon are revealing, covering as they do the full spread of denial:

1) None of it is true!
2) Okay, some of it may be true but they were bad apples!
3) Okay, it's all true but isn't it time to move on?

BennyCake

Even the dogs on the street know about collusion. It's a waste of time thinking anyone will be brought to justice though. The British government usually pin medals on those involved, like they did with the soldiers on Bloody Sunday.

It makes my blood boil thinking about it. God knows how the families affected feel. The security forces are rotten to the core. Still are, in my opinion. A change of name and uniform doesn't change a thing.

theskull1

There's certainly a market for authors to make money in this space. Its not always about finding the truth. Just need to be wary of that
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Feckitt

Quote from: theskull1 on November 18, 2013, 12:24:03 PM
There's certainly a market for authors to make money in this space. Its not always about finding the truth. Just need to be wary of that

The author Anne Cadwallader is not making a single penny from this book.  All profits are going back into the Pat Finucane Centre.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Feckitt on November 18, 2013, 01:29:07 PM

The author Anne Cadwallader is not making a single penny from this book.  All profits are going back into the Pat Finucane Centre.

Also it is not a fly by night type of book based on generating money. It is the culmination of 15 years worth of research but theskull does have a very valid caveat.

CD

Quote from: deiseach on November 18, 2013, 09:57:38 AM
Quote from: moysider on November 18, 2013, 09:49:31 AM

What have you been reading?

I'm guessing LETHAL ALLIES : British Collusion in Ireland. The one-star reviews on Amazon are revealing, covering as they do the full spread of denial:

1) None of it is true!
2) Okay, some of it may be true but they were bad apples!
3) Okay, it's all true but isn't it time to move on?

It's quite funny - all the DUPS and UUPS giving it 1 star, The Shinners giving it 5. We just need a wee 3 from the Alliance. Even book reviews in this country are polarised!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

deiseach

Quote from: CD on November 18, 2013, 02:22:29 PM
It's quite funny - all the DUPS and UUPS giving it 1 star, The Shinners giving it 5. We just need a wee 3 from the Alliance. Even book reviews in this country are polarised!

;D

Nally Stand

There's certainly a market for authors to make money in this space.
Couldn't the same be said for any book genre? And as already mentioned, the author is not taking a penny from the sales profit. All profts will be going back into the Pat Finucane Centre so that they can continue their work.

Its not always about finding the truth. Just need to be wary of that
Is this book not about finding the truth? After all, the claims made in the book are backed up with the evidence. What is your insinuation?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

The author, Anne Cadwallader, will be on Vincent Browne tonight.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

cadhlancian

Unlike various other books, this book has been diligently put together. There is very little idle speculation , and nearly everything and everyone mentioned in it, was justifiably so! I can read as well as the next man, and I don't need amazon to tell me anything else. The use of the word bad apples by some on here, is an embarrassment . The bottom line is , that the state allowed scores of INNOCENT people to be murdered over an extended period of time. There are bad apples everywhere, the point is, when they are found , they are usually fucked out of the barrel , NOT allowed to continue to rot !

glens abu

A lot on this board would rather believe a programme that contained the lies of two alcoholics with an axe to grind, than a book on collusion backed up with facts.

Main Street

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 18, 2013, 03:42:57 PM
Unlike various other books, this book has been diligently put together. There is very little idle speculation , and nearly everything and everyone mentioned in it, was justifiably so! I can read as well as the next man, and I don't need amazon to tell me anything else. The use of the word bad apples by some on here, is an embarrassment . The bottom line is , that the state allowed scores of INNOCENT people to be murdered over an extended period of time. There are bad apples everywhere, the point is, when they are found , they are usually fucked out of the barrel , NOT allowed to continue to rot !
Wft are you on about? Can you not read the few replies on this thread for what they are about.
Are you sure you can read as well as the next man?