2013 All-Stars

Started by ONeill, July 29, 2013, 04:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 29, 2013, 04:39:47 PM
I'll have a stab based on performances to date:
1 Niall Morgan (on NFL performances)
2 Killian Clarke
3 Ger Cafferky (not that bowled over by him but can't think of an outstanding candidate)
4 Colin Walshe (Should get one regardless of what happens from here)
5 James McCarthy (Ditto)
6 Dessie Mone
7 Jack McCaffrey
8 Aidan O'Shea (or David Givney)
9 Sean Cavanagh
10 Cian Mackey (or Mark Donnelly)
11 Ciaran Kilkenny
12 Paul Flynn
13 Colm Cooper (out of position, I know)
14 Kieran Hughes (or Alan Freeman)
15 Paul Mannion

Obviously will change completely

Givney is not within an asses roar of an all-star.

Maguire01

No one nailed on at this stage I don't think, although you could fill out a good few of the nominations.

thewobbler

2 Killian Clarke
3 Ger Cafferky (not that bowled over by him but can't think of an outstanding candidate)
5 James McCarthy (Ditto)
6 Dessie Mone
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Sean Cavanagh
11 Ciaran Kilkenny
12 Paul Flynn
15 Paul Mannion

Picking a team on performances to date is pointless. You'll get a lot closer by predicting your semi finalists and finalists then working out something like 1 for one semi finalist, 2 for the more emotional semi finalist, 5 for the runners up and 7 for the winners.

The exception to this rule is when Dublin are gallantly dumped out at the semis. This is worthy 3 spots for being Dublin, including Clucko's birthright.

Cluxton
Walshe, Cafferkey, Higgins
Keegan, Mone, McCaffrey
A O'Shea, McAuley
McLoughlin, Kilkenny, Flynn
Cooper, O'Connor, Moran

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

We'll see how many of these Dublin "all stars" perform this weekend. Hopefully they'll be stuffed and that'll be the end of this all star talk.

larryin89

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 29, 2013, 08:04:44 PM
Mayo's best player last season did not get one. KML  ::)

It was criminal  he didn't get one.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

They really should think about naming a 'panel' of 26 players for the All-Stars. Have some of them on the proverbial bench if you really want to keep naming a team of 15 but they need to break the AI finalist monopoly on All-Stars somehow. Many truly great players haven't an All-Star while lesser players are flooded with them because they were lucky enough to be born in a 'top' county.

The GAA need to make a big deal out of their Hall of Fame. Make that the ultimate individual prize in the sport. It's one far more open to players from smaller counties.

mb80b60

Quote from: thewobbler on July 29, 2013, 10:19:40 PM
2 Killian Clarke
5 James McCarthy (Ditto)
6 Dessie Mone
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Sean Cavanagh
11 Ciaran Kilkenny
12 Paul Flynn
15 Paul Mannion

Picking a team on performances to date is pointless. You'll get a lot closer by predicting your semi finalists and finalists then working out something like 1 for one semi finalist, 2 for the more emotional semi finalist, 5 for the runners up and 7 for the winners.

The exception to this rule is when Dublin are gallantly dumped out at the semis. This is worthy 3 spots for being Dublin, including Clucko's birthright.

Cluxton
Keegan, Mone, McCaffrey
A O'Shea, McAuley
Cooper, O'Connor, Moran

How do you mean?  Cluxton has won one all star in the last 5 years.  It was the year they won it and he fully deserved it.  If anything, he should probably have been awarded more all stars.

onefaircounty

Quote from: Dont Matter on July 29, 2013, 05:28:41 PM
7. McCaffery
9. Cavanagh
10. Munnelly
11. Gooch
15. Mannion

You are the gift that keeps giving. Best WUM on the site.

Canalman

Quote from: BennyCake on July 29, 2013, 10:58:59 PM
We'll see how many of these Dublin "all stars" perform this weekend. Hopefully they'll be stuffed and that'll be the end of this all star talk.

Indeed , many an "allstar award" lost at the 1/4 final stages.

As always there are no cast iron certainties for an allstar until the semi final stage. The old system where winning the league or the province guaranteed you the one is gone the way of the dodo.

johnneycool

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 29, 2013, 04:13:38 PM
Only one certain at the minute is the Hurling keeper's spot.

And Paul Murphy has a defenders spot sewn up already as well

thewobbler

Quote from: mb80b60 on July 30, 2013, 12:34:19 AM
2 Killian Clarke
5 James McCarthy (Ditto)
6 Dessie Mone
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Sean Cavanagh
11 Ciaran Kilkenny
12 Paul Flynn
15 Paul Mannion

Cluxton
Keegan, Mone, McCaffrey
A O'Shea, McAuley
Cooper, O'Connor, Moran

How do you mean?  Cluxton has won one all star in the last 5 years.  It was the year they won it and he fully deserved it.  If anything, he should probably have been awarded more all stars.

He's probably the best keeper I've seen, but 4 All Stars divided by 1 All Ireland has got to make him the player most awarded for individual pursuits in the history of the GAA.

I'd imagine his predecessor O'Leary held the mantle before him too, sometimes rightly, sometime wrongly. Great goalkeeper as he was, Neil Collins couldn't really have done an awful lot more in 1994 to get recognition above him.

mb80b60

Quote from: thewobbler on July 30, 2013, 09:30:18 AM
2 Killian Clarke
5 James McCarthy (Ditto)
6 Dessie Mone
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Sean Cavanagh
11 Ciaran Kilkenny
12 Paul Flynn
15 Paul Mannion

Cluxton
Keegan, Mone, McCaffrey
A O'Shea, McAuley
Cooper, O'Connor, Moran

He's probably the best keeper I've seen, but 4 All Stars divided by 1 All Ireland has got to make him the player most awarded for individual pursuits in the history of the GAA.

I'd imagine his predecessor O'Leary held the mantle before him too, sometimes rightly, sometime wrongly. Great goalkeeper as he was, Neil Collins couldn't really have done an awful lot more in 1994 to get recognition above him.

1 all ireland perhaps, but he also has 8 leinster medals.  As you say, he is the greatest keeper you have ever seen, 4 all stars is hardly unbelievable. 

Anyway, I digress - your original point was that it was 'Clucko's Birthright'.  I think one all star in the past 5 years dispells that myth.  I don't see who else could possibly win it this year.

screenexile

Quote from: mb80b60 on July 30, 2013, 10:11:11 AM
2 Killian Clarke
5 James McCarthy (Ditto)
6 Dessie Mone
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Sean Cavanagh
11 Ciaran Kilkenny
12 Paul Flynn
15 Paul Mannion

Cluxton
Keegan, Mone, McCaffrey
A O'Shea, McAuley
Cooper, O'Connor, Moran

1 all ireland perhaps, but he also has 8 leinster medals.  As you say, he is the greatest keeper you have ever seen, 4 all stars is hardly unbelievable. 

Anyway, I digress - your original point was that it was 'Clucko's Birthright'.  I think one all star in the past 5 years dispells that myth.  I don't see who else could possibly win it this year.

Clucko has made no real outstanding saves this year and his short kickout strategy has generally been negated so what pits him higher than the other keepers left in the Championship bar his name?

nrico2006

Quote from: mb80b60 on July 30, 2013, 10:11:11 AM
2 Killian Clarke
5 James McCarthy (Ditto)
6 Dessie Mone
7 Jack McCaffrey
9 Sean Cavanagh
11 Ciaran Kilkenny
12 Paul Flynn
15 Paul Mannion

Cluxton
Keegan, Mone, McCaffrey
A O'Shea, McAuley
Cooper, O'Connor, Moran

Are you seriously saying that Cluxton is the only one who could win it this year?  Why?  In all seriousness, what has he done that any other keeper hasn't?  I'm sure there are keepers in this years championship who have been more impressive, as Cluxtons defence has been pretty watertight so far and he hasn't had much to do.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'