LIDL, making a political point? whats the story?

Started by lawnseed, June 13, 2013, 07:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

I'm not really a big hurling fan, the inevitable sight of a guy in black and yellow lifting the Liam MC carthy in September is like ground hog day for me.(all credit to kilkenny) however the young lawnseedlings are hurling mad they have good sticks and slithers but they don't last long when the training is 'the stick the ball and the wall' day and night. i was pleased to hear that the sticks and ball were on offer in German supermarket giant lidl. how bad could they be..? the kids could train at home with the cheap stuff and use the good sticks for proper training. so off to lidl in armagh last week and searched the shop no hurling stuff??!!  sold out? nahh.. i was informed that i was in 'lidl uk' and hurling stuff was only sold in 'lidl ireland'!! is this true has anyone seen any hurling stuff in a lidl store in the six counties. this is worse than kelloggs doing the gaa bowls and not doing the nordie counties. emails are already in germany no replies as yet. gonna try monaghan
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: lawnseed on June 13, 2013, 07:32:11 AM
I'm not really a big hurling fan, the inevitable sight of a guy in black and yellow lifting the Liam MC carthy in September is like ground hog day for me.(all credit to kilkenny) however the young lawnseedlings are hurling mad they have good sticks and slithers but they don't last long when the training is 'the stick the ball and the wall' day and night. i was pleased to hear that the sticks and ball were on offer in German supermarket giant lidl. how bad could they be..? the kids could train at home with the cheap stuff and use the good sticks for proper training. so off to lidl in armagh last week and searched the shop no hurling stuff??!!  sold out? nahh.. i was informed that i was in 'lidl uk' and hurling stuff was only sold in 'lidl ireland'!! is this true has anyone seen any hurling stuff in a lidl store in the six counties. this is worse than kelloggs doing the gaa bowls and not doing the nordie counties. emails are already in germany no replies as yet. gonna try monaghan

Not really "making a political point". 

LIDL has different specials in different countries.  The reality is that LIDL U.K. and LIDL ROI are separate companies so offers can vary.

I doubt that Helmut back in the Berlin Head Office is aware that the lawnseeds believe the Good Friday Agreement entitles them to cheap hurling gear and like as not the map on his office wall shows Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

/Jim.

armaghniac

QuoteNot really "making a political point". 

Bollix. This is exactly making  political point, LIDL NI is distinct from the GB version and they know exactly what they are doing.
Complain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Shamrock Shore

Could lawnseed not buy a cheap electic saw from Lidl in Norn Iron and fashion his own hurl?

Everyone's a winner then.

On the other hand buying in Monaghan will boost the ROI economy and keep the VAT shillings away from Her Maj.

deiseach

Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2013, 10:45:27 AM
Bollix. This is exactly making  political point, LIDL NI is distinct from the GB version and they know exactly what they are doing.
Complain.

Er, what is it that they know they are doing?

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on June 13, 2013, 10:55:41 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2013, 10:45:27 AM
Complain.

Er, what is it that they know they are doing?

Unusually I do think Lawnseed has a point.

If you are doing business in an area you need to be certain of the nature of doing business in that area. Aside from that NI employment discrimination laws are such that it would be impossible not to know the nature of doing business there.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Good 'sticks'/bad 'sticks' how are you differentiating between these hurls?

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on June 13, 2013, 01:20:38 PM

If you are doing business in an area you need to be certain of the nature of doing business in that area. Aside from that NI employment discrimination laws are such that it would be impossible not to know the nature of doing business there.

Not stocking hurleys is discriminatory?

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on June 13, 2013, 01:40:28 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 13, 2013, 01:20:38 PM

This is what interested me: "i was informed that i was in 'lidl uk' and hurling stuff was only sold in 'lidl ireland'!! is this true"

Now of course this may be the usual Lawnseed hyperbole.
MWWSI 2017

grounded

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 13, 2013, 10:23:35 AM

Not really "making a political point". 

LIDL has different specials in different countries.  The reality is that LIDL U.K. and LIDL ROI are separate companies so offers can vary.

I doubt that Helmut back in the Berlin Head Office is aware that the lawnseeds believe the Good Friday Agreement entitles them to cheap hurling gear and like as not the map on his office wall shows Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

/Jim.

These are the two different pages
http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-96DE773D-20E334F2/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=32051
http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ni_ie/hs.xsl/index.htm

The special offers are virtually identical every week. I suppose the selling of GAA gear in their local store, might get a few of the brethern a little hot under the collar.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: deiseach on June 13, 2013, 01:40:28 PM

Yup they are making the point but the young lawnseeds want to take their points.

Dónal Óg will never get his Team Ulster off the ground with this going on.

/Jim.

snoopdog

Lawnseed, i have also just sent them a mail asking why they are not giving the same offer in the North, considering it is the biggest sporting body in the wee 6.
I also noted the request goes to their offices in newbridge co Kildare.

deiseach

Quote from: grounded on June 13, 2013, 01:56:37 PM
The special offers are virtually identical every week. I suppose the selling of GAA gear in their local store, might get a few of the brethern a little hot under the collar.

I was thinking that. My first instinct is the same as Jim's, that corporate Lidl back in the Fatherland are too inflexible to realise that there might be a demand for hurleys in some parts of the UK. After that, I'm wondering whether they're being (overly) sensitive to the possibility of petrol bombs through the windows of their stores. The thought that they want to let the Taigs know that Ulster is British seems a distant third in the list of reasons for not stocking hurleys.

johnneycool

Quote from: snoopdog on June 13, 2013, 02:07:11 PM
Lawnseed, i have also just sent them a mail asking why they are not giving the same offer in the North, considering it is the biggest sporting body in the wee 6.

Its heartening to see a demand for hurls in non hurling areas and I'm not talking about Rathcoole..

snoopdog

Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 13, 2013, 02:07:11 PM

Its heartening to see a demand for hurls in non hurling areas and I'm not talking about Rathcoole..

we will need a few hurls in Down now we will be a dual county next summer :)