Donegal on slippery slope?

Started by ck, April 08, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Zulu on April 27, 2013, 07:25:07 AM
Quote from: J70 on April 27, 2013, 03:42:43 AM
According to the Examiner, the case couldn't be pursued because McBrearty wouldn't testify.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/officials-fume-as-obrien-escapes-three-game-ban-229675.html

Does that not lay the blame for this fiasco at the feet of Donegal? Why would McBrearty not attend a disciplinary meeting if O'Brien bit him and received a 3 match ban, surely he'd be happy to see someone punished so it wouldn't happen again and the punishment isn't so severe that he should harbour any guilty about a fellow player?

While that article contradicts the previous line that there was no evidence it doesn't make the case any less strange or explain Donegal's role in this fiasco.

It seems pretty clear to me, and yes Donegal and/or the CCCC are at fault in that they went ahead without securing McBrearty's input. From the first days it was clear he wanted it left where it was and I can fully understand how a young lad of his age wouldn't want to pursue, maybe out of embarrassment, not wanting the press attention or even some stupid immature notion about being seen to "rat" on another player (yeah, he must have said who it was at the time, but that could simply be him telling Jim or the medic that "that f**ker bit me!" and wanting the wound seen to). I would think that they felt they'd be able to talk him into attending and so went along with the hearing. Its hardly the first time that a hearing, legal or otherwise, fell apart because one of the principals didn't want to pursue it.

Simplest explanation to me: there was a bite; McBrearty said to leave it at that; referees had to report it as they'd already told them; Donegal tried to get McBrearty to appear; he wouldn't; it fell apart. End of story.

The Hill is Blue

All this will make for one hell of a game if Dublin and Donegal meet later in the year.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on April 27, 2013, 11:22:47 AM
According to the Examiner, the case couldn't be pursued because McBrearty wouldn't testify.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/officials-fume-as-obrien-escapes-three-game-ban-229675.html

Does that not lay the blame for this fiasco at the feet of Donegal? Why would McBrearty not attend a disciplinary meeting if O'Brien bit him and received a 3 match ban, surely he'd be happy to see someone punished so it wouldn't happen again and the punishment isn't so severe that he should harbour any guilty about a fellow player?

While that article contradicts the previous line that there was no evidence it doesn't make the case any less strange or explain Donegal's role in this fiasco.

It seems pretty clear to me, and yes Donegal and/or the CCCC are at fault in that they went ahead without securing McBrearty's input. From the first days it was clear he wanted it left where it was and I can fully understand how a young lad of his age wouldn't want to pursue, maybe out of embarrassment, not wanting the press attention or even some stupid immature notion about being seen to "rat" on another player (yeah, he must have said who it was at the time, but that could simply be him telling Jim or the medic that "that f**ker bit me!" and wanting the wound seen to). I would think that they felt they'd be able to talk him into attending and so went along with the hearing. Its hardly the first time that a hearing, legal or otherwise, fell apart because one of the principals didn't want to pursue it.

Simplest explanation to me: there was a bite; McBrearty said to leave it at that; referees had to report it as they'd already told them; Donegal tried to get McBrearty to appear; he wouldn't; it fell apart. End of story.

Simple explanation for me would be the exact opposite.

Its the two players I feel sorry for.

One who did nothing wrong and will spend the rest of his days explaining an incident he never committed

The other having to go through with something he didn't feel comfortable with and again will have to answer the same questions in every interview he ever does.

Sad situation for both in my view.

orangeman

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 27, 2013, 11:47:26 AM
All this will make for one hell of a game if Dublin and Donegal meet later in the year.

The journos will revel in it.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on April 27, 2013, 11:50:13 AM

One who did nothing wrong and will spend the rest of his days explaining an incident he never committed

The other having to go through with something he didn't feel comfortable with and again will have to answer the same questions in every interview he ever does.

Agree 100%

J70

Quote from: INDIANA on April 27, 2013, 11:50:13 AM

There's just too much conspiring and plotting and malice in your explanation for me to find it realistic or even plausible. But there's no point in going around in circles with this.

And yes, it will be tough for both players, at least for a while. Let's just hope, at least for their sake, that we don't meet in the championship this year!

imtommygunn

Th whole thing doesn't add up to me. Mcbrearty plays football his whole life without much furore and then all of a sudden one match day he complains about being bitten. Why would he do that? It doesn't add up to me that he would make it up.

To add to that the complaint is made at half time when donegal are WINNING.

I know there would seem to be no evidence but put yourself in donegal's position. Your player accuses opposition of a disgusting act. N.b. i am not saying it did or did not happen when i use that comment. What do donegal do? Do they a) back their player or b) sweep it under the carpet? They have to back their player - simple as that.

Bear in mind that the gaa have just banned mckeever as what he said was "more likely to have happened than not have happened". How can you have faith in a system like that?

Indiana your cynicism of all things donegal has been evident for a long time now. You are constantly sniping about how they're average footballers etc and you clearly have it in for them. There are ins and outs to this case i don't think anyone knows but sure we'll just say they're all bare faced liars anyway ::)

Orchardman

Very strange that the dubs on here seem to want to pretend that nothing happened at all. There was a bite, it wouldn't have been made up.

I think dublin came out of this fairly badly as well, as their player should have been made to own up much sooner. The fact that paddy didn't want the hassle of going to the hearing has let the dublin guy off, which is a shame as any kind of behaviour like this needs stamped out

heffo

Quote from: Orchardman on April 27, 2013, 12:55:11 PM
There was a bite

Really? You seen the player being bitten and a bite mark after?

Orchardman

Quote from: heffo on April 27, 2013, 12:58:35 PM
There was a bite

Really? You seen the player being bitten and a bite mark after?

yea, im convinced of it from what i know. So ur convinced that it didn't happen, how do you know it didn't happen?

just admit when ur man done wrong, i'd be ashamed if an armagh player did it

DuffleKing

Course there was a bite. Can't be proven though

Zulu

Very strange that the dubs on here seem to want to pretend that nothing happened at all. There was a bite, it wouldn't have been made up.

I think dublin came out of this fairly badly as well, as their player should have been made to own up much sooner. The fact that paddy didn't want the hassle of going to the hearing has let the dublin guy off, which is a shame as any kind of behaviour like this needs stamped out

See I don't buy that either, why would Donegal accept McBrearty not going down or why would he feel it was hassle? All the hassle was already there, the guy was named so if it happened all Paddy had to do was attend the hearing say what happened and that would be the end of it one way or another. If he was naive enough to think not going would put an end to it then the Donegal CB officials would certainly have corrected him.

I don't see how anyone can state there was or wasn't a bite unless they know something not in the public domain. From reading between the lines here and on other discussion boards the Dubs seem confident that there wasn't a bite and while others are presuming there was based on the unlikeliness of Donegal lying about such a thing.

While I'm sure this will die a death without the full story emerging or anyone being taken to task for it I hope lessons are being learnt by somebody as this has been a farce from start to finish and the GAA needs to address these types of incidents more efficiently.

J70

Quote from: Zulu on April 27, 2013, 01:37:48 PM

See I don't buy that either, why would Donegal accept McBrearty not going down or why would he feel it was hassle? All the hassle was already there, the guy was named so if it happened all Paddy had to do was attend the hearing say what happened and that would be the end of it one way or another. If he was naive enough to think not going would put an end to it then the Donegal CB officials would certainly have corrected him.

I don't see how anyone can state there was or wasn't a bite unless they know something not in the public domain. From reading between the lines here and on other discussion boards the Dubs seem confident that there wasn't a bite and while others are presuming there was based on the unlikeliness of Donegal lying about such a thing.

While I'm sure this will die a death without the full story emerging or anyone being taken to task for it I hope lessons are being learnt by somebody as this has been a farce from start to finish and the GAA needs to address these types of incidents more efficiently.

How would Donegal force McBrearty to attend the hearing? I'm sure they thought they could persuade him, but if he was adamant, what could they do?

But you're right, of course, that the GAA need to sort out their disciplinary process, once and for all.

trileacman

Weighing up the odds.

Dublin player is accused of biting. He is charged and on appeal it is rescinded due to McBearty not showing up/ a technicality.
OR
Donegal fabricate a biting incident at half time in their last NFL match and take it all the way to the CCC.

Well if I was a betting man I'd see one of them is more plausible. Indiana and some of the other Dubs are in absolute denial, they'll soon be saying it was Jim Mc Guinness on the grassy knoll. To conclude that Donegal fabricated the entire affair just because the CCC didn't hand out any bans is a running leap that Jim Corr would be proud of.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

INDIANA

Quote from: trileacman on April 27, 2013, 02:33:30 PM
Weighing up the odds.

Dublin player is accused of biting. He is charged and on appeal it is rescinded due to McBearty not showing up/ a technicality.
OR
Donegal fabricate a biting incident at half time in their last NFL match and take it all the way to the CCC.

Well if I was a betting man I'd see one of them is more plausible. Indiana and some of the other Dubs are in absolute denial, they'll soon be saying it was Jim Mc Guinness on the grassy knoll. To conclude that Donegal fabricated the entire affair just because the CCC didn't hand out any bans is a running leap that Jim Corr would be proud of.

Its called the facts and you have none.