Donegal on slippery slope?

Started by ck, April 08, 2013, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: ck on April 10, 2013, 01:59:38 PM
Who says McBrearty wants to sweep it under the carpet?? He obviously brought it to the attention of his management and medical team.

So that means he wanted a big investigation and media circus? Perhaps he just wanted his wound looked at. And even a 19 year old kid saying "Jim, that cnut bit me" is hardly saying "let's go on national television"!

And it was in the Indo that I read that McBrearty wanted to move on. The lad does have an Ulster U-21 final tonight.

Fuzzman

As a neutral from Tyrone who obviously see Donegal as the new rivals on the block, I am shocked how many of ye on here are suspecting Donegal here of telling lies.

The lad definitely had at least a bruise and if they used the word bite then they must know it would look bad on them if that turned out to be a lie.
They reported it to the ref and to the Dublin doctor but just not to the media yet so why are ye all so doubting that it ever happened.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 10, 2013, 02:13:53 PM
As a neutral too, why would you doubt it happened? It is being dealt with by the CCCC, they aren't going to name somebody until they have looked at the case

There is no such thing as a neutral culchie  ;)

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 10, 2013, 03:15:45 PM
As a neutral from Tyrone who obviously see Donegal as the new rivals on the block, I am shocked how many of ye on here are suspecting Donegal here of telling lies.

The lad definitely had at least a bruise and if they used the word bite then they must know it would look bad on them if that turned out to be a lie.
They reported it to the ref and to the Dublin doctor but just not to the media yet so why are ye all so doubting that it ever happened.

The doubt arises because the Donegal county secretary, Aodh Mairtin O'Fearraigh, confirmed to the Donegal Democrat that McBrearty was treated at Letterkenny General Hospital for a laceration of his shoulder.

His injury has moved from a laceration to a graze to a bruise.

Nobody is doubting he has a bruise, but there's definitely an element of exaggeration that's going on, the question is how much of an exaggeration. Anyone with a Dublin bias is going to assume there was gross exaggeration, unless/until Donegal come up with better evidence.

RMDrive

Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2013, 04:19:55 PM

The doubt arises because the Donegal county secretary, Aodh Mairtin O'Fearraigh, confirmed to the Donegal Democrat that McBrearty was treated at Letterkenny General Hospital for a laceration of his shoulder.

Nobody is doubting he has a bruise, but there's definitely an element of exaggeration that's going on, the question is how much of an exaggeration. Anyone with a Dublin bias is going to assume there was gross exaggeration, unless/until Donegal come up with better evidence.

Where is the exaggeration? The lad was bitten and all you can focus on is the terminology that different journalists have used to describe it? Show me the quotes from the Donegal camp using these different terms. Shameful nitpicking going on here as an excuse to avoid the heart of the problem.

Hound

Quote from: RMDrive on April 10, 2013, 04:29:33 PM

Where is the exaggeration? The lad was bitten and all you can focus on is the terminology that different journalists have used to describe it? Show me the quotes from the Donegal camp using these different terms. Shameful nitpicking going on here as an excuse to avoid the heart of the problem.
That's absolute bullshit.
Nobody from Dublin has used any excuse.

As to your question "where is the exaggeration"? The reporter is on record as saying he asked O'Fearraigh was a laceration an accuarate description of the injury. To which O'Fearraigh outright lied and said Yes.

There is the exaggeraton.

rodney trotter

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on April 10, 2013, 04:17:48 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 10, 2013, 02:13:53 PM
As a neutral too, why would you doubt it happened? It is being dealt with by the CCCC, they aren't going to name somebody until they have looked at the case

There is no such thing as a neutral culchie  ;)

Ah yes indeed, anywhere outside of Baile Atha Cliath and you're stuck in the stone - age.

RMDrive

Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2013, 04:36:46 PM

As to your question "where is the exaggeration"? The reporter is on record as saying he asked O'Fearraigh was a laceration an accuarate description of the injury. To which O'Fearraigh outright lied and said Yes.

What reporter and what record. Stick up a link if you don't mind.

And why would using the term laceration necessarily be an exaggeration? You have accused O'Fearraigh of lying. Explain the lie please.

ballinaman

Who was playing at No.2 for Dublin? Was talking to a friend from Donegal who was at the match, and lets just said he said he had a feisty game....

Hound

Quote from: RMDrive on April 10, 2013, 04:42:52 PM

And why would using the term laceration necessarily be an exaggeration? You have accused O'Fearraigh of lying. Explain the lie please.
Here's the report:
http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/local-sport/mcbrearty-injury-annoys-officials-1-4974471

The reporter was on Newstalk saying he talked to O'Fearraigh to confirm the laceration point as well as everything else in the report, which is why he used his name as his source of the story.

Yes, O'Fearraigh told a lie/fib and thus exaggerated the story. There was no laceration. Hence you won't have seen the word used in any report since Monday. I'm sure he'd recant if asked (and perhaps already has). 

RMDrive

Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2013, 05:10:48 PM

Here's the report:
http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/local-sport/mcbrearty-injury-annoys-officials-1-4974471

The reporter was on Newstalk saying he talked to O'Fearraigh to confirm the laceration point as well as everything else in the report, which is why he used his name as his source of the story.

Yes, O'Fearraigh told a lie/fib and thus exaggerated the story. There was no laceration. Hence you won't have seen the word used in any report since Monday. I'm sure he'd recant if asked (and perhaps already has).

Thanks for the link.
If all you are hanging your coat on is the (potentially) incorrect use of the word laceration then I don't know what to say. And how has the "His injury has moved from a laceration to a graze to a bruise". Was the other terminology not used by Dublin rather than Donegal?

Why not focus on what caused the laceration / bruise / graze / etc? Or why the Donegal setup saw fit to report it to the ref at half time (when they were leading by 3 points)? Or why they saw fit to bring the Dublin doctor in to see it.

As I said above, to me this appears to be nitpicking in order to distract from the incident itself.

dublin7

Quote from: RMDrive on April 10, 2013, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 10, 2013, 05:10:48 PM

Here's the report:

Thanks for the link.
If all you are hanging your coat on is the (potentially) incorrect use of the word laceration then I don't know what to say. And how has the "His injury has moved from a laceration to a graze to a bruise". Was the other terminology not used by Dublin rather than Donegal?

Why not focus on what caused the laceration / bruise / graze / etc? Or why the Donegal setup saw fit to report it to the ref at half time (when they were leading by 3 points)? Or why they saw fit to bring the Dublin doctor in to see it.

As I said above, to me this appears to be nitpicking in order to distract from the incident itself.
I think you could at least accept Hound has a point. You asked for evidence he provided it, so you go marching down a different route on your high horse.

I can't understand why the Dublin management and/or county board were not informed of the allegation at half time or full time.

What is the Dublin doctor supposed to do/say. Can just see him standing in the middle of Donegal dressing room when he is told of this acqusation. Wouldn't want to do/say anything just get out of there.

To have Donegal reveal the allegation to the media first is a petty act which frankly brings moree attention to Dublin, Donegal & the player involved. Will only lead to bad blood & bad relations in the future.

INDIANA

I tell you what's ironic. Ulster lads playing the poor mouth when it comes to dirtbird tactics.

You pioneered most of it for the last decade!

When it comes to discussing Gallagher and the rest of what Donegal get up to- you don't want to know.

Nobody from dublin is brushing anything under the carpet.. We just want to see the evidence.

J70

I haven't been home in three years and so haven't seen the "new"  Donegal live. Never even heard of the alleged misbehaviour by Rory Gallagher till you Dublin lads brought it up in this thread!

RMDrive

Quote from: dublin7 on April 10, 2013, 06:06:15 PM

I think you could at least accept Hound has a point. You asked for evidence he provided it, so you go marching down a different route on your high horse.

I can't understand why the Dublin management and/or county board were not informed of the allegation at half time or full time.

What is the Dublin doctor supposed to do/say. Can just see him standing in the middle of Donegal dressing room when he is told of this acqusation. Wouldn't want to do/say anything just get out of there.

To have Donegal reveal the allegation to the media first is a petty act which frankly brings moree attention to Dublin, Donegal & the player involved. Will only lead to bad blood & bad relations in the future.

I haven't seen Hound's point made yet. He said that "His injury has moved from a laceration to a graze to a bruise" and I just want to understand where he is coming from.

If the only issue to discuss Aodh's use of the word laceration when it was not the right word to use ... well I'll give you that one if it makes anyone feel better.

Why would Donegal have gone to Dublin with their complaint? How exactly would that work? The correct authority to report it to is the ref and that's what was done. Don't see what the issue is there.

I agree that the Dublin doctor was probably in a difficult situation and maybe would wish that he had never gone to see the injury/scrape/ bruise/laceration/ mark or whatever it was.

Donegal didn't reveal anything to the media first. They reported it to the ref at half time. I'd look forward to a meeting between the 2 teams and I don't agree that there would be bad blood.