Armagh V Galway Sun 07/04/13 Athletic Grounds

Started by Onion Bag, April 03, 2013, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Armaghs chances of survival just got slimmer 

[b]Armagh captain Ciaran McKeever picks up one-match ban[/b]
Armagh's push to stay in Division Two has been rocked by a one-match suspension for captain Ciaran McKeever.

The Armagh skipper was reported by referee Eddie Kinsella for interfering with free-taker Brian White towards the end of the narrow defeat by Louth.

McKeever did not play due to injury but stood near White as the free was taken.

McKeever is now ruled out of Sunday's crucial Division Two league clash against Galway - which Armagh must win to avoid relegation.

Louth scored three points in injury-time to snatch a vital 1-12 to 1-10 victory over in the Athletic Grounds on March 16.

Armagh captain Ciaran McKeever is banned for Sunday's vital league game with Galway
Brian White hit a penalty wide near the end of the game but converted a difficult sideline free in the first minute of stoppage time to level the scores.

Prior to taking the kick, there was a minor scuffle along the sideline which was broken up by the Laois referee.

The sides were level nine times in the local derby but Louth finished strongly with late points from Shane Lennon and substitute Cathal Byrne after White's equaliser.

After the game Louth manager, and former Armagh All-Ireland winner, Aidan O'Rourke said: "Brian White is made of the right stuff.

"To miss the penalty and then step up and take that free - I don't think anyone else on the pitch would have kicked that point. Huge credit to him."

The result had a major bearing on league positions in Division Two.

Armagh are one point adrift of Wexford and Louth heading into Sunday's final round of games and must beat Galway to have any chance of retaining Division Two status.
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Onion Bag

A 4 week ban is a serious ban for giving verbals, i know they are trying to cut the sledging out and mc keever was wrong to be were he was at the time of the kick. but it is a bit extreme.
Martin O Rourke never shut his mouth the whole night to everyone, f**k he should get a life time ban going by that
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Orior

That is a side of McKeever's game that we could do without. I hope it teaches everyone a lesson including the kids
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Syferus

I just hope we can trust ye enough not to have to put a security detail on your team bus if ye do fall through the trap door. There's some seriously large daffodils growing outside the ground in Athleague after your last 'deposit'.

armaghniac

QuoteI just hope we can trust ye enough not to have to put a security detail on your team bus if ye do fall through the trap door. There's some seriously large daffodils growing outside the ground in Athleague after your last 'deposit'.

It would be nice to welcome you to Armagh, I really enjoyed Roscommon's last game in Cross'.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Throw ball

Quote from: AFS on April 03, 2013, 05:34:03 PM
He was acting like a bollix, so four weeks is fair enough. Well, fair enough provided that there are four week suspensions for everyone else acting like a bollix this year. Won't be holding my breath on that one.

Still think we should win this one. Even without McKeever, the team that takes the field will be at least as strong as the one that was very unlucky not to get a result away to the league's form side last weekend. I've no doubt that an effort similar to the one in Mullingar would be enough for the two points this Sunday. Just need an accompanying result from Drogheda or Wexford, won't be holding my breath on that either.

Will be interesting to see if similar suspensions are issued during the rest of the year. If warranted I hope so. If not would suggest that GAA are getting revenge on McKeever for bringing abuse into the headlines last year.

stew

Quote from: Throw ball on April 03, 2013, 09:25:51 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 03, 2013, 05:34:03 PM
He was acting like a bollix, so four weeks is fair enough. Well, fair enough provided that there are four week suspensions for everyone else acting like a bollix this year. Won't be holding my breath on that one.

Still think we should win this one. Even without McKeever, the team that takes the field will be at least as strong as the one that was very unlucky not to get a result away to the league's form side last weekend. I've no doubt that an effort similar to the one in Mullingar would be enough for the two points this Sunday. Just need an accompanying result from Drogheda or Wexford, won't be holding my breath on that either.

Will be interesting to see if similar suspensions are issued during the rest of the year. If warranted I hope so. If not would suggest that GAA are getting revenge on McKeever for bringing abuse into the headlines last year.

PG should pull a Mickey Harte and threaten to sue the GAA, it worked for Mickey!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

reddgnhand

Stew did it work for big Joe at the same time?

stew

Quote from: reddgnhand on April 04, 2013, 01:00:47 AM
Michael Harte got many's a thug off without doing time (not being able to play)

PG is not named Joe, work it out!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

Armagh should be able to beat Galway at home.
If we hadn't lost away to Louth we could be headed for D1.
But maybe D2 is better for the moment. 

reddgnhand

Quote from: stew on April 04, 2013, 07:12:21 AM
Quote from: reddgnhand on April 04, 2013, 01:00:47 AM
Michael Harte got many's a thug off without doing time (not being able to play)

PG is not named Joe, work it out!

What rules did MH break to get these thugs off? I know PG is not Joe I'm asking you was it ok for Joe to do the same as MH in 2005  over McGrane and McKeever?

naka

Vernon, Paul mc keown, lavery, moriarity ,all start
Mc evoy in nets

Mc keown , donaghy shields
AK ,Kieran toner, moriarity
Lavery Harold
Dyas, Vernon tk
Forker rafferty mc parland
Guys what is the score with andy Mallon as James Morgan seems injured.
Can see Charlie going to chb with Harold chf

GalwayBayBoy

Galway

Manus Breathnach
Johnny Duane
Finian Hanley
Colin Forde
Garreth Bradshaw
Keith Kelly
Gary Sice
Gary O'Donnell
Niall Coleman
Eoin Concannon
Paul Conroy
Conor Doherty
Sean Armstrong
Michael Meehan
Mark Hehir

Tom Healy
Gary Sweeney
Conor Costello
Anthony Griffin
Fionntán Ó Curraoin
Michael Martin
Michael Boyle
Sean Denvir
Danny Cummins
Shane Walsh
John O'Brien

seafoid

Quote from: naka on April 04, 2013, 10:49:27 PM
Vernon, Paul mc keown, lavery, moriarity ,all start
Mc evoy in nets

Mc keown , donaghy shields
AK ,Kieran toner, moriarity
Lavery Harold
Dyas, Vernon tk
Forker rafferty mc parland
Guys what is the score with andy Mallon as James Morgan seems injured.
Can see Charlie going to chb with Harold chf
Is that a poem?

Itchy

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 03, 2013, 05:06:29 PM
A 4 week ban is a serious ban for giving verbals, i know they are trying to cut the sledging out and mc keever was wrong to be were he was at the time of the kick. but it is a bit extreme.
Martin O Rourke never shut his mouth the whole night to everyone, f**k he should get a life time ban going by that

Barry Owens got 4 weeks for kicking a player full force on the  ground a few weeks ago. Surely there should be different levels of punishment?