Armagh V Galway Sun 07/04/13 Athletic Grounds

Started by Onion Bag, April 03, 2013, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

I think the decision is a disgrace for two reasons. Firstly, just ignoring that it's McKeever, the offence should have attracted a yellow card under the official rules. So how that becomes a one-game (not month) suspension? Rule 5.21 says it is an offence to - "To threaten or to use abusive or provocative
language or gestures to an opponent." For that offence the player should receive a caution.

The only other interpretation is that he "Contributed to a melee" which carry's the one-game suspensions, but surely that needs him to have physically done something not just verbals. Did McKeever lift his hands to White? I didn't see it but no-one has said he did?

However, secondly, Taking into account that it is McKeever that has been the subject. This strikes me totally of revenge by the GAA after the whole incident last year against Laois. This would not have happened to anyone else but they wanted to get him because he caused a fuss last year. I think that is disgusting.

He shouldn't have got involved and he was wrong to do so, let's be honest. Let's all agree he didn't behave in the best manner. But his punishment is beyond fair and the fact that it doesn't get given to all players who do this sort of thing indicates it is personal and vindictive.

I am no Armagh supporter (as anyone who reads these boards knows) but you have to say when something is wrong

Syferus

Saw some of those hardy Galway bucks at the U21 match yesterday, wild hair and wilder eyes. Sure, is there a mercy rule in gaelic football?

onefaircounty

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 07, 2013, 10:35:06 AM
I think the decision is a disgrace for two reasons. Firstly, just ignoring that it's McKeever, the offence should have attracted a yellow card under the official rules. So how that becomes a one-game (not month) suspension? Rule 5.21 says it is an offence to - "To threaten or to use abusive or provocative
language or gestures to an opponent." For that offence the player should receive a caution.

The only other interpretation is that he "Contributed to a melee" which carry's the one-game suspensions, but surely that needs him to have physically done something not just verbals. Did McKeever lift his hands to White? I didn't see it but no-one has said he did?

However, secondly, Taking into account that it is McKeever that has been the subject. This strikes me totally of revenge by the GAA after the whole incident last year against Laois. This would not have happened to anyone else but they wanted to get him because he caused a fuss last year. I think that is disgusting.

He shouldn't have got involved and he was wrong to do so, let's be honest. Let's all agree he didn't behave in the best manner. But his punishment is beyond fair and the fact that it doesn't get given to all players who do this sort of thing indicates it is personal and vindictive.

I am no Armagh supporter (as anyone who reads these boards knows) but you have to say when something is wrong

Fair play PaulD.

No he didn't touch White.

LCohen

Those are the rules applying to players. This was not the basis of his punishment.

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Oraisteach

Sounded like Harold and Dyas had terrific games.

Onion Bag

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 07, 2013, 04:41:43 PM
Sounded like Harold and Dyas had terrific games.

Harold was fantastic, he went off with a few mins to go with a bit of a knock to a standing ovation from the stand, I think he scored 3 from play, he got a serious amount of break ball and made serious amount of clean catches. Dyas had his best game in an Armagh jersey, he was everywhere and scored 3-4 points from play.
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

BennyCake

Dyas had a great game. The best I've seen him play in an orange jersey. Think he got 5 or 6 points. Harold was fairly good too. Luckily results went for us today. Onwards and upwards!

Armaghgeddon

So glad I put £1 on Galway to win.

Armagh seem to play when their backs are to the wall, if only they could play all their games like that. Then again, have to question Galway's intentions today knowing that they have secured Div2 status.

It has been an OK campaign, I think we were unlucky to find ourselves in such a position today. Grimley has unearthed some good players this NFL and we can only get stronger with Clarke and McKeever returning for championship.

galwayman

I'm glad I decided not to travel in the end for this. This is truly the poorest Galway senior team in years.
We can only hope we can bring through some players from the underage ranks over the next 4-5 years and build from there.

T Fearon

Good win,but Galway seemed uninterested until they got the goal late in the first half,and once again we surrendered a decent lead at half time fairly easily in the early stages of the second half.A lot of work still to be done, although the return of Mallon and Mc Keever will shore up a defence that is not confidence inspiring.Harold has been the find of this league campaign,also like the way Forker is shaping up and I thought Sean Clarke made a big impact when he came on and scored a couple of good points.Good scores from Dyas but he'll never get a marker as loose again as long as he lives.

Some line up in Division 2 next year,Donegal,Down,Meath,Armagh,Monaghan,Laois,Louth and Galway.Significantly better than this year's Division 2 in which we were extremely lucky to survive.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on April 07, 2013, 07:04:56 PM
I'm glad I decided not to travel in the end for this. This is truly the poorest Galway senior team in years.
We can only hope we can bring through some players from the underage ranks over the next 4-5 years and build from there.

In fairness I don't think they were too interested today but still not good to concede 0-21 no matter what. Don't think they will beat Mayo in May but certainly important for Mulholland that they at least deliver some class of half-decent performance. The fear must be that they will get a trimming. At least the game is at home because Galway's away performances in the league have been putrid.

naka

Quote from: BennyCake on April 07, 2013, 06:13:40 PM
Dyas had a great game. The best I've seen him play in an orange jersey. Think he got 5 or 6 points. Harold was fairly good too. Luckily results went for us today. Onwards and upwards!
Harold was fantastic today,
We seem to have unearthed a few players and for once am looking forward to may
Onwards and upwards

DuffleKing

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 03, 2013, 06:17:07 PM

I think we are missing an important distinction here. McKeever was maor uisce for the game and as such part of the Armagh support team. match day regulations apply to officials as opposed to the competition rules which players face disciplinary measures for. playing suspensions are now done in terms of numbers of matches I think - i.e. 1 game for category 2 offence, 2 games for category 3 offence, etc. Assuming that to be correct, the suspension applied to McKeever would be for breach of match day regulations as laid down for managers, maor foirne (sp), maor uisce, etc? Going by what I saw, he could have been liable for any number of breaches for that one game. I saw him on the pitch a number of times (Once for a maor uisce would be a breach?) and I imagine it was a culmination. An observer in the stand tallies things like this and there may have been a suspension coming even before the ref sent him off?

Not like you to jump in with two feet having only half or no info on a subject.
Much