NFL Division 3 2013

Started by ross4life, January 27, 2013, 07:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

The Div 4 final wasn't bad either.  Well done Limerick.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

5 Sams

Two v enjoyable games. Maith sibh TG4
The Aristocrat Years

Ard-Rí

Fantastic game to watch, all credit to both teams. Plenty of positives to take out of it. We asked Monaghan the big questions in the last minutes and they responded, can't say fairer than that. If I were being really critical I'd say Mick O'Dowd lost the game on us, but it was apparent from the start that he didn't really care about it. Full steam ahead for the championship!
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Syferus

Sweet dreams D3 2013, it's been nice knowing you, umbrellas, Royals on suicide watch, wee Cabin fellas and all.

Ros 2014. You heard it hear first.

Maguire01

Enjoyable game and a decent atmosphere considering the small crowd. I was expecting a Monaghan collapse once Meath got the scores at the start of the second half, but it was good to see them respond. The late goals kept it interesting to the end. It might only be Division 3, but we don't win much silverware and we don't win many games in Croke Park, so it's a great result for us heading into the Antrim game.

Farewell Division 3.

timmyot501

Well done monaghan today. Good win and good match. Impressed wit owen duffy throughout this league and he delivered again today. Kieran hughes has had his moments also. Great to get a cup along wit promotion.

omagh_gael

Very enjoyable game, some great goals as well. Fair play to both teams.

emmetryan

Hi lads,

Tactical analysis of Monaghan's win up here http://action81.com/blog/?p=7160

And just for good measure here's my bit on the Division 4 Final http://action81.com/blog/?p=7158

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Main Street

Quote from: emmetryan on April 28, 2013, 11:43:18 AM
Hi lads,

There's an uncharitable reference to Dessie Mone's contribution after he came on to replace Clerkin, early in the 2nd half.
"While Mone did little of note, taking out Clerkin who was proving a liability at midfield helped reduce Meath's control in that area"

While Mone little of note when shooting for a point, he repeatedly got on the end of the ball in Monaghan half and drove the team forward.
He was the outstanding substitute of the game and not just because he replaced an ailing Clerkin.
After Clerkin went off, Meath still managed to get plenty of ball around midfield and make trouble for another 10 minutes.

emmetryan

Quote from: Main Street on April 29, 2013, 11:06:04 AM
Hi lads,

There's an uncharitable reference to Dessie Mone's contribution after he came on to replace Clerkin, early in the 2nd half.
"While Mone did little of note, taking out Clerkin who was proving a liability at midfield helped reduce Meath's control in that area"

While Mone little of note when shooting for a point, he repeatedly got on the end of the ball in Monaghan half and drove the team forward.
He was the outstanding substitute of the game and not just because he replaced an ailing Clerkin.
After Clerkin went off, Meath still managed to get plenty of ball around midfield and make trouble for another 10 minutes.

I see your point, I was trying to get across that the way Mone's arrival changed the game wasn't so much in what he did right as what he didn't do wrong. Conceding frees at midfield was proving a big issue for Monaghan prior to his arrival and that essentially stopped with the switch.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Maguire01

Quote from: emmetryan on April 29, 2013, 12:00:28 PM
Hi lads,

I see your point, I was trying to get across that the way Mone's arrival changed the game wasn't so much in what he did right as what he didn't do wrong. Conceding frees at midfield was proving a big issue for Monaghan prior to his arrival and that essentially stopped with the switch.
I'm with Main Street on this one - Mone made a very positive impact when he came on. He's a nice option to have on the bench.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 29, 2013, 07:52:22 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on April 29, 2013, 12:00:28 PM
Hi lads,

I'm with Main Street on this one - Mone made a very positive impact when he came on. He's a nice option to have on the bench.

Dessie done very well when introduced on Sat with his surging runs and is technically a very good footballer. But, he has built up a reputation (righty or wrongly) of being the 'bad boy' of Monaghan football which unfortunately tends to get higher priority with the media, in my opinion.

He's a great option to have from the bench though, as stated. With himself, Doogan and Tommy to come back into the team it gives strength and experience throughout.

Jinxy

Stop Moneing about the analysis lads.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

Dessie mone is a decent ball playing half back to be fair to him but seems to revert to "the dark arts" when moved to corner back. He was up there with ricy till a few years ago but seems ok now.

Sleater

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 30, 2013, 10:03:01 PM
Dessie mone is a decent ball playing half back to be fair to him but seems to revert to "the dark arts" when moved to corner back. He was up there with ricy till a few years ago but seems ok now.

Ah Dessie hasn't totally lost the Dark arts just yet, he's already been sent of twice this year for Monaghan! And not forgetting the craic he gets up to at club level!

The Div 3 title was nice but not essential win for Monaghan. The manner of the win was important in that it showed areas clearly needed for improvement in defence and midfield. Biggest plus is the strength of the Monaghan bench which is the best squad we've had in years. Even when Banty was in charge it was usually sub Rory Woods and then bring him back on with 15 minutes to go. We've got real options now. O'Rourke has done a good job for Monaghan so far though some of his substitutions were highly quesitonable against Meath. Did Gollogly honestly do any better than Dermot Malone? Not really in my opinion. And bringing the willing but totally out of his depth Donaghy on , still bamboozles me. We've much better options on the bench e.g. Jack McCarron and Pete Dooney. Still have Freeman, Doogan, and O'Hanlon to return from injury.

Meath folks shouldn't be disheartned by the defeat, they've some fine young players there in Gillespie, Menton, Wallace, Newman and Lenihan. Those lads should be mainstays for the Meath teams for a long time.