Kevin Kilbane retires

Started by T Fearon, December 08, 2012, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

With 110 caps,as loyal and committed a player as ever wore the green jersey.

From the Bunker

From international Football? from club football?  ???

T Fearon

SHEEDY

legend. great servant for ireland.
nil satis nisi optimum

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

From the Bunker

Yep a Legend! Not in the Giles, Keane, McGrath Legend category. A Legend for his dedication to the Irish cause, he had bad times for both Club and Country, but despite this he got on with things and never complained. To play 66 games in a row for Ireland says allot about his commitment, adaptability and his ability.

His roots are from Mayo. So that seals the deal.

The Subbie

Legend is probably  putting it a bit strong but no doubt about it Zinidine was a great servant for Ireland, he reached his zenith at the world cup 2002, glaring miss from 2 yards out v spain aside, personally i thought his greatest game for Ireland was in Paris V France in 2004 in the Euro qualifier, he totally ran the show that night, putting the likes of Wilcourt,Dacourt and Pires to the sword time after time. It was a pleasure to witness even though i was as full as a bingo bus!

Best of luck to Kilbane, future management material without a doubt.

rodney trotter

A decent player, far from a Superstar look at his club career. Was a bit of a journeyman by the end of his Career.

110 caps was a great achievement though as there was lots of better players who never got to 100 Irish Caps in an Irish jersey.

magpie seanie

Wholehearted and honest lad who got every last drop out of his ability. Great servant to ROI team - number of caps is astounding to be fair. Best of luck to the lad.

imtommygunn

I think a legend too.

You've got to make the most of what you've got and he sure did. Not the greatest ability wise by any stretch of the imagination but for sheer effort you could barely match him. Did left back and left midfield in 2002 as Ian Harte was useless.

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 10, 2012, 09:51:31 AM
I think a legend too.

You've got to make the most of what you've got and he sure did. Not the greatest ability wise by any stretch of the imagination but for sheer effort you could barely match him. Did left back and left midfield in 2002 as Ian Harte was useless.

One of the worst footballers ever to pull on a republic shirt, zero pace limited ability amazing how he got so many caps.

nifan

Quote from: NAG1 on December 10, 2012, 10:15:03 AM
I think a legend too.

One of the worst footballers ever to pull on a republic shirt, zero pace limited ability amazing how he got so many caps.

Thats harsh - he was better than the other options in most of those caps, and he never shied away for playing for you.
Some people are demanding - they cant all be paul mcgraths or roy keanes.

johnneycool

I think it was Moyes who converted him to a left back from his left mid-field role which he wasn't that great at.
Made the most of his abilities and that has to be commended.

imtommygunn

Quote from: NAG1 on December 10, 2012, 10:15:03 AM
I think a legend too.

You must have missed the euros then?