Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2013, 07:17:09 PM
Best team won. No complaints.

Donegal are a brilliant side with a great manager.

Tyrone will be hard to beat in the qualifiers.

Not sure if they are a BRILLIANT side bit but they certainly have a brilliant manager. They have a handful of top class players but a lot of average ones as well moulded into a very effective functioning unit by McGuinness.

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on May 26, 2013, 07:19:23 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on May 26, 2013, 07:16:17 PM
Game I was at went so bad that I got the whole second half of this. Donegal look mean again but 1 thing is for sure, their fans have got fierce cocky alltogether.
Jeering at the oppositions free taker, singing cheerio, cheerio, cheerio to McMahon getting sent off and then breaking out into championes championes oh wey oh wey oh wey.

There's no need for it. You don't need to sink to that level Donegal, you're acting like the dirty Dubs.

I can see why they appeal to Brolly.

Not sure why the Dubs are getting abuse here. It is a while since I saw behaviour like that from Dublin supporters and we have seen a bit of them over the years.

Same, always found (most) Dublin supporters to be respectful and didn't begrudge us the victories over them from '05-'09. Sure there is a soccer element to some of the supporters on the Hill but you'll have that with any side. Found Dublin fans especially gracious in defeat
especially when it was stole from them at the death (league '09) or when we embarrassed a heavily fancied side ('08). I was damn glad to see them and their sizeable support enjoy the 2011 All-Ireland.

Didn't agree with the actions of quite a few Donegal fans today. Also there was pure needless involvement from that f**king gobshite Rory Gallagher.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: Dont Matter on May 26, 2013, 07:21:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 26, 2013, 07:19:23 PM
Game I was at went so bad that I got the whole second half of this. Donegal look mean again but 1 thing is for sure, their fans have got fierce cocky alltogether.
Jeering at the oppositions free taker, singing cheerio, cheerio, cheerio to McMahon getting sent off and then breaking out into championes championes oh wey oh wey oh wey.

There's no need for it. You don't need to sink to that level Donegal, you're acting like the dirty Dubs.

I can see why they appeal to Brolly.

Not sure why the Dubs are getting abuse here. It is a while since I saw behaviour like that from Dublin supporters and we have seen a bit of them over the years.

When's the last time you lost to them in the championship?

1985?

We see lots of their real supporters in the League though.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2013, 07:24:29 PM

Not sure if they are a BRILLIANT side bit but they certainly have a brilliant manager. They have a handful of top class players but a lot of average ones as well moulded into a very effective functioning unit by McGuinness.

Donegal going for a hat trick of Ulsters, coming in as AI champs in my mind says they're a brilliant team. Tyrone in their pomp couldn't achieve that.

screenexile

Tyrone supporters are all genuine Gaels and would never boo or do olés during matches or cause rows in the stands etc etc.

They were every bit as bad as Donegal supporters were today. Successful teams have that element and Tyrone have had their fair share of supporters doing the same over the years.

Also in the 'mouthing at the free taker' nonsense ... McMenamin and Mossy Quinn anyone?

Have nothing but admiration for Donegal and the way they go about their business. Tyrone touted as a genuine contender before the game and brushed aside with relative ease. Don't get me wrong Tyrone will be hard to beat in the qualifiers but they aren't at the level of Donegal/Dublin at full tilt.

ziggysego

That was a difficult defeat to take, but not because of any outside influences. Simply because Donegal were too good for us. Outplayed and deserved their win. They truly are the kingpins of Ulster and I can't seen them being stopped this year, in their race for the Anglo-Celt. Whether they win back-to-back All-Ireland, that's another matter. If they can keep the hungry they showed today, they'll be hard to stop.

Still think Tyrone can make it to Croke Park in August, but maybe just as far as the Quarter-Final. This team Mickey is building at the moment, I'm convinced with be climbing the steps to the Hogan Stand some September. It's just a year or two too soon for them.
Testing Accessibility

squire_in_navy_slacks

What a ridiculous statement ................................showing your prejudice against the Dubs there even though they werent even playing, get a real grip fella

Good job by Donegal today ....................... what the hell is wrong with Rory Gallagher though, he has to get involved in everything

yellowcard

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2013, 07:32:50 PM

Donegal going for a hat trick of Ulsters, coming in as AI champs in my mind says they're a brilliant team. Tyrone in their pomp couldn't achieve that.

Yeah you can't argue with their record but they are more machine like in their football. They may well go on to retain their title ( and I think they will) but they wouldn't have the same calibre of players as that Tyrone side. Lacey, McFadden and Murphy (and potentially McBrearty) are top class but the rest are hard working willing soldiers that McGuinness has got the best out of. McGuinness is the single biggest reason for the transformation of the county.

tbrick18

Quote from: bcarrier on May 26, 2013, 05:44:58 PM
Champ eee ooo nays champ eee ooo nays :(

When the downtrodden rise up they take some time to acquire a bit of class.

Tyrone being the example to prove your case.

Dont Matter

Quote from: muppet on May 26, 2013, 07:31:56 PM
1985?

We see lots of their real supporters in the League though.

Yes but not in the championship. See they're sneaky like that, when they lose they act all gracious but it's really to save themselves from a slagging. They don't mean it but when they win they'd get right into your faces, if it happens to you you'll know about it.
A nasty bunch.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 26, 2013, 07:40:36 PM

What a ridiculous statement ................................showing your prejudice against the Dubs there even though they werent even playing, get a real grip fella

I hope the Donegal fans improve their behaviour from now on, nothing worse than being compared to the filthy Dubs.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Aaron Boone

Wouldn't be so sure on Tyrone playing in quarters. Qualifiers are luck of the draw.

seafoid

Tyrone showed in the league final that they are not the finished article and it would have been surprising if they had won today. Still a long way to go for Tir Chonaill. 

Nally Stand

Disappointing result but the better team won. KL made some difference. I was shocked by the sheer lack of any class in victory from a large section of Donegal supporters at the end though. As Tyrone fans began leaving early there were scores of donegal fans, including grown men, in the stand waving car keys, singing "chiompioneees", hurling fairly scummy abuse at them and giving them the fingers. Absolutely trampish behaviour.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

tbrick18

Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2013, 07:43:21 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2013, 07:32:50 PM

Yeah you can't argue with their record but they are more machine like in their football. They may well go on to retain their title ( and I think they will) but they wouldn't have the same calibre of players as that Tyrone side. Lacey, McFadden and Murphy (and potentially McBrearty) are top class but the rest are hard working willing soldiers that McGuinness has got the best out of. McGuinness is the single biggest reason for the transformation of the county.

I think it's quite ironic that tyrone fans are coming out with this type of statement. You could make exactly the same comment about the Tyrone teams 03/05/08 and Mickey Harte. IMO, the reason behind any of the success Tyrone have had is Mickey Harte. Yes there have been a few exceptional players along the way, but the vast majority were just average as well but were well drilled and stuck to what they were told to do.
From McGuinness came into the Donegal role he set about preparing the team in much the same way Mickey Harte did with an underachieving side. It's like history repeating, only Donegal now have that sprinkling of exceptional players. Tyrone are still trying to do the same thing they have done before, but they dont have those exceptional players any more (barring O'Neill anyway). Donegal are going to be around for a while and I dont think they'll be beat in Ulster unless they have an off day. It might be hard for them to reach the same intensity they did today against any of the remaining teams as they wouldnt see them as as big a risk as Tyrone. So only hope is to catch them on the hop.
As far as the AI is concerned, Donegal are the only team about that can beat Donegal.