Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyDupree

Quote from: thejuice on May 26, 2013, 06:32:21 PM
Decent game between all the cynical shite. Teams need to take some responsibility to cut this shite out or else the GAA will have their hand forced to bring in ridiculous rules to cut it out.

But we know asking players to do anything for the good of the game is wasted breath. What you wouldn't give for a bit of honour amongst men these days.

Why should they? Despite what you may think they're not there to entertain you. They are there for their all-ireland medal. And they'll go to hell and back to get one.

Throw ball

Decent game between all the cynical shite. Teams need to take some responsibility to cut this shite out or else the GAA will have their hand forced to bring in ridiculous rules to cut it out.

But we know asking players to do anything for the good of the game is wasted breath. What you wouldn't give for a bit of honour amongst men these days.

Armagh tried to cut all the cynical stuff and play attacking football. Look we're that got us! If Kernan had have taken Mackey out then Cavan would not have got their goal and Cavan may not have won. It often pays to be cynical. Looking at that match today I am not even sure how much the black card would reduce the crap.

yellowcard

Fascinating game today, Donegal are tactically so well drilled and disciplined, they are like an army. The wall of Donegal bodies inside their own 45m line was constant every time Tyrone attacked and they just grind and pummel teams into submission which happened again today. There is no doubt that McGuinness system sucks the flair out of individual players, but you can't argue with the results he has got. I watched a disjointed Donegal in the qualifiers in 2010 get hammered by Armagh and 10 of that team started the AI final last year purely because of McGuinness strategy.

As individuals they have a lot of ordinary players but as a functioning unit where everyone knows their role they are second to none. They have Ulster wrapped up now and I really can't see anybody beating them this year.

yellowcard

Quote from: Collins on May 26, 2013, 05:50:52 PM
Tyrone are far from angels. Of course not.

But Donegal have become successful by taking what is worst in gaelic games and not only taking it to greater depths but by making it necessary to be successful in the modern era.

Namely, the blanket defence (taken from Armagh and Tyrone), the psychological warfare/slabbering disgusting things to opponents before a free or after a miss (taken from Dublin), and the brutal cynicism in everything they do, like professional fouls all over the park, the diving, the time-wasting (taken from a number of teams down the years).

As I've said before, Donegal and the rule makers are the two enemies of gaelic football. Both do everything they can to make the sport as less entertaining as possible. Compare them to Hawthorn and the AFL rule makers. Is it any wonder Aussie Rules is now twice the sport gaelic is.

McGuinness job is to extract the best out of the players at his disposal, not to play foot loose fancy football. He is very good at that. They may well do all of the things that you state but you can't argue with their effectiveness. He is undoubtedly the best manager in the business.

Orchardman

Must be tough for tyrone, 3 years on the trot getting trounced by donegal. Have jimmy and his army beaten the mighty armagh yet in a champo game??

thejuice

Quote from: RandyDupree on May 26, 2013, 06:41:43 PM

Why should they? Despite what you may think they're not there to entertain you. They are there for their all-ireland medal. And they'll go to hell and back to get one.

I know they are not there to entertain anyone, I don't mind defensive tactics and things like that, but grabbing opponents legs or lying on them after the whistle has gone to delay the game. While teams are doing it to gain an advantage, over all the game is poorer for it and it will only lead to the GAA once again having to bring in more rules to try and cut it out.

Either that or they'll be playing in empty stadiums.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

CK_Redhand

Donegal were the better team.

Tyrone played well but couldn't make the most from their periods of dominance.

I can see Donegal winning Sam again, Tyrone will make quarter, maybe semi finals.

screenexile

Quote from: Collins on May 26, 2013, 05:15:06 PM
Unfortunately the Donegal mind games have got to the Tyrone keeper. Suppose that's why they do what they do. Doesn't make it any less disgusting. Heard reports of some vile things said by Donegal players to opponents.

Goal Donegal. Will probably be the difference.

Could we say they Out-Tyroned Tyrone!

yellowcard

Quote from: thejuice on May 26, 2013, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: RandyDupree on May 26, 2013, 06:41:43 PM

I know they are not there to entertain anyone, I don't mind defensive tactics and things like that, but grabbing opponents legs or lying on them after the whistle has gone to delay the game. While teams are doing it to gain an advantage, over all the game is poorer for it and it will only lead to the GAA once again having to bring in more rules to try and cut it out.

Either that or they'll be playing in empty stadiums.

Yeah, that was really annoying alright, lost count of the amount of times they held onto either (a) opponents leg or (b) the ball after they had conceded a free kick. Once they go a few points up it seems to worsen and particularly in the latter stages of games.

Rois

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2013, 07:08:28 PM

Could we say they Out-Tyroned Tyrone!

Unfortunately Tyrone haven't been sucessful enough recently to have acquired something that other teams want to copy - think you're about three years too late with that comment.

Well done Donegal.  I've arrived home angry more than anything else, why was the tactic of playing absolutely no one between midfield and full forward adopted?  I just can't understand it.  And why put our best ball winner (Stevie) out the field if you are going to pump in high balls, albeit he did get through a good bit of work out there.

Best for me from a Tyrone persepctive were Gormely at times and Clarke.  I thought Justin was a good bit livlier than of late.  P Harte still making wild distribution to where he thinks players should be, rather than where they are. 
Donegal's number 2 made me laugh a few times today - he was mouthing off to Morgan when he came up to take a free, and he was so small that Clarke just stepped in front of him and totally blocked him out.  Then he tried getting stuck into Gormley who swatted him away like an annoying little fly. 

Dont Matter

Game I was at went so bad that I got the whole second half of this. Donegal look mean again but 1 thing is for sure, their fans have got fierce cocky alltogether.
Jeering at the oppositions free taker, singing cheerio, cheerio, cheerio to McMahon getting sent off and then breaking out into championes championes oh wey oh wey oh wey.
There's no need for it. You don't need to sink to that level Donegal, you're acting like the dirty Dubs.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

orangeman

Best team won. No complaints.

Donegal are a brilliant side with a great manager.

Tyrone will be hard to beat in the qualifiers.

thejuice

Just so you know Im not pointing the finger at any team in particular, I wouldn't dare suggest my county are innocent by any means.

Anyway well done Donegal, great team going forward and I think that was the difference. When the chips were down and Tyrone needed big scores to win it they had isolated forwards trying to win high balls on their own among a crowd of defenders. Where as Donegal were excellent moving forward.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: Dont Matter on May 26, 2013, 07:16:17 PM
Game I was at went so bad that I got the whole second half of this. Donegal look mean again but 1 thing is for sure, their fans have got fierce cocky alltogether.
Jeering at the oppositions free taker, singing cheerio, cheerio, cheerio to McMahon getting sent off and then breaking out into championes championes oh wey oh wey oh wey.

There's no need for it. You don't need to sink to that level Donegal, you're acting like the dirty Dubs.

I can see why they appeal to Brolly.

Not sure why the Dubs are getting abuse here. It is a while since I saw behaviour like that from Dublin supporters and we have seen a bit of them over the years.
MWWSI 2017

Dont Matter

Quote from: muppet on May 26, 2013, 07:19:23 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on May 26, 2013, 07:16:17 PM

I can see why they appeal to Brolly.

Not sure why the Dubs are getting abuse here. It is a while since I saw behaviour like that from Dublin supporters and we have seen a bit of them over the years.

When's the last time you lost to them in the championship?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn