Na Cait v Gaillimh, AIF 9 Sept

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on September 09, 2012, 05:10:45 PM
Tannian was immense.

MotM for me seafoid, I agree. I've been seriously impressed with the way he has reinvented himself as a midfielder this year.

Delighted for big Joe that he got the equaliser, he's a lovely lad and always has time for the kids on the pitch after the games, so it's nice to see the good guys come through.

Henry Shefflin was unreal, as was Brian Hogan in that second half.

PS, I think Anthony Cunningham showed Tipp how to negate Tommy Walsh for a lot of that game. Move his man in corner forward, Tommy hates it in there. He came on well in the second half but for a long time he was decidely uneasy.

Rav67

Was there some reason the replay couldn't have been next weekend?

mylestheslasher

Enjoyed that game today, thought the draw was a fair result but surely shefflin should have went for goal with the peno, very un-kilkenny that decision. Thought the free for the equaliser was a bit soft too but fair play to canning, was a tough free even without the pressure.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rav67 on September 09, 2012, 06:11:15 PM
Was there some reason the replay couldn't have been next weekend?
Ticket distribution needs more than a week and the camogie final is on next Sunday

Minder

Exciting game, lung busting stuff from he players. Don't think too many saw that performance from Tannian coming, totally overshadowed Michael Fennelly. Fair play to him he has got into excellent shape, before this year he wasn't conditioned well enough to succeed at inter county level. He has great skill levels. No reason why Galway can't beat them in the replay, the lazy analysis will be that Galway have "missed the boat" but that's twice ow they have played KK in finals this year and they havent been beaten yet. Galways greater youth may just stand to them in the replay.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

The experience of playing in an all Ireland final has to stand to Galway the next day.
A nerve wracking tense game in the second half but not as "great" as the panellists told us.
Then again hurling is always great with them lads while their football counterparts are always looking for the negatives.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

All the pundits this morning were sayng this Kilkenny team always avenges a defeat.
It was a sign of the character of the Galway lads that they refused to give in once the cats took the lead. 

Johnny Coen has to get an all star.

laoislad

Quote from: Rossfan on September 09, 2012, 06:38:01 PM
The experience of playing in an all Ireland final has to stand to Galway the next day.
A nerve wracking tense game in the second half but not as "great" as the panellists told us.
Then again hurling is always great with them lads while their football counterparts are always looking for the negatives.

Not a great game as you say but in terms of excitement I thought it was excellent.

I think Shefflin messed up not going for goal.
Henry Shefflin of a few years ago wouldn't have even considered taking a point.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

The cats of the 4 in a row  vintage would have gone out of sight after taking the lead. With 20 minutes left i thought it might end up like the 06 final but fair play to galway for forcing the draw.   

anglocelt39

Wouldn't consider myself a huge hurling man but had my eye out for Tannion from 10 minutes in, the stick he took and kept coming back, awesome performance on that basis alone. KK boys have huge miles on the clock when was the last time one county outplayed them in championship twice in the one year I think Gway  will take a bit from today. Also club championship is a huge deal in KK so this could cause a bit of distraction over the next few weeks
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

thewobbler

Wouldn't be hurling man and I got a bit annoyed today that only two men in the field seem to be able to shoot accurately (as well as my usual bugbear of men in space hitting aimless long balls to men not in space).

That said, I was impressed with Galway. Kilkenny are obviously a seasoned bunch, as strong as oxen, and blatantly cynical. But Galway weren't in awe. Thought their no.2 and no.12 were superb, along with that Iarla boy.

Some of the the tackling on both sides was immense, technically superb. But it's still a bit odd to me that in a game in which the ball is moved so quickly to attack, that attackers can get swallowed up so quickly by multiple defenders. It's hard to see from TV if this is done to sweepers, fitness levels, or both. But the whole 'pump it in long' didn't do either side any favours. There was hardly a free or a score from the D inwards.

Orior

A joy to watch this game and a great advert for Ireland.

Hard hitting and great skill.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

Didn't enjoy today as much as any of the Tipp finals as I think both team were very sloppy at times. Probably the right result in the end but think Kilkenny will feel luckier to have got out of jail. Galway ruled midfield - Tannian hurled for the full 70 for the first time and Fennelly didn't show up. Hogan competing against Tannian in the air looked ridiculous at times.

Brian Hogan had a phenomenal second half (even though he got taken for 1-2) and the Galway forwards really tuned out. The weaknesses on KK's bench really showed - thought Buckley might have been chanced after playing so well against Tipp in the semi. Changes were needed at midfield and Cody surprisingly didn't make any. Thought TJ might have been brought out given how he's stepped up this year and toughened up.

The KK forwards, a few cameos aside, were very, very poor. I haven't seen Richie Power play so badly in a long, long time.

In saying all of this, can't wait for the replay. KK will need to up it by several gears to have a chance again. Gone is any sense that Galway's final was in Leinster - they're here to stay.

Minder

"@AlanShearerMOTD: Just watching the All Ireland Hurling Final it's crazy! Sort of like a cross between Hockey and Second Degree Murder! #Galway to win" 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2012, 10:29:00 PM
"@AlanShearerMOTD: Just watching the All Ireland Hurling Final it's crazy! Sort of like a cross between Hockey and Second Degree Murder! #Galway to win"
Shearer isn't on Twitter.