Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eviemonkey

Cork will name their team later with three positions up for grabs:  Carey, whether he is fit to start or not?; and two forward spots, realistically two from Goold, Sheehan, Murphy and Goulding. Would be surprised/disappointed if Kelly doesn't start.

The Cork team that finished the Kildare game was better than the one that started but not sure such a policy would be wise against Donegal.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: eviemonkey on August 23, 2012, 06:37:47 PM
Cork will name their team later with three positions up for grabs:  Carey, whether he is fit to start or not?; and two forward spots, realistically two from Goold, Sheehan, Murphy and Goulding. Would be surprised/disappointed if Kelly doesn't start.

The Cork team that finished the Kildare game was better than the one that started but not sure such a policy would be wise against Donegal.
He's not forward more of midfielder Goold or Goulding should be starting instead of him.

eviemonkey

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 23, 2012, 06:55:57 PM
He's not forward more of midfielder Goold or Goulding should be starting instead of him.

Agreed, he has offered very little in the full-forward line thus far to be honest. It is not that he has been wasteful but he is just not seeing enough of the ball. Ironically this is the one game where his inclusion actually makes some sense but I would still start Goulding. Goulding is too good of a player to hold in reserve in a game where every point will be crucial. Sheehan could be the one used as an impact sub.

Syferus

Thought Big Nic was absolutely huge for Cork off the bench in 2010. His midfield dominance turned around multiple games that year.

I's go as far as to say Aidan Walsh would never have won the Young Player of the Year if Murphy didn't open up so much space and take attention off him in second halves. Seems a waste starting him at 14. If he has a full game in him there's little reason not to be starting him in the middle and if he doesn't then use him as in 2010.

CorkMan

The Cork Senior Football team to play Donegal in Sunday's All-Ireland Semi-Final at 3.30pm in Croke Park will line out as follows:

1. Alan Quirke
               Valley Rovers

2. Ray Carey          3. Michael Shields       4. Eoin Cadogan
Clyda Rovers          St. Finbarrs          Douglas

5. Paudie Kissane       6. Graham Canty       7. Noel O Leary
Clyda Rovers          Bantry Blues          Cill na Martra

8. Alan O'Connor    9. Aidan Walsh
         St. Colum's       Kanturk
10. Fintan Goold       11. Patrick Kelly       12. Paul Kerrigan
Macroom             Ballincollig          Nemo Rangers

13. Colm O Neill       14. Donncha O'Connor    15. Nicholas Murphy
Ballyclough          Ballydesmond          Carrigaline

screenexile

Quote from: harlechman on August 22, 2012, 11:58:14 PM
Quote from: goal 10 on August 21, 2012, 06:59:13 PM
Quote from: goal 10 on August 20, 2012, 10:06:49 PM
Going to toronto this week for a wedding,
would love to see the game on TV anyone know where one would get to see it.   [ thank you]

Don't have laptop or ustream, anyone know a pub showing the game in the toronto area.  [ thank you again ]

Galway Arms on The Queensway will be showing it

That's the place to watch it alright... Be warned though there's a right few Corkonians about and you'll have to listen to Mick Kinsella talking a load of nonsense throughout the game!

imtommygunn

It doesn't make any sense to play Murphy as a conventional corner forward. He's not a scoring threat and the only sensible thing would be either a) third midfielder or b) full forward as a target man. I don't understand why they pick him there. He's a midfielder.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2012, 02:27:02 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on August 23, 2012, 01:44:32 PM
Hi guys, I've put together a tactical preview of this one here for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=6151

Good stuff - I thought a certain type of ref might clamp down on Donegal's tactic of forwards fouling the backs to slow down the play (a la Dublin/Kerry) but Coldrick reffed them this year in the Ulster semi and turned a blind eye to it.

All depends what rules Coldrick chooses (whether consciously or otherwise) to forget this time out.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

eviemonkey

I think the logic behind starting Murphy at full-forward would be to vary the attacking build-up, mix the running game with short and longer deliveries. Then introduce Goulding early in the second half as the game opens up, well as open as it will get against Donegal.

The problem up until now for me is Murphy hasn't really been contributing enough in general play and his inclusion is dislodging Donncha O'Connor away from full-forward where he can be at his most effective.

Sheehan, Pearse O'Neill and Goulding is some firepower to bring off the bench but by not starting with your best team you do run the risk of having to claw back a deficit which will be easier said than done on Sunday.

Still wouldn't surprise me if there was one change announced before the throw-in.

Declan

Think Cork might just shade it but should be a fascinating contest

Feckitt

Is parking in Clonliffe College a thing of the past?

donegal lad

Quote from: Feckitt on August 24, 2012, 09:42:02 AM
Is parking in Clonliffe College a thing of the past?
Can still park in there entry at the entrance across from quinns bar and it cost €10 will be full of Donegal 1s on Sunday only downside is the wait to get out after the game

Feckitt

Thanks lad, years ago we used to go in from the main entrance on the clonliffe road near the top of Jones' Road.  I'd say the queue to get in and out would be savage all right.  Especially as it will only be Cork ones leaving early.

Declan

Lads remember the tall ships show is on as well so lots of roads around city closed off. Cork folks park at Red Cow Luas and Donegal lads park at M3 parkway and get the train to Drumcondra. Less hassle.
Of course that's only if you don't want to sup few  ;)

Rois

Price on my tickets:
€40 or £38  :o

That's some exchange rate!