Armagh team for the Championship

Started by eriugaMS, March 18, 2012, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Wouldn't matter if Armagh lost every game this year, those reptiles still won't get anything easy when they come to the MAGs.

I think it's important to play as mobile a team as possible which could rule out some players (F Mo, BJP, J Lav). Was impressed with Brian Mallon's workrate last day out v Down and if he keeps that up I'd start him in the forwards.

What is the story with injuries does anyone know? Grugan and McVerry, how long they out for? Anyone else potentially unavailable that might be considered for this game?

PatDaly

1.  P McEvoy
2.  A Mallon
3.  B Donaghy
4.  J Morgan
5.  A Kernan
6.  C McKeever
7.  F Moriarty
8.  D McKenna or J Lavery
9.  C Vernon or J Hanratty
10.  A Forker
11.  M Mackin
12.  S Kernan
13.  C Rafferty or M Stevenson
14.  B Mallon
15.  J Clarke

naka

hearty
mallon, donaghy, morgan
ak, cmck another
vernon, hanratty
brian  mallon    stephen kernan, anto duffy
rafferty, mal mackin jamie calrke

mal and mallon to inter change
forker to come on as well as stevenson, cunningham and gavin mc parland
i worry that we don`t have a strong final contender for wing half back
can see mc kenna and duffy fighting out for last position but overall the future is bright
tyrone to beat us but armagh to make the quarters and clarke to be back on panel hopefully come july( great to see him back)

mountainboii

Some things:

Paul Hearty will start in goals. McEvoy has had a solid league, but I don't think he has really done anything that would push Hearty out of the road.

If James Morgan doesn't get game time this Sunday, then I don't see him starting the Tyrone game. As good and all as he's looked for Cross at times, it would be very risky to throw a twenty year old into such a high tempo, high pressure match with practically no intercounty experience outside of minor football. The Tyrone forward line is another world from anything Morgan will have encountered at club level. Declan McKenna is a more than adequate alternative, who has put in significant time at CB in the last 12 months.

Charlie Vernon is a cert to start at midfield. Any teams proposed without him included aren't really worth looking at.

Brian Mallon is surely nailed on at CHF. He has had a fine league, while alternative for this position haven't really prospered for a number of reasons.

I don't think Stephen Kernan will be involved. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I've noticed that none of the Irish News journos name check him when listing the Cross players to come back into the panel. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I suspect that they've had some sort of indication that he will not be considered.

Tony Kernan will be ahead of Aaron Cunningham if your talking about Cross men in the HF line. Kernan has looked a much better player than Cunningham in Cross' run in this year. I actually reckon he might be Aidan Forker's main challenger for the #10 shirt.

I don't see Stevenson starting, or making much of an impact this year. There's no doubting that he's a very capable free taker, but he hasn't shown enough from general play in his couple of opportunities to convince me that he's up to the level. I'd have four or five other lads in the corner positions ahead of him.

I'd like our nosey neighbour Paul to explain why he thinks O'Rourke 'seems to really fancy' BJ Padden. In this league campaign Padden has two substitute appearances and two starts from which he has been removed either at HT or very shortly afterwards. That doesn't sound like the resume of a managerial favourite to me. He will not start against Tyrone.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AFS on April 03, 2012, 11:15:01 PM
If James Morgan doesn't get game time this Sunday, then I don't see him starting the Tyrone game. As good and all as he's looked for Cross at times, it would be very risky to throw a twenty year old into such a high tempo, high pressure match with practically no intercounty experience outside of minor football. The Tyrone forward line is another world from anything Morgan will have encountered at club level. Declan McKenna is a more than adequate alternative, who has put in significant time at CB in the last 12 months.

Has McKenna marked anyone close to the quality of these 2?

Just asking like?  Apart from that you're probably right but I personally have some doubts about Vernon,

regal

Quote from: armaghranger12 on April 03, 2012, 01:05:01 PM
Quote from: regal on April 03, 2012, 09:52:10 AM
Does anybody know if:

- McDonnell is coming back to the panel?
- Toner is coming back for this years championship?
- Has Ronan Clarke played any football for the Ogs this year?

Due to Crossmaglen, injuries and absentees it is very difficult to predict what Armagh's team for the championship will be. Presuming Toner & McDonnell aren't back, I think the shoe ins will be:

1 -
2 - AMallon
3 - Donaghy
4 -
5 - AKernan
6 - McKeever
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 - AForker
11 -
12 - ADuffy
13 - JClarke
14 -
15 - CRafferty

Other positions to fill:

1 - No obvious first choice
4 & 7 - Choose between Morgan / McKenna / Dyas / Duffy. I think Morgan should be a shoe in
8 & 9 - A big problem area. How many midfielders have we used in the league (Mackin / Lavery / Vernon / Padden / Kingham / Carragher that I can remember) plus Cross pair. I would imagine we will see a pairing from Mackin / Lavery / Vernon or Hanratty)
11 & 14 - Mackin is an option. Others to consider would be BMallon / McParland / Cunningham / Grugan

Is Hearty not a shoe in for goals? Was Makin not Armagh's best player last season and the start of this season surly he's a"shoe in"

Yes, Mackin is a 'shoe in', but i'm just not sure what position

mountainboii

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 03, 2012, 11:22:59 PM

Just asking like?  Apart from that you're probably right but I personally have some doubts about Vernon,

Has James Morgan ever faced a forward line with the strength of Dublin's, Kerry's or Tyrone's? Look, like you and everyone else in the county, I hope and expect that Morgan will file into the Armagh FB line in the not too distant future. My only concern is that the step up from club level to face a Tyrone forward line that is very close to the top of the intercounty game is perhaps asking a bit too much, too soon. Yes, Morgan has done well against a few star forwards when playing with Cross, but that's when part of a Cross side, and a Cross back line, that are usually a class above and dominating their opposition. With Armagh he'd be placed into a team and back line that will not enjoy anywhere close to the same superiority or dominance. So in my opinion, it is not as certain as many seem to believe that he would be able to put in the same level of performance given the differing circumstances.

Throw ball

A number of points.

I think there is more chance of McDonnell playing against Tyrone than Stephen Kernan - although I would like to see both involved.

The chances of Morgan coming straight in against Tyrone are less than 50/50 in my opinion. I think he could force his way on to the team as the year goes on however.

Armagh's most pressing problem is midfield. The players that play there may be the best available and not players playing in there best position, if that makes sense.

On the panels of players available I do not believe there is a great deal to separate Armagh and Tyrone ability wise. Playing at home is an advantage to Armagh but Tyrone have more experienced winners and the most astute manager around. Add to that they have been building a team for 6 months while Armagh will be trying to mould a team in about 6 weeks. It is Tyrone's to lose.

If the match was in two weeks I think the team would be - although probably not the one I would pick:

Hearty
Mallon Donaghy McKenna
Kernan McKeever Duffy
Vernon Mackin
T Kernan Mallon Duffy
Rafferty McDonnell Clarke

If McDonnell is not there I think O'Rourke will get the nod or Mackin will go to full forward and Hanratty to midfield.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AFS on April 04, 2012, 12:06:17 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 03, 2012, 11:22:59 PM

Has James Morgan ever faced a forward line with the strength of Dublin's, Kerry's or Tyrone's? Look, like you and everyone else in the county, I hope and expect that Morgan will file into the Armagh FB line in the not too distant future. My only concern is that the step up from club level to face a Tyrone forward line that is very close to the top of the intercounty game is perhaps asking a bit too much, too soon. Yes, Morgan has done well against a few star forwards when playing with Cross, but that's when part of a Cross side, and a Cross back line, that are usually a class above and dominating their opposition. With Armagh he'd be placed into a team and back line that will not enjoy anywhere close to the same superiority or dominance. So in my opinion, it is not as certain as many seem to believe that he would be able to put in the same level of performance given the differing circumstances.

Maybe so but I would say that he would fit in nicely should he want to go.  I would reckon that McKenna is better suited out at no 7 than in the corner and given the fact that no one that I have seen has put a genuine stamp on that position I reckon you could slot him nicely in there with Morgan in the corner.  A back six of Mallon, Donaghy, Morgan, AK, McKeever and McKenna has got a great mix of strenght, speed and experience and I reckon would be more than capable to hold their own.

DuffleKing

Reckoning and thinking is all well and good for us bc but county management can't be expected to pick an armagh team on that basis. I very much like the look of morgan but everyone else got their opportunity witrh the county on the basis of how they've done for their club but whether they can make the step up is never guaranteed.

I'd throw morgan straight in sunday to see where he's at, otherwise there'll be no way to gauge the fringe cross fellas unless we can get to a league semi final. It'd be great to have a semi and possible final to reintegrate the cross lads.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 04, 2012, 09:45:02 AM

Reckoning and thinking is all well and good for us bc but county management can't be expected to pick an armagh team on that basis. I very much like the look of morgan but everyone else got their opportunity witrh the county on the basis of how they've done for their club but whether they can make the step up is never guaranteed.

I'd throw morgan straight in sunday to see where he's at, otherwise there'll be no way to gauge the fringe cross fellas unless we can get to a league semi final. It'd be great to have a semi and possible final to reintegrate the cross lads.

Paul Duffy, Moriarty and Dyas all have had the chance to cement their places at 7 and none have been convincing, McKenna has done well when he has played in the HB line. I don't see the big risk of throwing a "rookie" of the quality of James Morgan in to a pretty experienced back line.

DuffleKing

I'm in agreement with you but morgan has to demonstrate that he is better than the lads you mention. This county has been handing senior jerseys to players too easily for too long based on underage and club performances

mackers

I would have Morgan at corner back and Decky McKenna at WB. McKenna has proved himself worthy of a place in the starting 15 with an excellent league campaign. I would have a nagging doubt about his lack of pace at CB. As BC1 has said the other options have had poor campaigns esp P Duffy and Finn Mo. I'm still holding out hope that Dyas will come good but keeping him in and dropping Decky would be unfair.

I'd agree with the Vernon and Hanratty MF partnership. Up to this year I would have put Hanratty down as a spoiler who was good at stopping other players from playing and not much else but his kick passing in Cross's campaign was first class.

It would be a HF line of Forker, MackIn and Mallon for me. Mallon is another man who I have had my doubts about before this year but he has been excellent in the league. Anto Duffy is a good option to spring from the bench.

FF line of Rafferty McParland and Clarke as I don't think Stevie will be back....hope I'm wrong.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Orchardman

Not to insult the lad, i've only seen him a few times but surely we have 6 better players in to put in defence than decky mckenna

andy mallon, brendy donaghy, c mckeever, a kernan would be the 4 certs i suppose, not sure about the rest but finn mo and duffy would leave it a fairly experienced defence

regal

Quote from: Orchardman on April 04, 2012, 11:35:19 AM
Not to insult the lad, i've only seen him a few times but surely we have 6 better players in to put in defence than decky mckenna

andy mallon, brendy donaghy, c mckeever, a kernan would be the 4 certs i suppose, not sure about the rest but finn mo and duffy would leave it a fairly experienced defence

Experienced yes, but it would be the exact same defense (I think) that looked a shambles against Derry last year in Ulster. A bit of youth & fight would help.