Armagh team for the Championship

Started by eriugaMS, March 18, 2012, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Both are extremely talented players who are both short of the work rate needed to succeed at county level in my view. We, and most counties, have a lot of similar players.

BerfArmagh

Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2012, 07:58:10 PM
A Forker perhaps? Also Brian Mallon has shown good form this year, better than he ever has, like Mackin I think he has made his case. It will be interesting to see if S. Kernan gets the call.

Aye A.Forker

Armaghgael

If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Onion Bag

I would like to see something like
1 P Hearty
2 A Mallon
3 B Donaghy
4 J Morgan
5 A Kernan
6 C Mc Keever
7 P Duffy/F Moriarity
8 C Vernon
9 J Hanratty
10 A Forker
11 S Kernan
12 A Duffy
13 J Clarke
14 M Mackin
15 E Mc Verry/G Mc Parland
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Armaghgael

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 02, 2012, 10:03:47 PM
I would like to see something like
1 P Hearty
2 A Mallon
3 B Donaghy
4 J Morgan
5 A Kernan
6 C Mc Keever
7 P Duffy/F Moriarity
8 C Vernon
9 J Hanratty
10 A Forker
11 S Kernan
12 A Duffy
13 J Clarke
14 M Mackin
15 E Mc Verry/G Mc Parland

No Rafferty?
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Onion Bag

I think he would be a great option to spring from the bench or the other option is, having mackin in midfield, drop hanratty, and that leaves space for him inside
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

regal

Does anybody know if:

- McDonnell is coming back to the panel?
- Toner is coming back for this years championship?
- Has Ronan Clarke played any football for the Ogs this year?

Due to Crossmaglen, injuries and absentees it is very difficult to predict what Armagh's team for the championship will be. Presuming Toner & McDonnell aren't back, I think the shoe ins will be:

1 -
2 - AMallon
3 - Donaghy
4 -
5 - AKernan
6 - McKeever
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 - AForker
11 -
12 - ADuffy
13 - JClarke
14 -
15 - CRafferty

Other positions to fill:

1 - No obvious first choice
4 & 7 - Choose between Morgan / McKenna / Dyas / Duffy. I think Morgan should be a shoe in
8 & 9 - A big problem area. How many midfielders have we used in the league (Mackin / Lavery / Vernon / Padden / Kingham / Carragher that I can remember) plus Cross pair. I would imagine we will see a pairing from Mackin / Lavery / Vernon or Hanratty)
11 & 14 - Mackin is an option. Others to consider would be BMallon / McParland / Cunningham / Grugan

armaghranger12

Quote from: regal on April 03, 2012, 09:52:10 AM
Does anybody know if:

- McDonnell is coming back to the panel?
- Toner is coming back for this years championship?
- Has Ronan Clarke played any football for the Ogs this year?

Due to Crossmaglen, injuries and absentees it is very difficult to predict what Armagh's team for the championship will be. Presuming Toner & McDonnell aren't back, I think the shoe ins will be:

1 -
2 - AMallon
3 - Donaghy
4 -
5 - AKernan
6 - McKeever
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 - AForker
11 -
12 - ADuffy
13 - JClarke
14 -
15 - CRafferty

Other positions to fill:

4 & 7 - Choose between Morgan / McKenna / Dyas / Duffy. I think Morgan should be a shoe in
8 & 9 - A big problem area. How many midfielders have we used in the league (Mackin / Lavery / Vernon / Padden / Kingham / Carragher that I can remember) plus Cross pair. I would imagine we will see a pairing from Mackin / Lavery / Vernon or Hanratty)
11 & 14 - Mackin is an option. Others to consider would be BMallon / McParland / Cunningham / Grugan

Is Hearty not a shoe in for goals? Was Makin not Armagh's best player last season and the start of this season surly he's a"shoe in"

yellowcard

Quote from: regal on April 03, 2012, 09:52:10 AM
Does anybody know if:

- McDonnell is coming back to the panel? From what I gather, no he won't
- Toner is coming back for this years championship? Can't be sure on this one but I've heard second hand that he won't
- Has Ronan Clarke played any football for the Ogs this year? Came on a sub for Ogs on Sunday

1 -
2 - AMallon
3 - Donaghy
4 -
5 - AKernan
6 - McKeever
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 - AForker
11 -
12 - ADuffy
13 - JClarke
14 -
15 - CRafferty

Other positions to fill:

Not sure about Duffy being a shoe in, would agree with the rest. Also ad  Vernon at midfield and Mackin to that list.

armagho9

My team for what its worth would be something like:

1.  Hearty
2.  Mallon
3.  Donaghey
4.  Morgan
5.  Kernan
6.  McKeever
7.  McKenna
8.  Vernon
9.  Hanratty
10. Forker
11.  Mackin
12.  A. Duffy
13.  Rafferty
14.  McDonnell
15.  Clarke.

Those pushing for places, Finnian Mo  Paul Duffy in defence, James Lavery and hopefully David McKenna for midfield. Tony Kernan, hopefully Stephen Kernan and Cunningham,Brian Mallon, McVerry, McParland, Grugan and O'Rourke.

For the first time in a long time we have genuine competition for the forward positions with probably 10 or 11 very capable forwards in the panel.  Since around 08 we have had about 3 or 4 good forwards who were more or less certain starters and even played half backs in forward positions to make up the numbers.  Feeling optimistic for the summer, dont think we will win anything but i think we will see good progress

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: armagho9 on April 03, 2012, 04:35:17 PM

1.  Hearty
2.  Mallon
3.  Donaghey
4.  Morgan
5.  Kernan
6.  McKeever
7.  McKenna
8.  Vernon
9.  Hanratty
10. Forker
11.  Mackin
12.  A. Duffy
13.  Rafferty
14.  McDonnell
15.  Clarke.

Those pushing for places, Finnian Mo  Paul Duffy in defence, James Lavery and hopefully David McKenna for midfield. Tony Kernan, hopefully Stephen Kernan and Cunningham,Brian Mallon, McVerry, McParland, Grugan and O'Rourke.

For the first time in a long time we have genuine competition for the forward positions with probably 10 or 11 very capable forwards in the panel.  Since around 08 we have had about 3 or 4 good forwards who were more or less certain starters and even played half backs in forward positions to make up the numbers.  Feeling optimistic for the summer, dont think we will win anything but i think we will see good progress

Id fancy Tyrone to beat that Armagh side named there all day long. only leveller would be that the game is in Armagh. Jamie Clarke about the only player i would fear and after last years performance against us he just didnt wanna know when he wasnt in the cross jersey and dont know where there scores are going to come from
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

armagho9

I would fancy Tyrone to beat us as well to be honest, just think thats about as good as we can put out with the absence of ronan Clarke and Toner.  I think we will be better than we were last year against Tyrone.  Cant say i can agree with you about Jamie Clarke, Man of match against Down and Wicklow, was not in a Cross shirt for either game.  he had a poor day against Tyrone but it was nothing to do with lack of desire in playing for Armagh and more to do with the shite ball being played into him all day.

PAULD123

I notice that all the teams posters have listed are the teams they would like to see. But I would be interested to know what team think POR will actually pick. In particular No one above has chosen BJ Padden, but POR seems to really fancy him. So choosing an Armagh side that will be the most likely starting 15 surely has to account for there being a better than fair chance of him starting. Similarly it is less likely than more likely that McDonnell will not start. So what to people think the team will actually be?

yellowcard

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on April 03, 2012, 04:49:58 PM
Quote from: armagho9 on April 03, 2012, 04:35:17 PM

1.  Hearty
2.  Mallon
3.  Donaghey
4.  Morgan
5.  Kernan
6.  McKeever
7.  McKenna
8.  Vernon
9.  Hanratty
10. Forker
11.  Mackin
12.  A. Duffy
13.  Rafferty
14.  McDonnell
15.  Clarke.

Id fancy Tyrone to beat that Armagh side named there all day long. only leveller would be that the game is in Armagh. Jamie Clarke about the only player i would fear and after last years performance against us he just didnt wanna know when he wasnt in the cross jersey and dont know where there scores are going to come from

Think Tyrone are being hyped up way too much and would fancy Armagh to beat them in the Athletic Grounds. Will suit Armagh down to the ground going into this game as underdogs. We are division 1 and they are division 2 so I can't understand the hype with Tyrone considering they are in transition.

McDonnell will not be back for Armagh but I would start S Kernan at no.11, best passer of the ball in the county and would keep Harte pre-occupied. Would also like to see Swift back involved.

armagho9

Well they are division 1 next year and we could well be division 2 if things dont go our way on sunday.  We were in division 1 last year and they were 2 last year and we seen what happened.  We could beat them but Tyrone will start favourites and rightly so.

cant see Padden starting