More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Just to add a bit of light hearted humour to the subject, we had a suspension overturned on appeal as the referee put down in his report that our player struck with a hurl.  Considering it was a football match, one would think the suspension would have been longer than a month  :D.  For the record the our player was unjustly sent off and the opposition even wrote a letter to say so.  However the technicality was the only chance of justice.  Anyone else no any other cases of ridiculous technicalities?

muppet

Quote from: HiMucker on February 03, 2012, 10:36:40 AM
Just to add a bit of light hearted humour to the subject, we had a suspension overturned on appeal as the referee put down in his report that our player struck with a hurl.  Considering it was a football match, one would think the suspension would have been longer than a month  :D.  For the record the our player was unjustly sent off and the opposition even wrote a letter to say so.  However the technicality was the only chance of justice.  Anyone else no any other cases of ridiculous technicalities?

Jebus, the GAA has serious issues.
MWWSI 2017

HiMucker

Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2012, 10:52:58 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 03, 2012, 10:36:40 AM

Jebus, the GAA has serious issues.
I have never seen a referees report but I can only assume he ticked the wrong box.

Agent Orange

The Derrytresk supporter who hit Kerry and Dromid Pearses star Declan O'Sullivan with a handbag during last month's controversial All-Ireland club JFC semi-final has been banned from attending games for a year.

The CCCC has proposed a 48-week ban for the woman who attacked O'Sullivan after the ill-tempered clash, which was marred by a massive brawl. The GAA's disciplinary body is also expected to take action against a number of other supporters who became involved in the disgraceful scenes at O'Moore Park a fortnight ago.

Eight Derrytresk players, including Kevin Campbell, Sean Slater, Michael Robinson and Joe McKee who started the game, will have their appeals against eight-week suspensions heard by the Central Hearings Committee tomorrow night in a bid to be cleared to play in next Sunday's All-Ireland final against Naomh Padraig of Galway.

ballymac

The Derrytresk supporter who hit Kerry and Dromid Pearses star Declan O'Sullivan with a handbag during last month's controversial All-Ireland club JFC semi-final has been banned from attending games for a year.

Who is she and how will she identified by stewards? How effective is this ban? I bet she is there with a bigger handbag at the final.

DuffleKing

tbrick18

Quote from: ballymac on February 06, 2012, 01:20:56 PM

Who is she and how will she identified by stewards? How effective is this ban? I bet she is there with a bigger handbag at the final.

I always wondered about that too. How is a ban like this enforced?

Onion Bag

All she has to do is buy a different handbag :D :D
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

HiMucker

Apparently she is considering taking legal action against Dromid for slander after they released this statement .

"Their supporters had no class.  One women had the audacity to strike Declan O Sullivan with a fake Gucci hand bag.  We know it was fake as we got Paul Galvin to analyse the footage"

Jinxy

As a show of solidarity, all the Derrytresk fans will be carrying handbags in Croke Park.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Puckoon

From the hoganstand website

Dromid unable to pay fine

The Dromid Pearses GAA club has stated that they are unable to pay a fine imposed on them.

The monies owed is a result of the investigation launched after a mass braw involving the Kerry club and Tyrone outfit Derrytresk in the All-Ireland club JFC semi final at Portlaoise.

Derrytresk were handed a €5,000 fine and had eight players suspended, while Dromid were handed a €2,000 and four of their players were suspended.

However, Dromid chairman Michael Sheehan told the Irish Independent that in the current economic climate, raising such money was not easy.

"Every club in the country knows how hard fundraising is in the current economic climate," said Dromid Pearses chairman Michael Sheehan.

"For a small club like ours to be hit with such a big fine, that is going to be extremely hard for us," he said. "We will leave it up to the players involved to decide whether they want to appeal their suspensions, so we need to talk to them first and see what they want to do," he added.

bigtogs

Cant pay there fine!!!!!!!They need a new manager as well as micheal anthony o'connell never going back to another match, as derrytresk did not get threw out.... feckin voilin time...... dry your bulbs ffs!!!!!!!!!! sick a listen too them yapping at this stage.....

brokencrossbar1

It raises the interesting point though, what happens if a club refuses to pay the fine?  There is no enforceablity I would imagine but would the GAA ban a club for non payment of a fine?

agorm

Tommy Gorman did a report from Derrytresk this morning on Morning Ireland. I thought that it was a very one sided interview in which Derrytresk got an airing to say how shocked they were at the suspensions and how badly they had been treated. No mention of any remorse at the thuggery that they played their part in. All we got was a lament about how retired players were now back on the panel. Perhaps if the club had better standards of discipline and behaviour this wouldnt be the case.

The chairman of the club said that they had expected a few subs to be suspended - I forget the exact phrase he used. He didnt seem to think any of the on-field players should have been suspended. Tommy didnt point out any of the issues such as how he could justify ANY of the subs that jumped the fence not getting a suspension. Tommy was up in their grounds and didnt want to rock the boat and gave an easy interview. Is that what we are paying Tommy  €250k per annum for?

It was laughable listening to the chairman saying how some of their club members were crying when the ruling came down from Croke Park. I am sure some of the players that were on the receiving end of some additional "treatment" before the game are feeling sorry for them after that interview.

FERDIE

I am all for fair play and sportmanship in all sports. With all the talk about thuggery in the GAA recently I am surprised that there has been no mention of the Ciaran Mckeever act during the Cork game. [a serious coward in my book] and also the Kildare goalkeeper hitting Peter harte in the head with his knee when he had absolutely no need to do so.