More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 02, 2012, 02:38:53 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on February 02, 2012, 01:56:19 PM
For those who reckon that these fines and bans were too much for the clubs involved, what would they suggest?

i actually think they got off lightly, gaa is now all over you tube in the wrong light, the whole world is watching it, so anything that will attempt to deter people can only be a good thing.

Who released the video into the public domain? Shouldnt they get some sort of ban for bringing the game into disrepute? The reason why this story has become such a media junket is because of the ill grace of the team that lost the game.

In fairness it was all over the papers the Monday morning after the game and all over Joe Duffy later that afternoon. Both long before Dromid said anything.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Lone Shark on February 02, 2012, 02:47:51 PM

Who released the video into the public domain? Shouldnt they get some sort of ban for bringing the game into disrepute? The reason why this story has become such a media junket is because of the ill grace of the team that lost the game. There are many examples of worse behaviour than what happened that day which have led to less or no suspensions and until the GAA has a consistent approach to these incidents they will continue to happen. Slapping a few suspensions willy nilly on a small club on the cusp of an all ireland final is not going to deter anyone in the future. Good luck to Derrytresk in the final - hope they can pull it off against all the odds!

Take a minute and think how ridiculous that sounds. That showing footage from a game is "bringing the game into disrepute". Blame the whistleblowers, in other words.

Anyway, how is the GAA supposed to have a consistent approach if they don't start somewhere? If they stick to their guns here, it'll be a lot easier to make the next one stick, whereas constantly going lightly on teams means the cycle will never be broken.

And whatever else, there is no way any suspensions here were "willy nilly". Everyone involved in the CCCC knew before they started here that no matter what they did, it would be appealed. They're not going to suspend someone without evidence - whether that evidence is the referee's report, video footage we haven't seen, or whatever.

Of course i know its ridiculous - but it was in direct response to the the equally ridiculous point that this is somehow made worse and suspensions were light because it was "all over Youtube"

And i will wait and see if this is now the consistent repsone from the GAA.
That was never a square ball!!

NAG1

Dromid let themselves down really badly throughout the whole affair.

everymanaman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 02, 2012, 02:48:35 PM
For those who reckon that these fines and bans were too much for the clubs involved, what would they suggest?

i actually think they got off lightly, gaa is now all over you tube in the wrong light, the whole world is watching it, so anything that will attempt to deter people can only be a good thing.

Who released the video into the public domain? Shouldnt they get some sort of ban for bringing the game into disrepute? The reason why this story has become such a media junket is because of the ill grace of the team that lost the game.

In fairness it was all over the papers the Monday morning after the game and all over Joe Duffy later that afternoon. Both long before Dromid said anything.
In all fairness Dromid were weeping and wailing straight after the game as well as the day and days after it

Lone Shark

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 02, 2012, 02:53:04 PM
And i will wait and see if this is now the consistent repsone from the GAA.

I'd like to think that in situations where there is clear and illuminating evidence, and not an omerta of silence from those involved and a complete lack of eye witnesses, it will be.

AZOffaly

Quote from: NAG1 on February 02, 2012, 02:53:30 PM
Dromid let themselves down really badly throughout the whole affair.

I said before some Dromid people will not be too proud of their contributions afterwards, but the ones who let themselves down badly were not Dromid, it was the Derrytresk Subs and Supporters who came onto a football field when they had absolutely no right to be there at the time, especially when you consider the purpose of their 'incursion'.

cornafean

Eh?? The Indo report on the Monday morning following the game read like a Kerry local paper report. Not one mention of any Derrytresk player, despite the fact that they won the game well.

QuoteDerrytresk (Tyrone) 1-10 Dromid Pearses (Kerry) 0-7

VIOLENT scenes marred yesterday's clash between Derrytresk and Dromid Pearses as the Ulster men progressed to the All-Ireland final.

A mass brawl just before the interval, which saw a number of officials and substitutes from both sides enter the field of play at Portlaoise, left Dromid midfielder Thomas Curran concussed and unable to come out for the second half.

At that stage, the Tyrone side led by the minimum (0-4 to 0-3) but they underlined their dominance in the second half with the impressive Niall Gavin helping himself to five points in that period.

The Kerrymen finished with 13 men and there were more unsavoury scenes at the final whistle when county star Declan O'Sullivan was struck with a handbag and then by a Derrytresk supporter as he left the field. Dromid selector and county board officer Diarmuid O Se afterwards called for an investigation.

"While Derrytresk beat us comprehensively on the day, I thought that some of the scenes out there were some of the most disgraceful I have ever witnessed at a football game," he said. "I cannot understand how the GAA can allow this to happen. There was no security there today for our players.

"Declan O'Sullivan got struck by a handbag and was struck by a Derrytresk supporter as well. That was seen by a steward and the gardai have it documented but I don't think Declan will be doing anything about it.

"The GAA have video evidence available and maybe it's time to use it."

SCORERS -- Derrytresk: N Gavin 0-6 (4f), J McKee 1-1, M Rea 0-2 (1f), C O'Neill 0-1; Dromid: T Curran, Declan O'Sullivan (1f) 0-2 each, M Sheehan, C O'Connor, N O'Shea 0-1 each.

DERRYTRESK -- A Quinn; S Slater, K Campbell, C Corr; E Rea, C O'Neill, J Dillon; C Gavin, R O'Neill; M Robinson, J McKee, C O'Neill; N Gavin, K Quinn, M Rea. Subs: P Kilpatrick for Gavin (56), G Devlin for Dillon (56).

DROMID -- A Hogan; P O'Sullivan, Dominic O'Sullivan, Donal O'Sullivan; Denis Shine O'Sullivan, K O'Shea, M Sheehan; C O'Connor, T Curran; A O'Sullivan, Declan O'Sullivan, A O'Connor; E O'Leary, N O'Shea, G O'Sullivan. Subs: M O'Shea for Curran (30), C Hallisey for G O'Sullivan (36), C Farley for E O'Leary (42).

REF -- F Flynn (Leitrim)

Irish Independent
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

AZOffaly

Quote from: cornafean on February 02, 2012, 03:28:12 PM
Eh?? The Indo report on the Monday morning following the game read like a Kerry local paper report. Not one mention of any Derrytresk player, despite the fact that they won the game well.

QuoteDerrytresk (Tyrone) 1-10 Dromid Pearses (Kerry) 0-7

VIOLENT scenes marred yesterday's clash between Derrytresk and Dromid Pearses as the Ulster men progressed to the All-Ireland final.

A mass brawl just before the interval, which saw a number of officials and substitutes from both sides enter the field of play at Portlaoise, left Dromid midfielder Thomas Curran concussed and unable to come out for the second half.

At that stage, the Tyrone side led by the minimum (0-4 to 0-3) but they underlined their dominance in the second half with the impressive Niall Gavin helping himself to five points in that period.

The Kerrymen finished with 13 men and there were more unsavoury scenes at the final whistle when county star Declan O'Sullivan was struck with a handbag and then by a Derrytresk supporter as he left the field. Dromid selector and county board officer Diarmuid O Se afterwards called for an investigation.

"While Derrytresk beat us comprehensively on the day, I thought that some of the scenes out there were some of the most disgraceful I have ever witnessed at a football game," he said. "I cannot understand how the GAA can allow this to happen. There was no security there today for our players.

"Declan O'Sullivan got struck by a handbag and was struck by a Derrytresk supporter as well. That was seen by a steward and the gardai have it documented but I don't think Declan will be doing anything about it.

"The GAA have video evidence available and maybe it's time to use it."

SCORERS -- Derrytresk: N Gavin 0-6 (4f), J McKee 1-1, M Rea 0-2 (1f), C O'Neill 0-1; Dromid: T Curran, Declan O'Sullivan (1f) 0-2 each, M Sheehan, C O'Connor, N O'Shea 0-1 each.

DERRYTRESK -- A Quinn; S Slater, K Campbell, C Corr; E Rea, C O'Neill, J Dillon; C Gavin, R O'Neill; M Robinson, J McKee, C O'Neill; N Gavin, K Quinn, M Rea. Subs: P Kilpatrick for Gavin (56), G Devlin for Dillon (56).

DROMID -- A Hogan; P O'Sullivan, Dominic O'Sullivan, Donal O'Sullivan; Denis Shine O'Sullivan, K O'Shea, M Sheehan; C O'Connor, T Curran; A O'Sullivan, Declan O'Sullivan, A O'Connor; E O'Leary, N O'Shea, G O'Sullivan. Subs: M O'Shea for Curran (30), C Hallisey for G O'Sullivan (36), C Farley for E O'Leary (42).

REF -- F Flynn (Leitrim)

Irish Independent

Derrytresk player mentioned here....

Obviously the main thrust was going to be about the scenes, and they even got the bit in bold wrong, because Dromid led at the time of the row, I'm sure.

Lone Shark

Quote from: cornafean on February 02, 2012, 03:28:12 PM

The Indo is a national newspaper, they reported the newsworthy element.

Two weeks later, and the thread discussing the ruckus at the match is 45 pages long. There is no mention on this board that I can see of Clonbur vs Ballivor, Milltown Castlemaine vs Craigbane, Davitts vs Eire Óg, or any of the four junior and intermediate hurling semis that went on that weekend. What does that tell you about what was newsworthy - the result, or the row?

Maybe it shouldn't be the case, but an All Ireland JFC semi is really only of interest to real anoraks or those with connections to one of the clubs involved.

Onion Bag

Who released the video into the public domain? Shouldnt they get some sort of ban for bringing the game into disrepute? The reason why this story has become such a media junket is because of the ill grace of the team that lost the game. There are many examples of worse behaviour than what happened that day which have led to less or no suspensions and until the GAA has a consistent approach to these incidents they will continue to happen. Slapping a few suspensions willy nilly on a small club on the cusp of an all ireland final is not going to deter anyone in the future. Good luck to Derrytresk in the final - hope they can pull it off against all the odds!

Benny, what do you think would be appropriate punishment?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

eddie d

:D some statement

BennyHarp

Onion bag - I think that if going by the video evidence there is no way 4 starting players from Derrytresk should have been suspended and I certainly don't think that just because it was shown on YouTube that the suspensions should be any lengthier like you suggested earlier. However, I think that the subs identified can be banned for as long as the rules allow.

Eddie D - I was making that point to show the ridiculousness of an earlier post - keep up!
That was never a square ball!!

Lecale2

Complaints rolling in again after Derrytresk players and supporters take a mid week break in Egypt.

eddie d

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 02, 2012, 04:58:05 PM
Onion bag - I think that if going by the video evidence there is no way 4 starting players from Derrytresk should have been suspended and I certainly don't think that just because it was shown on YouTube that the suspensions should be any lengthier like you suggested earlier. However, I think that the subs identified can be banned for as long as the rules allow.

Eddie D - I was making that point to show the ridiculousness of an earlier post - keep up!

yeah i know, what was so ridicloious about the other post tho?

Onion Bag

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 02, 2012, 04:58:05 PM

Some here on the board have watched this 100's of times, i have watched it a couple of times, from what i see all the subs that entered the playing area should have been banned, as for the 4 starting players i cant say but they werent banned for saying their prayers.
As for the spectators, i would publicly name and shame and ban them for all grounds
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!