More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man of Kent

Might not be that relevant, but if that happen in Association Football there would be fines, bans, points deductions etc. handed down to all concerned. What are the likely punishments?

thewobbler

Indiana, this isn't a Tyrone problem, it's a GAA problem.

There is a culture within our sports that things like punching men off the ball, and kicking men on the ground is tolerable, and even acceptable, if it's one of your teammates doing it. GAA clubs have for years closed ranks and guarded their members who commit such acts. As mentioned already, I'm a fan of rough, hard football, and skirmishes are part and parcel of this. Being a yellow judas bastard isn't part of this in my mind, and 15 subs entering a field are yellow judas bastards.

Whishtup

Wind yer neck in-a donkey can see that how the subs behaved was wrong-and only a donkey would re-iterate this fact, this late on in this thread.  My point is that a lot of you seem to be very keen to jump on your high moral horse, while overlooking the instigation of the incident. 
Again, I ask why the fact that two Dromid players crossed the white line to attack an official is being ignored?
Rugby referees generally inconsistent?  Is that right?

If a big deal is going to be made of this (which is ridiculous) then you have to look at what turned a minor skirmish into something bigger.  For me, it is the striking out of the Dromid players against officials.

INDIANA

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 09:32:08 PM
Wind yer neck in-a donkey can see that how the subs behaved was wrong-and only a donkey would re-iterate this fact, this late on in this thread.  My point is that a lot of you seem to be very keen to jump on your high moral horse, while overlooking the instigation of the incident. 
Again, I ask why the fact that two Dromid players crossed the white line to attack an official is being ignored?
Rugby referees generally inconsistent?  Is that right?

If a big deal is going to be made of this (which is ridiculous) then you have to look at what turned a minor skirmish into something bigger.  For me, it is the striking out of the Dromid players against officials.

Its typical of the siege mentality thats exists in tyrone. Do you accept that it is unacceptable for officials and supporters to encroach the field of play.

Hint: Its a yes or no answer.

Whishtup

EC Unique

Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2012, 09:19:00 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2012, 08:57:21 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 08:22:13 PM
What constitutes having a go?  Talking, running towards?  Fronting up?  He definitely wasn't swinging his arms.  Do you agree?

Fronting up in tyrone club football terms means pistols at dawn. Squaring up probably means punching the chops off each other.

Tyrone club football would want to take a long good hard look at itself and what it tolerates.

Too many incidents at this stage.

That's totally irrelevant.  My point is that this incident was started and enflamed by Dromid players before it became a free-for-all.  I'd like to see the reaction to Pat Gilroy getting belted by two Kildare players.  Wouldn't be nice either-they'd be eating through the wire to get at them.

The real rot of the GAA is poor officialdom from the refereeing, linesmen and stewards.  That's where we differ from rugby.  Don't give me that clap-trap about Northern/Tyrone football, either-boring and obnoxious.

Tyrone has an internal problem that has largely become an epidemic within the county and its refusal really to deal with it.

And the real problem is your lack of understanding that officials and supporters have no business entering the field of play in any capacity.

I love the way Tyrone play football at county level but their club scene has a real problem. And its their refusal to deal with it really that is the most damning.

Have you been at many club games in Tyrone?

INDIANA

Quote from: EC Unique on January 23, 2012, 09:41:00 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2012, 09:19:00 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2012, 08:57:21 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 08:22:13 PM
What constitutes having a go?  Talking, running towards?  Fronting up?  He definitely wasn't swinging his arms.  Do you agree?

Fronting up in tyrone club football terms means pistols at dawn. Squaring up probably means punching the chops off each other.

Tyrone club football would want to take a long good hard look at itself and what it tolerates.

Too many incidents at this stage.

That's totally irrelevant.  My point is that this incident was started and enflamed by Dromid players before it became a free-for-all.  I'd like to see the reaction to Pat Gilroy getting belted by two Kildare players.  Wouldn't be nice either-they'd be eating through the wire to get at them.

The real rot of the GAA is poor officialdom from the refereeing, linesmen and stewards.  That's where we differ from rugby.  Don't give me that clap-trap about Northern/Tyrone football, either-boring and obnoxious.

Tyrone has an internal problem that has largely become an epidemic within the county and its refusal really to deal with it.

And the real problem is your lack of understanding that officials and supporters have no business entering the field of play in any capacity.

I love the way Tyrone play football at county level but their club scene has a real problem. And its their refusal to deal with it really that is the most damning.

Have you been at many club games in Tyrone?

I've seen several club championship games up there. And the atmosphere is unique between some of the clubs up there.

Dublin has its own problems like under the counter payments to managers and players but we dont have an epidemic of incidents involving pitched battles on a regular basis.

The Association has shied away form on the field brawls and its far bigger problem then a coach earniing a few quid on the side. Duffy and Cooney need to get their house in order.

sammymaguire

Indiana. Are the Tyrone lads the only ones at fault?
Yes / No

Did the Kerry lads start it by scuffling with the Tyrone management?
Yes / No

Was the whole minute regrettable by all concerned?
Yes / No

No-one likes to see this kind of behaviour on a football field and there needs to be punishment handed out to both teams to make it clear this kind of crap can't be tolerated by the GAA
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 09:32:08 PM

Looks like the Dromid player was off the pitch holding the ball looking to take a sideline after the Derrytresk player was shouldered out over the sideline. The Derrytresk official with the clipboard piled into him from behind so he turned around and swung at him. Doesn't excuse a swinging fist but the Derrytresk offical had no business aggresively getting involved with one of the opposition players. After that all the subs and officials piled in over the hoardings.

BennyHarp

I've only seen the clip, it doesn't make good viewing and it leaves me thinking at what stage the GAA are actually going to take some steps to stamp this shit out of our games. It doesn't matter who started it or whose to blame. I love good hard hitting football but officials, supporters and subs should, under no circumstances, be encroaching onto the field of play and making any contact with players. We need to protect those actually playing and long suspensions should be given EVERY time an incident like this happens. Some day we'll all be commenting on this board about someone getting seriously injured, but sure that's probably all part of the craic and as long as we didn't start it.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 23, 2012, 09:47:48 PM
I've only seen the clip, it doesn't make good viewing and it leaves me thinking at what stage the GAA are actually going to take some steps to stamp this shit out of our games. It doesn't matter who started it or whose to blame. I love good hard hitting football but officials, supporters and subs should, under no circumstances, be encroaching onto the field of play and making any contact with players. We need to protect those actually playing and long suspensions should be given EVERY time an incident like this happens. Some day we'll all be commenting on this board about someone getting seriously injured, but sure that's probably all part of the craic and as long as we didn't start it.

Disgraceful scenes. Derrytresk should be thrown out of the competition. Thats the only way we are going to get situations like this from happening. A small fine simply doesnt have any effect.

crossfire

The actions of the Tyrone subs is totally unacceptable. However, on listening to Joe Duffy Show and reading some of the posts here, you would think that Dromid were completely blameless. The first punches were thrown by numbers 4 and 5 from Dromid.  Let's look at both sides.

LeoMc

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 08:30:57 PM
If that's the case, then the same should prevail for players who step out over the white line to assault officials, which in itself is an extemely inflammatory offence, the consequences of which cannot be predicted.  That's why, if I were from Dromid Pearse's, I wouldn't be rushing to the disciplinary bodies.

There was a lack of discipline from both the Dromid players and the Derrytresk subs. I did not see what started it between the Derrytresk official and the Dromad player but both were well out of order. However the subs and supporters coming over the hoardings are completely out of line and could well be responsible for Derrytresk getting penalties their performances to date do not deserve.

Mont

both teams were equally to blame however when the subs jumped the hoardings everythiing changed.
handbags between players happen all the time but when someone enters outside of the 30 men then it is a recipe for disaster.

some day some man will get a slap and be seriously injured or even worse............will the gaa take action then?

when is an example going to be made?

no doubt whatever punishment is given (if any) to both sides it will be appealed with the full support of their club - same way as counties back their teams

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Mont on January 23, 2012, 10:18:55 PM
both teams were equally to blame however when the subs jumped the hoardings everythiing changed.
handbags between players happen all the time but when someone enters outside of the 30 men then it is a recipe for disaster.

some day some man will get a slap and be seriously injured or even worse............will the gaa take action then?

when is an example going to be made?

no doubt whatever punishment is given (if any) to both sides it will be appealed with the full support of their club - same way as counties back their teams

People have suffered serious injuries on the pitch on numerous occasions previously with little discernable change.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead