3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 25, 2011, 12:12:44 PM
On the morning after Sean Gallagher is exposed as a liar, the knives are out for McGuinness on GAA board. It's fantastic because it goes to show, deep down, you know McG won the debate by a loooooong way, and ye are having a hissy fit. Liihb, you keep referring to Pat's big moment of talking about the twitter account. The twitter account he spoke of was unofficial and Pat told us something untrue as a result, (ie that SF would be bringing this man forward to the media), if that impresses you so much, I'm astounded!!

I don't know if you're including me in that, but I'm not having a hissy fit about anything.
McG caused the big story of the debate, he may have dealt a fatal blow to Gallagher's chances, but he still didn't win the debate. 
I don't think he'll benefit to any great extent from last night.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

bcarrier

Gallagher is the ultimate stroke man and politician of convenience .

I have no idea what he actually believes in.

BTW " entrepreneur" is something other people call you.

Anyone who calls themselves an "entrepreneur" is an utter tool ( IMO obviously).

Sea The Stars

Quote from: sheamy on October 25, 2011, 12:18:55 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 25, 2011, 12:14:26 PM
Are you going to answer the question the above poster asked or not?

where's the question? I only see a statement of opinion surrounding membership of Fianna Fail verses membership of the IRA (I'll ignore the fact that most of the founders of Fianna Fail came from IRA ranks). If you want another opinion in the interests of discussion, here's one.

Our parents took to the streets in peaceful protest to try and get a vote and something bordering on equality. They were beaten off them by the RUC. The British Army then killed 14 people on another peaceful protest. We had Bombay Street with hundreds of people burnt out of their homes. People like Martin McGuinness stood up and was counted unlike the useless words above. You don't have to like it. Frankly, I don't give a shit.

Collins, deValera, Lemass...the whole lot of them. They couldn't achieve what McGuinness and his colleagues have acheived in bringing peace with all shades of unionism and loyalism within a framework of equality. Now he's exposing corruption the like of which destroyed the country. If you don't like that behaviour, you're entitled to that opinion. However, I would call exposing these things as in the interest of the public. If people still want to vote for Gallagher, then so be it. That's democracy.

I'm sorry for the pain your parents had to endure but fact remains, McGuinness and his colleagues went way beyond seeking peace with some of their activities many years ago. Yes the peace agreement was achieved but it was only after the IRA had shot and blown the place to bits. It's not exactly over yet either as there still appears to be many of McGuinness former assiociates intent on killing innocent people as a means to getting a 32 county republic. 

The question was: Why is it not OK to be part of a political establishment that messed this country up, but it is OK to be part of an organization that terrorised and killed innocents?

Hardy

Quote from: bcarrier on October 25, 2011, 12:27:23 PM
Gallagher is the ultimate stroke man and politician of convenience .

I have no idea what he actually believes in.

BTW " entrepreneur" is something other people call you.

Anyone who calls themselves an "entrepreneur" is an utter tool ( IMO obviously).

He gets around that by calling himself an entreprenAIR.

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on October 23, 2011, 11:50:28 AM
Gallagher 1/3 favourite with the bookies.

I'd lay those odds.

I should have been on Betfair all weekend !!!!!! Damn it.  >:( >:( >:(

Hereiam

Gallagher is no president of Ireland and anyone who thinks he is suitable needs to get their heads checked. As i said before Higgins will be elected but I fear he will not do much good for Ireland when abroad. At this moment in time Ireland would need someone that would but the fear of god into anyone who would dare speak out against him. Just to show the world we have a set of balls.... :)

orangeman

This is a real shocker :  ;)

Independent Presidential candidate Seán Gallagher has accused Sinn Féin of organising and orchestrating a campaign designed to take him out of the Presidential campaign.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio, Mr Gallagher said Sinn Féin had put together a "dirty tricks" campaign.

He told Pat Kenny that the dirty tricks campaign from Sinn Féin followed his call last week for people who have information on the killers of Garda Jerry McCabe to make it known to authorities.

He said when he topped the polls last week he was made aware that Sinn Féin, in particular in border areas, would put him under what he called "amazing attacks".

Mr Gallagher said last night's Frontline debate had been an "ambush" and a "hatchet job" organised by Sinn Féin, adding it was "an approach they are well used to".

Commenting on the accusation that he received a cheque on behalf of Fianna Fáil from a donor in Co Louth, Mr Gallagher said he had told the truth about the issue and did not remember what happened.

He said: "I told the absolute truth."    ;D

Mr Gallagher said he stood over everything he had done in business as being impeccable and with complete honesty.

sheamy

Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 25, 2011, 12:27:57 PM
The question was: Why is it not OK to be part of a political establishment that messed this country up, but it is OK to be part of an organization that terrorised and killed innocents?

Am not sure there is a direct factual answer to that one. There's only differing opinions. I gave mine in the last few posts. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...one man's collector of 5k cheques for an organisation who lost the country it's economic sovereignty condemning generations to the economic wilderness is another man's  ..........?

You see that could go on and on...at least we've done 200 pages now!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Failures and the Shinners are at each others throats, go on lads finish each other off.  ;D

(By the way I am with the Labour man for this one)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hereiam on October 25, 2011, 12:34:16 PM
Gallagher is no president of Ireland and anyone who thinks he is suitable needs to get their heads checked. As i said before Higgins will be elected but I fear he will not do much good for Ireland when abroad. At this moment in time Ireland would need someone that would put the fear of god into anyone who would dare speak out against him. Just to show the world we have a set of balls.... :)

How old is Paul O'Connell?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bingo

Quote from: sheamy on October 25, 2011, 12:39:10 PM

Am not sure there is a direct factual answer to that one. There's only differing opinions. I gave mine in the last few posts. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...one man's collector of 5k cheques for an organisation who lost the country it's economic sovereignty condemning generations to the economic wilderness is another man's   ..........?

You see that could go on and on...at least we've done 200 pages now!

FFS  ::)

Main Street

Maybe Michael D has a chance if all the others mutually destroy each other, but if there is one candidate left standing to oppose Michael D, I'd suspect he would still poll his 25%.
His inability to increase his popularity is his failure and I can't say he did enough to change that.

I'm not surprised by McGuinness' stable 13-15%, nor his inability to increase his vote, part of that is probably due him stonewalling questions about his Republican past  and the inability of the electorate to appreciate that he can't talk about it.
And his asset, his crucial role in the GFA and since,  does not resonate with the electorate.
Would I vote for Trimble on the basis of his positive role in the GFA? or Bertie?

I have never understood the appeal of Gallagher, never mind his recent surge of support. Quite frankly i'd prefer Gay Mitchell to him, i.e. if somebody put a gun to my head.
Gay is what he appears to be, a traditional reactionary, an ultra conservative christian democrat, whose hands don't appear to be greasy.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: liihb on October 25, 2011, 11:59:11 AM
The double standards here continue to amaze. Its not OK to be part of a political establishment that messed this country up, but it is OK to be part of an organization that terrorised and killed innocents. Seriously lads, have a look at yourselves.
are you talking about the ruc /security forces here?

you can hardly mean sinn fein as it was the IRA & INLA that were involved in shooting and fighting etc.

lynchbhoy

I'm sorry for the pain your parents had to endure but fact remains, McGuinness and his colleagues went way beyond seeking peace with some of their activities many years ago. Yes the peace agreement was achieved but it was only after the IRA had shot and blown the place to bits. It's not exactly over yet either as there still appears to be many of McGuinness former assiociates intent on killing innocent people as a means to getting a 32 county republic. 

who would that be now ?
the IRA never targetted 'innocents' - though disasterously some were killed in attacks.
By coming out with your kind of clap trap you are intentionally missing the reality that was the fight back against the apartheid-esque state. (  :) )

I personally dont care if gallagher was or is in ff.
McGuinness has admitted/apologised etc for his past - and has recently been accused of crazy stuff like knowing who killed who in the north as well as in the south !

I suppose people are still unhappy that ff's legacy is still around and why they rail against gallagher and ff types.
imo fg and labour are just as bad  - with a few notable exceptions.

its too soon for mcguinness to get elected as president. I possibly wont vote at all as none of the candidates are what we need as a preseident. If michael d, norris or mitchell get it - we will be once again a laughing stock.
I suspect michael d will win.

highorlow

QuoteClarification on 2008 fundraiser

1. The fundraising dinner was held on 1 July 2008, in the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Dundalk, Co. Louth.

2. One of those who attended was Mr Hugh Morgan of Morgan Fuels Ireland Ltd.

3. The records show that Morgan Fuels Ireland Ltd made a donation of €5,000 to Fianna Fáil. This was by way of cheque dated 26th June 2008.

4. On 30th June 2008, this donation was acknowledged by letter from our then Financial Controller. An official Fianna Fáil receipt was included with this letter;

5. Our Bank has this morning confirmed that this cheque was lodged to our account on 30 June 2008.

FF just issued a statement on the 5 grand.

Looks like it was Marty McGun that got his facts wrong last night. This is going to serve to strengthen SG's support.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go