Champions league Semi-Finals

Started by new devil, April 13, 2011, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Quote from: gallsman on May 03, 2011, 11:12:41 PM
http://www.marca.com/2011/05/03/futbol/liga_campeones/1304455666.html

For any Spanish speakers (readers) - Marca being objective???

Essentailly says Barca were too good, they were no conspiracies, nothing to do with refs, UEFA or children's charities.

Digs thrown very obviously at Mourinho - saying his players "died on their feet" while he sat in his hotel.

The Copa del Rey might not save him.
Mournho's star has definitely fallen over the past week or so. Despite all his success the man is lacking in class. You would imagine United would not tolerate his style of football and have ruled him out of the running to succeed Fergie.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: gallsman on May 03, 2011, 11:01:56 PM
Barcelona are categorically the only team in the world who have divers.

They are also the only team in the world who hound referees.

They put up with that sort of thing in the Premiership. It's for real men.

No one is saying that. The point is they shouldn't have to dive as they are one of, if not the greatest team ever. For example Busquets will be remembered by most for his diving and play acting, when he should be remembered for his ability on the pitch.

gallsman

Quote from: Mike Tyson on May 03, 2011, 11:37:48 PM

No one is saying that. The point is they shouldn't have to dive as they are one of, if not the greatest team ever. For example Busquets will be remembered by most for his diving and play acting, when he should be remembered for his ability on the pitch.

The point is that particular posters on here who have allegiances to a particular Premier League club would have you believe their team is full of good, honest, hard working English lads who would never dream of such antics.

ross4life

Tonights game was improvement in terms of diving, pretending to be injured & moaning to officials, thought ref showed alot of common sense. Without doubt over the two the legs the best team made the final.

That was like five El Classico games we have seen this season..but how many of them were actually classic games?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: Orangemac on May 03, 2011, 11:36:29 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 03, 2011, 11:12:41 PM
http://www.marca.com/2011/05/03/futbol/liga_campeones/1304455666.html

For any Spanish speakers (readers) - Marca being objective???

Essentailly says Barca were too good, they were no conspiracies, nothing to do with refs, UEFA or children's charities.

Digs thrown very obviously at Mourinho - saying his players "died on their feet" while he sat in his hotel.

The Copa del Rey might not save him.
Mournho's star has definitely fallen over the past week or so. Despite all his success the man is lacking in class. You would imagine United would not tolerate his style of football and have ruled him out of the running to succeed Fergie.

The ridiculous wage demands is another reason why he won't be manager at Man United, only Man City or Chelsea could afford him in the PL.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

As for the disallowed goal - I thought it should have stood on first viewing. Then I considered the fact that I don't actually know the rules.

As I see it:

a) Ronaldo was fouled (and made the most of it) and the referee played the advantage.

b) That foul that created the advantage caused Ronaldo to knock into Mascherano (who clearly made the most of it) removing Barca's only chance of attempting a shot on goal.

Now, does anyone actually know the rule? An accidental foul is still a foul. The advantage rule isn't like rugby where the first team sinned against gets the ball.

David McKeown

I havent refereed in about 5 years but through discussions with referees in the league I'm involved in and the IFA my understanding of the advantage as it supposed to be interpreted is, once advantage is given that is it.  If for example advantage is signalled and you immediately fall over then the play shouldnt be brought back for the foul.  The advantage is supposed to be judged as the team that is fouled having an immediate advantage over what the free would give them, therefore advantage should very rarely be played in the box. Also the approach of allowing a few seconds to see if an advantage acrues is also technically bad refereeing.

Of course thats not always implemented for the 'good of the game' and to allow the game flow.  As a result you could probably argue all ways on the Real goal for it standing (immediate advantage of ball going through) and for it being a Barca free kick (subsequent tangle of legs with Mascherano) and of course I think you could argue for a Real free kick but that shouldnt been given if an immediate advantage was played.

That line of reasoning is obviously a problem though because say the situation had been the other way round and your team have the ball in their own box about launch an attack (against my team thats very out of position) and I push you as you lay the ball back to your keeper and you as a result knock over my team mate as hes going to try and tackle your keeper, is that a penalty?  My interpretation of the rule had I been refereeing would have been the goal should have stood, Mascherano was only fouled because of the foul on Ronaldo by Pique, Barca shouldnt have benefited from this but because of the current rule they did.

All that said we recently sent a rules query to the IFA regarding an interesting incident involving penalty in an under 10's shootout and we were refereed onto the English FA because the IFA didnt know the answer so that could be completely wrong.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Mentalman

Quote from: ross4life on May 03, 2011, 11:42:48 PM
That was like five El Classico games we have seen this season..but how many of them were actually classic games?

None? The first one was the only where both teams tried to play open football, and Real took a tonking. The last 4 matches have been wars of attrition. Last night Real hit the Barca players just as hard as they had last week but the reaction of the players seemed to be be more muted, getting up almost immediately (with a few notable execptions e.g. Mascherano), but balloons like Adebayor and Marcelo could still have been off the park, I thought the ref did his best to ensure the game ended with 22 players still on the pitch. Madrid did play a bit more football at times than the previous 3 games. Have to admit I am a bit in awe of Barca, or maybe Messi in particular, although I think they are looking more jaded since Xmas and would give ManU a good chance of turning them over in Wembley. As for Real, from Mourinho's point of view over 4 games Barca were one goal better than them and that, and their preception that they were wronged, will produce a siege mentality - you can already see that in his players, particularly the likes of Alonso who I never recall being so vocal or visibly irritated as he was last night against the referee.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Bingo

My theory on Barca is that they see other teams been set uo to stop them through physicality, tough tackled and cynical play. Their response to this is that, we'll response in kind and ensure you pick up bookings, red cards, frees etc etc and equally get under your skin as you want to get under ours.

So in games like we've had over last few weeks, it all boils over and gets ridiculas at times. I don't think Barca have been as bad in the league as they were v RM in terms of the carry on. You could nearly say its an another string in their bow, albeit an unpleasant one. But when it comes to Madrid its win at all costs. I don't think we'll see a repeat or close to it in the final.

NP 76

You dont have to watch the champions league to see diving this is a common occurence through out all leagues and all age levels . The slightest touch is made to look like thet have been shot it obvivously is being coached into the games by either watching it on a regular basis or people thinking this is acceptable behaviour

Billys Boots

QuoteMy theory on Barca is that they see other teams been set uo to stop them through physicality, tough tackled and cynical play. Their response to this is that, we'll response in kind and ensure you pick up bookings, red cards, frees etc etc and equally get under your skin as you want to get under ours.

I'd be inclined to agree; it's nothing more sinister than managers'/coaches' responses to their players not being adequately 'protected' from cynicism by referees.  It's unfortunate, but no more despicable than targeted fouling or sledging.  And it's as prevalent in Gaelic Football as it is in Soccer.  And don't get me started about gentlemanly Rugby - a game where the victors are the best cheats!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

mrsandman

Quote from: gallsman on May 03, 2011, 11:41:00 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on May 03, 2011, 11:37:48 PM

The point is that particular posters on here who have allegiances to a particular Premier League club would have you believe their team is full of good, honest, hard working English lads who would never dream of such antics.

Absolute sh*te, in terms of cynicism and simulation the spanish league is number one, thats not to say that the english league isnt full of the same but not even anywhere near the same amount. The proof was on the news this morning, where last nights match set a new high in fouls in one game.  It was a joke to watch, if as you say, supporters of EPL teams would have u believe that there team does not partake in such antics, then Real, Barca etc would have you believe that we are actually watchin basketball where contact results in a free every single time.

In most cases a free comes from the intention rather than the actual contact, and if mascherano and the likes were as hurt as they let on they wouldnt be up walking around again within 30 seconds.
Basically what im trying to say here is that foreign teams focus much more on winning frees and gettin the opposition booked/sent off for next to nothing e.g pepe's disgusting tackle on dani alves, i think alves escaped with a scratch down the side of his boot if there even was contact!
Messi is no angel either as most commentators would have you believe!
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Blowitupref

Two after match quotes from Cristiano Ronaldo

"Javier Mascherano wasn't like this at Liverpool," added the former Manchester United playmaker.
"He must have learned all these cheating tricks at Barcelona."

"Barcelona are a difficult team to beat because they get outside help. Next year they should give the cup directly to them."
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

QuoteAnd don't get me started about gentlemanly Rugby - a game where the victors are the best cheats!

Ah Billy rugby is about pushing the referee's interpretation of the law but the class shown by Toulouse in defeat where they praised the ref and Leinster is above and beyond anything you will find in professional soccer.
#newbridgeornowhere

paco

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 04, 2011, 03:03:17 PM
Two after match quotes from Cristiano Ronaldo

"Javier Mascherano wasn't like this at Liverpool," added the former Manchester United playmaker.
"He must have learned all these cheating tricks at Barcelona."

"Barcelona are a difficult team to beat because they get outside help. Next year they should give the cup directly to them."

Hard to believe he's playing for a team managed by Mourinho when he comes out with stuff like that.  ::)