Paidi O Se on rural depopulation, and why he's wrong

Started by Eamonnca1, March 06, 2011, 04:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

QuoteFightback must begin on the ground in rural areas
The GAA's place is more important than ever in these difficult times, writes Páidí ó Sé

By Paidi O Se
Sunday March 06 2011

TWO of the three great bastions of the old order in rural Ireland have collapsed -- the Catholic Church and the Fianna Fáil party. While the third, the GAA, is in robust good health, there is nonetheless great uncertainty about the future in many rural clubs.

By virtue of the single-mindedness, wisdom and vision of many of the people who ran the GAA over the years, in many ways the association has never been stronger.

But we are in danger of creating a rural wasteland because of bureaucratic red tape, emigration and economic decline, and all this is being exacerbated by the exodus of good players to the big clubs as revealed in Damian Lawlor's story in this newspaper today.

There is no doubt that the big clubs can offer substantial incentives to the most talented young players such as cannot be matched by small clubs in the country.

Some very big clubs have the backing of leading business people, many of whom are in the position of being able to set up jobs for young players who join their clubs.

Jobs are like gold dust in the midst of this terrible recession, and it is a temptation hard to resist for many young men who want to get on in life. As well as that, it is often the case that such businessmen have lots of spare property on their hands, with the result that the players they recruit can be fixed up with apartments or houses.

Rural Ireland is in danger of becoming a wasteland because of red tape. I am not arguing that farmers' sons and families should be allowed to build houses wherever they like, but the present situation is far too restrictive.

The planners -- who seem to know everything -- want to have an urbanised structure in society and they don't understand the appeal of a countryside dotted with modern dwellings.

We all know that the great curse of emigration has resumed and this is in danger of denuding GAA clubs of some of their best players in the remoter parts of the country.

We know that dance halls were one of the hubs of social life in rural Ireland and that they have now disappeared. The country pub is in danger of going the same way because of the restrictive drink-driving laws. It is all too depressing a vista and the prospect of a rural wasteland is something we must fight against with every fibre of our being.

It is no use having great football and hurling pitches and excellent facilities and dressing rooms if there are no players to use them. We can all do something, every single one of us. This weekend, I have been once again running my own Tayto Topaz Comórtas Peile Páidí ó Sé in West Kerry. Eight men's and eight women's teams

have been taking part, including three from London, and the finals are in Gallarus today, the ladies' at 12.30pm and the men's at 2.0pm.

In its own way, this Comórtas is a measure of what can be achieved with a bit of commitment, and I have got the most tremendous support in West Kerry for this venture. In this area, 85 self-catering houses are completely full for this weekend, as are the hotels in the region.

It is a very badly-needed boost for us all and if the same effort could be replicated in every village in Ireland, the economic landscape would be dramatically altered.

PS: I've never mentioned cricket before in this column, but I would like to congratulate the Irish cricket team on its fantastic win over England in the World Cup last Wednesday in India.

Kevin O'Brien's sensational innings and his scoring of the fastest century in the history of the World Cup now ranks with the greatest achievements in sport by any Irishman or any other nationality for that matter.

My congratulations to those great sportsmen.

- Paidi O Se

I'm going to disagree with you there, Paidi.  This isn't going to be a popular view, but rural depopulation and increased urbanisation is a sign of a developed country. It's inevitable. It took place in the UK at the time of the industrial revolution, it happened to a certain extent in the north of Ireland at the same time, but it passed a lot of Ireland by.  Ireland went straight to the IT/service industries which doesn't depend on urbanisation so much, but it still works better in towns and cities. 

People move from the country to city because the bigger the city, the more employment options are open to them. Farm work is so automated or mechanised now that you don't need an army of rural workers. That's the way it is everywhere, not just in Ireland.

I can see the appeal of living in a single house out in the country, I grew up in one, but is that kind of living sustainable?  What if everyone tried to live the same way?  You'd have bungalow blight all over the country far worse than it is now, and traffic on country roads would be diabolical because everyone lives so far away from everything that driving is the only feasible way to get around. Forget about the carbon footprint for a second, but look at what all that driving does to quality of life. The 'quiet country road' becomes a myth because of everyone trying to commute into town where the jobs are and young fellas ripping and tearing up and down the roads in their souped-up cars at other times.  Pollution is not to be sniffed at either. With everyone driving diesel cars to save money, the amount of particulates in the the air has everyone breathing in a cloud of soot. Not good for you.

Then there's the small matter of rural isolation.  People are sociable animals. This business of living in isolated locations is not natural. Even the GAA recognises this problem, sure they launched a program called the GAA Social Initiative to reach out to men living in the country who have little or no social contact.

Rural pubs are closing? Play me the world's smallest violin! There's enough alcohol consumed and the last thing we need is pubs in areas where drunk driving is the most popular means of getting home.

And what of the small matter of maintaining the roads and taking away the waste produced by country dwellers? Are you happy having a big chunk of your pay packet going towards the cost of that in your taxes?

In England, if you live in 'the country' it means you live in a village. You still have acres of fields to admire out the back, but when you need a pint of milk you can still walk to the store and get one instead of having to strap yourself into a two ton vehicle and drive there. 

I'm not saying people should be forced to live in cities, but the fact is that's the way people are increasingly choosing to live. It's a long term trend that becomes more noticeable during a recession when people are the most desperate for work and are more inclined to make the move. You can sit there like King Canute ordering the tide to go back out, but you're going to look a bit silly.

[Sits back and waits for the feather to fly]

Puckoon

Restrictive drink driving laws? God bless his troubles!

ck

Agree with Eamonn. A reduction on population within rural communities as a sure sign of development. I'm originally from a very rural area and small GAA club but moved to Sligo town for education, work, ease of life etc.

It's a very difficult issue regarding rural players being attracted to bigger urban clubs. Persoanlly I believe bigger clubs should not be allowed to poach players as is the case in Dublin. However where players genuinely live and work in the area they can seek a transfer. Sorry, but I have no idea how this should be policed but as long as the GAA turn a blind eye to this then smaller clubs will get smaller and bigger clubs get bigger.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ck on March 06, 2011, 05:26:08 PM
Agree with Eamonn. A reduction on population within rural communities as a sure sign of development. I'm originally from a very rural area and small GAA club but moved to Sligo town for education, work, ease of life etc.

It's a very difficult issue regarding rural players being attracted to bigger urban clubs. Persoanlly I believe bigger clubs should not be allowed to poach players as is the case in Dublin. However where players genuinely live and work in the area they can seek a transfer. Sorry, but I have no idea how this should be policed but as long as the GAA turn a blind eye to this then smaller clubs will get smaller and bigger clubs get bigger.
Rather than resisting the tide, the GAA could help to make it easier to establish new urban clubs.  Does the Games Development department have a recipe or procedure that people can follow when starting a new club?  I know we have in the US colleges since starting new clubs is a big part of what we do.

armaghniac

Paidi is wrong on the drink driving. There are powerful forces of centralisation, but that is no reason why measures such as broadband cannot be taken to make life modern in all parts of the country. Increased urbanisation is the death of the GAA or indeed any real sense of Irish identity. It is no accident that Antrim and Dublin win little when compared to less populated places.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 06, 2011, 05:50:53 PM
Increased urbanisation is the death of the GAA or indeed any real sense of Irish identity.

So you're only a real Irishman if you're a culchie?

I'm from Lurgan where there's about half a dozen GAA clubs in the town with long established rivalries. The GAA in the town is as strong as ever.

There's about 17 clubs in San Francisco, and it wasn't until a few years ago that there was even a dedicated set of GAA fields for them to play on.

The GAA can't survive in an urban environment? I don't buy it.

QuoteIt is no accident that Antrim and Dublin win little when compared to less populated places.

Dublin have won 22 All Ireland football titles, only Kerry has surpassed that.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 06, 2011, 06:26:50 PM
QuoteIt is no accident that Antrim and Dublin win little when compared to less populated places.

At least half of them were won when their team was full of lads from the country.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

spuds

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 06, 2011, 06:51:47 PM

At least half of them were won when their team was full of lads from the country.
IMO the making of Dublin GAA was the getting rid of country lads playing for them.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on March 06, 2011, 08:47:34 PM

IMO the making of Dublin GAA was the getting rid of country lads playing for them.

True Spuds, it was also good for the rural counties, not having their players stolen away. It wasn't just Dublin, didn't Louth profit from Mayo and Galway players in the 1950's
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

spuds

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 06, 2011, 08:51:01 PM

True Spuds, it was also good for the rural counties, not having their players stolen away. It wasn't just Dublin, didn't Louth profit from Mayo and Galway players in the 1950's
2 Mayomen on Louth All Ireland winning team in 1957. Did Frank Stockwell of the 'terrible twins' fame play for Louth ? Know he lived there for a long time.

Edit: see he did in 1950 & 1951
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on March 06, 2011, 09:40:14 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 06, 2011, 08:51:01 PM

2 Mayomen on Louth All Ireland winning team in 1957. Did Frank Stockwell of the 'terrible twins' fame play for Louth ? Know he lived there for a long time.

Edit: see he did in 1950 & 1951

Pretty sure Stockwell did too, he was a Garda wasn't he.

neilthemac

i'm going against all of ye on this. there is no reason to say an urbanised population means a more developed country - thats bull.

Our rural depopulation is due to decisions taken at planning level and local government. people would live in rural Ireland through sustainable spatial development

If villages had private or public houses built in them on a sustainable cluster plan and not the linear planning obsession which prevails in Ireland then the local post office could be kept open, along with the local school, garda station, shop, pub and GAA club. allied to that services could easily be provided in the village - sewage, broadband etc
Allied to this a proper local bus service could then be provided as a centralised population is in each village.

it would follow the dutch model where the countryside is kept green and houses are built in small hamlets/villages

the main obstacle to this is every two bit farmer wanting to build 2/3 houses on their land with road frontage.
councils need to be far more proactive in provising serviced sites in villages which will promote proper rural living

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: neilthemac on March 06, 2011, 11:30:19 PM
i'm going against all of ye on this. there is no reason to say an urbanised population means a more developed country - thats bull.

Our rural depopulation is due to decisions taken at planning level and local government. people would live in rural Ireland through sustainable spatial development

If villages had private or public houses built in them on a sustainable cluster plan and not the linear planning obsession which prevails in Ireland then the local post office could be kept open, along with the local school, garda station, shop, pub and GAA club. allied to that services could easily be provided in the village - sewage, broadband etc
Allied to this a proper local bus service could then be provided as a centralised population is in each village.

it would follow the dutch model where the countryside is kept green and houses are built in small hamlets/villages

the main obstacle to this is every two bit farmer wanting to build 2/3 houses on their land with road frontage.
councils need to be far more proactive in provising serviced sites in villages which will promote proper rural living

I knew a Dutch girl and she said she was from a village, turns out its population was 80,000. One mans Village is another mans City.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: neilthemac on March 06, 2011, 11:30:19 PM

I'm with you on everything except the "urbanisation doesn't mean more developed" thing.  By all means live in the country, just do so sensibly and don't be scattered all over the place the way it is now.