Run Flat Tyres

Started by isourboydownyet, February 15, 2011, 04:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isourboydownyet

Any of you changed from run flat back to ordinary tyres?i have to replace two on my car and there are the guts of £200 each,i was wondering would it make much of a difference in regards handling etc?

Tyrones own

No, nothing you'd notice, as long as they're the same size/profile
and you keep them paired on the same axle.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

mylestheslasher

And what if you get a flat, I presume you have no spare. Seems very expensive too, mine were 110 euro each.

Puckoon

I had to google what these are - but found this information from wikipedia interesting regarding market share...

Run-flat tires accounted for less than 1% of replacement tire sales in the U.S. in 2005. In 2006, it was expected that such tires would gain popularity with armored vehicle manufacturers, but growth figures were slow with one major model, the Michelin PAX, being discontinued by the manufacturer.[1] A Michelin study released in 2008 found that only 3 percent of drivers worldwide want run-flat tires. U.S. market share is well below 1 percent. American Honda Motor Co. announced that the 2009 Honda Odyssey Touring and Acura RL were its last models available with run-flat tires and with Honda no longer using run-flats. This leaves only a handful of volume manufacturers offering them as standard fittings and only on some models. An exception is BMW, who are the largest fitter of run-flats as original equipment.[2]

TO - I blew a tire yesterday on the kerb, and was about to put two new ones on the front (tires are a year old and in good shape) when someone suggested going to a used tire exchange and only replacing the one. I was quoted 2 tires by Big O tires for 311$ but got out the door at the other place with a slightly used (about the same as my own tires) Michelin for $51 mounted and balanced. I know its not what the big places tell you you should do i.e. keep all tires on the same axle the same - but honestly - how much have I really sinned by doing this?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on February 15, 2011, 06:30:04 PM
I had to google what these are - but found this information from wikipedia interesting regarding market share...

Run-flat tires accounted for less than 1% of replacement tire sales in the U.S. in 2005. In 2006, it was expected that such tires would gain popularity with armored vehicle manufacturers, but growth figures were slow with one major model, the Michelin PAX, being discontinued by the manufacturer.[1] A Michelin study released in 2008 found that only 3 percent of drivers worldwide want run-flat tires. U.S. market share is well below 1 percent. American Honda Motor Co. announced that the 2009 Honda Odyssey Touring and Acura RL were its last models available with run-flat tires and with Honda no longer using run-flats. This leaves only a handful of volume manufacturers offering them as standard fittings and only on some models. An exception is BMW, who are the largest fitter of run-flats as original equipment.[2]

TO - I blew a tire yesterday on the kerb, and was about to put two new ones on the front (tires are a year old and in good shape) when someone suggested going to a used tire exchange and only replacing the one. I was quoted 2 tires by Big O tires for 311$ but got out the door at the other place with a slightly used (about the same as my own tires) Michelin for $51 mounted and balanced. I know its not what the big places tell you you should do i.e. keep all tires on the same axle the same - but honestly - how much have I really sinned by doing this?
I only ever replace them one at a time as they're needed.

sammymaguire

A shite over-priced gimmick by BMW. When one burst I could not tell which one was gone
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Tyrones own

I wouldn't worry about it...i'd have done the same thing.
About the same axle stuff, only brought that up because
of the run flat tire question above.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

omagh_gael

Perhaps you need to get your steering wheel fixed too if you're driving into kerbs Puck? ;)

sammymaguire

A bloody cats eye caused one of mine to go a couple of years ago
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Puckoon

It was a fecking disaster OG. Did it in the car park at work. My car has an awful turn radius, and sometimes Im impatient. Best of it was that Id hit a kerb on Saturday and gotten a (fairly nice) lecture from her indoors - complete with the warning that "You're going to bust a tire if you keep going over that kerb". Sure enough it went yesterday.

Maybe its her fault for putting that out there in the universe...

omagh_gael

Quote from: Puckoon on February 15, 2011, 11:25:16 PM
It was a fecking disaster OG. Did it in the car park at work. My car has an awful turn radius, and sometimes Im impatient. Best of it was that Id hit a kerb on Saturday and gotten a (fairly nice) lecture from her indoors - complete with the warning that "You're going to bust a tire if you keep going over that kerb". Sure enough it went yesterday.

Maybe its her fault for putting that out there in the universe...

Tut tut Puck if you know anything about psychology you'll know an external locus of control is the path to trouble. We're all in charge of our own destiny! ;)

isourboydownyet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2011, 06:23:21 PM
And what if you get a flat, I presume you have no spare. Seems very expensive too, mine were 110 euro each.

suppose i could buy a spare,my wheels are 18" which jump dramactically in price from 17",and heres me thinking a inch wouldnt make that much difference ;).
the thing is one of my tyres puntured last wednesday and only changed it yesterday so the run flats are handy in that you dont have to try and change a wheel along the side of a busy road

lynchbhoy

Quote from: isourboydownyet on February 16, 2011, 09:03:37 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2011, 06:23:21 PM

suppose i could buy a spare,my wheels are 18" which jump dramactically in price from 17",and heres me thinking a inch wouldnt make that much difference ;).
the thing is one of my tyres puntured last wednesday and only changed it yesterday so the run flats are handy in that you dont have to try and change a wheel along the side of a busy road
IIRC the run flats on bmw's sell for around €500 each !!!
was looking at a bmw 5 series a few years ago and thats the pice the salesman told me the tyres were when I asked him about run flats !
:o

thebigfella

Should rename this the BMW Drivers are twats easily ripped off thread  :D

lynchbhoy

well this thread is useful - as if I ever did get a few bob after this recession and decided to waste it on a car, then I could avoid the run flats and stick on ordinary tyres instead and save a fortune !
that €3600 saved
just need to save the 20 odd grand to buy the second hand 5 series !!