Run Flat Tyres

Started by isourboydownyet, February 15, 2011, 04:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 16, 2011, 01:09:30 PM
well this thread is useful - as if I ever did get a few bob after this recession and decided to waste it on a car, then I could avoid the run flats and stick on ordinary tyres instead and save a fortune !
that €3600 saved
just need to save the 20 odd grand to buy the second hand 5 series !!

Good idea except there is no room for a spare in the boot of a 5 series o(hence the runflats) so if you get a puncture on a Sunday morning what are you going to do?

isourboydownyet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2011, 01:17:41 PM
well this thread is useful - as if I ever did get a few bob after this recession and decided to waste it on a car, then I could avoid the run flats and stick on ordinary tyres instead and save a fortune !
that €3600 saved

Good idea except there is no room for a spare in the boot of a 5 series o(hence the runflats) so if you get a puncture on a Sunday morning what are you going to do?

yes there is!

Hardy

There's usually a spare in the driver's seat.

mylestheslasher

My apolgies if there is, I have a 320d (new model) and there is no room for a spare in that so I assumed it was across the whole range.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2011, 02:15:18 PM
My apolgies if there is, I have a 320d (new model) and there is no room for a spare in that so I assumed it was across the whole range.

have the car 3 years now and didnt think so myself until i lifted the boot mat and there  room left for a full size wheel,as you say they might have done away with this on the new models though

Bogball XV

that €3600 saved

I don't know what these tyres are but would the auld can of tyre weld not do the trick, i've no spare on my car, but have a few cans of that lying in the boot (manufacturer supplied, but can be bought for tuppence in most supermarkets).

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 16, 2011, 02:53:19 PM
that €3600 saved

I don't know what these tyres are but would the auld can of tyre weld not do the trick, i've no spare on my car, but have a few cans of that lying in the boot (manufacturer supplied, but can be bought for tuppence in most supermarkets).

when a run flat is fucked,it's proper fucked! so beyond repair and has to be replaced

mylestheslasher

Quote from: isourboydownyet on February 16, 2011, 02:56:37 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on February 16, 2011, 02:53:19 PM
that €3600 saved

when a run flat is fucked,it's proper fucked! so beyond repair and has to be replaced

I have heard of lads plugging them but you are not supposed to but it hard to see why you shouldn't. If the plug comes out sure you'll just be back where you started!

Tyrones own

Quote from: Hardy on February 16, 2011, 01:47:05 PM
There's usually a spare in the driver's seat.
That would be the tube in myles' case  ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Denn Forever

How do Run flat tyres work?  Do they have tyre weld inside that gets activated if there is a leak?

QuoteI have heard of lads plugging them but you are not supposed to but it hard to see why you shouldn't. If the plug comes out sure you'll just be back where you started.

Is this not how you fix punctures on tubeless tyres anyway and would it not be converting your Run Flay tyre to a Tubeless tyre?  But would it be safe?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Runflats just have thicker walls, they are tubeless

GJL

Hi. I have been looking on here for a while but never felt the need to post until now. I am starting a new business next week as a supplier of part worn tyres. I can supply runflats or regular tyres at a fraction of the price. Minimum thread depth of 4mm. Based in Ballygawley.

No need to replace runflats, just use regular tyre and carry repair kit that goes in through the valve.

Denn Forever

Quote from: GJL on February 16, 2011, 10:19:03 PM
Hi. I have been looking on here for a while but never felt the need to post until now. I am starting a new business next week as a supplier of part worn tyres. I can supply runflats or regular tyres at a fraction of the price. Minimum thread depth of 4mm. Based in Ballygawley.

No need to replace runflats, just use regular tyre and carry repair kit that goes in through the valve.

Best of luck and keep posting.  Being from Tyrone, you are bound to have strong opinions.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

GJL

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 16, 2011, 10:26:53 PM
Quote from: GJL on February 16, 2011, 10:19:03 PM

Best of luck and keep posting.  Being from Tyrone, you are bound to have strong opinions.

Thanks.......I think.

Puckoon

Just from a business perspective would you not be better suited calling them slightly used (or something similar) as opposed to part worn??