australia how long can it last?

Started by lawnseed, February 15, 2011, 09:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

Quote from: bigfrank on March 13, 2011, 09:30:36 PM
KK im sure u havent made this decision over night....i have travelled a fair bit..never to oz but been to america alot..done the summer footy thing a few times and loved it.

Have little or ties here at home and oz has been in my head since xmas....im not usually one to talk about things tho...if i say im doing something....i book and fly...have fell out with loads because of it...mostly club men etc but like u say u only live once and ur a long time dead. I have yet to ever hear a bad word about OZ from people in it and ones that returned from it...not many places in the world that can be said about!!!

Perth has been talked about as know a few already there and hear its an amazing city....its very far away from sydney etc and the rest of the popular places but thats what planes are for lol....sure its hard 2 get up and leave what we have here in sunny ireland but its def somethin i could see myself doing!

:D :D :D Sureeee BF

bigfrank

About 45 secs longer than i thought it would take ya to comment New Devil...i usually get u to book it tho :)

Would be goin alone KK...no family or anythin so i guess in that way its much much easier for me. I prob would have been to oz by now only the america thing was always the easy option for me....seems closer and was playin football out there and knew good few lads so was well looked after. Kind of thing that i will regret not goin some day if i dont venture out...if that makes sense.

Maybe ur just having a bad few weeks and getting away is more appealing??? If u have kids and that its goin to be hard to move away but u wont have been the first or the last to do it....its something u could love and if u dont no shame in trying something and taking a risk..its ur life after all!!

qz

There is plenty of money in Aus but they're not giving it away. If you have the right skills and there is demand in that field you'll get very good money.  The economy is booming in some industries such as mining, construction and banking. The mining jobs are mostly west Aus, the construction boom is Queensland after the floods, and banking is Sydney & Melbourne. Check out www.seek.com.au  to get an idea of rates in your job.

To answer the question will it last? The massive export led boom in the iron ore and coal fields to India & China will continue for a good few years because the Aussies produce it so much cheaper than anywhere else, and China's demand is currently insatiable. The commodities success is feeding lots of other industries.

The massive side effect of this resources led boom is the strong aussie dollar. This is making the cost of living dear. If you show up with euros or pounds things are real expensive. The other major side effect is the impact on industries which are in more competitive world markets such as export wine industry or tourism both of which are suffering hard as its too dear, so if you work in tourism then it will be tough to get a job here.

I've been here 18 mths in banking with wife & kids and it s going well. Won't be going back!

If you've got an itch give it a go , you can always go home again.

stephenite

I wonder how the fall out from Japan is going to affect the uranium mining and the knock on for the general Aussie economy

gawa316

Quote from: qz on March 14, 2011, 01:29:53 AM
There is plenty of money in Aus but they're not giving it away. If you have the right skills and there is demand in that field you'll get very good money.  The economy is booming in some industries such as mining, construction and banking. The mining jobs are mostly west Aus, the construction boom is Queensland after the floods, and banking is Sydney & Melbourne. Check out www.seek.com.au  to get an idea of rates in your job.

Are there any sites like this for the US, preferably California?

seafoid

From the title I thought the thread was about how viable Australia is long term.  I am reading Collapse by Jared Diamond at the moment and he writes a lot about Australia and how the fertility of the soil is far less than that of Western Europe.There are big problems with desertification, drought, deforestation, clearing of native species, rabbits, sheep overgrazing and climate change.   Over the long term he reckons Australia can only support 8 million people, less than half of the current number. 

Mario

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2011, 09:25:03 AM
From the title I thought the thread was about how viable Australia is long term.  I am reading Collapse by Jared Diamond at the moment and he writes a lot about Australia and how the fertility of the soil is far less than that of Western Europe.There are big problems with desertification, drought, deforestation, clearing of native species, rabbits, sheep overgrazing and climate change.   Over the long term he reckons Australia can only support 8 million people, less than half of the current number.
We aren't living 100 years ago, most of the food in Ireland is imported, i'm sure they can do the same in OZ

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: stephenite on March 14, 2011, 07:14:19 AM
I wonder how the fall out from Japan is going to affect the uranium mining and the knock on for the general Aussie economy

Generally, the current boom is being driven by the Chinese economy. The escalation of North v South Korea situation is the biggest threat to the mining industry, as China are alied to NK and the thought is that China wouldnt have any choice but to get involved if an all-out conflict ensues....

There is good money to be had in the mining industry, and at the  oment it is boom times, however it is a hard gig to get into, especially if you arent Australian as a lot of people that try it cant hack Fly In Fly Out work.

Money is good, but it not easy, and doesnt suit everyone. This week I worked 100hrs. Usually do a 15day work swing and 6 off. This is a good roster, as a lot of the other sites have a 26/9 roster.

Suits me as i havent a wife and kids sitting at home, and I get a week off to travel and see Australia a bit at a time.
Hasta la victoria siempre

bennydorano

China think NK are fuckwits, they wouldn't be wading behind them in any conflict.

mountainboii

Quote from: Mario on March 14, 2011, 09:31:15 AM
We aren't living 100 years ago, most of the food in Ireland is imported, i'm sure they can do the same in OZ

Can't import water though.

lawnseed

Quote from: AFS on March 14, 2011, 08:36:54 PM
Quote from: Mario on March 14, 2011, 09:31:15 AM

Can't import water though.
dont think we import most of our food either.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

seafoid

25% of australia's farmland is projected to be banjaxed by salinisation and thus unfarmable .
The US, Israel and Australia are all settler colonial societies that have done enormous damage to their ecosystems. 

stephenite

Shit - when should I pack up the family and leave?

Fact is that your correct in what you say, the climate of the likes of Oz and Israel were never suited to the farming practices that were traditionally applied to it, a 15 year drought doesn't help too much either. But it's a big country and the Chinese aren't buying up every available acre of viable farmland for the craic

Milltown Row2

My younger brother is thinking about it, he's a bricklayer by trade and I'm wondering is there work out there for trades men and what way does the visa works?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

King Kenny

Milltown,  from my research your bro should be suitable for a skilled visa.  This however can be a long and expensive process.  I he looks at the pomzinoz website it shod provide him with all the info he needs.

This carry on has my head fried.   I don't know if I have the balls for this or not.