Where would you like to visit? But probably won't

Started by armaghniac, January 15, 2011, 12:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Anywhere where I can see the Northern Lights in the depths of winter. Been planning it for about ten years and am no further along than the day I started.

ross4life

Tromso, Norway is suppose to be one of the best places to see the Northern lights & in the Summer they have 24hr brightness.

Only did the bottom half of Norway so will have to return for Northern lights/summer sunshine
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ludermor

There should be a wiki reference to all your posts!

Niall Quinn

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2011, 09:05:35 PM
Anywhere where I can see the Northern Lights in the depths of winter. Been planning it for about ten years and am no further along than the day I started.

I took this in Alta, Norway a few years back.

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

I SHOT JR

i've been to cairo and found it amazing.  visited the egyptian museum, a papyrus factory, the sphinx and the pyramids - it was an amazing day that i'd recommend to everyone and anyone.  the funeral mask of tutankhamun is brilliant to see although air conditioning hasn't made it to cairo yet so the museum was sticky to say the least.

I've always fancied alaska and kodiak island would be an ideal destination.  I'd like to get to india and a rugby weekend in rome would be on my wish list, plenty to see apart from sport

Tony Baloney

Like O'Neill I'm mostly attracted to wide open spaces so would love to go to Greenland, Canada, Siberia, Mongolia, Montana in USA. Have seen a good bit of India but little of the north so would like to visit there too.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 16, 2011, 02:16:48 PM
Grand Canyon. Holy Lands.

On St Patrick's Day!! Bottle of cider, hurling stick and some fire works!!!  biggest tourist attraction in the North
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: I SHOT JR on January 15, 2011, 10:27:51 PM
i've been to cairo and found it amazing.  visited the egyptian museum, a papyrus factory, the sphinx and the pyramids - it was an amazing day that i'd recommend to everyone and anyone.  the funeral mask of tutankhamun is brilliant to see although air conditioning hasn't made it to cairo yet so the museum was sticky to say the least.

Was there myself and wasn't overly impressed.
Was very disappointed with the Pyramids,I didn't like that they built Cairo's version of Ballymun right beside them,also didn't like some of the locals who hassle you while there.
The Museum was impressive but as a whole I didn't like Cairo at all.
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 16, 2011, 02:20:14 PM
Grand Canyon. Holy Land.
Aye Grand Canyon for me too.

Have been,nothing special IMHO.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 16, 2011, 03:04:32 PM

Was very disappointed with the Pyramids,I didn't like that they built Cairo's version of Ballymun right beside them,also didn't like some of the locals who hassle you while there.
Grand Canyon. Holy Land.

Did you go to Grand Canyon on a cloudy day? or do one of those helicopter tours missing out on the hike down.

Doing Cairo in a few weeks know all about the locals hassling people having been to the Morocco and Canaries islands shouldn't take away from the spectacular sites i can imagine?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

FL/MAYO

Quote from: andoireabu on January 16, 2011, 03:25:58 PM
Grand Canyon. Holy Land.
Going there this summer. Doing vegas before that.  Can't wait

Did this trip a couple of years ago, my only advise is to give yourself a couple of days in the grand canyon. I spent to much time in vegas and short changed myself on the trip to the grand canyon. Unreal spot to see.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ross4life on January 16, 2011, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 16, 2011, 03:04:32 PM

Grand Canyon. Holy Land.

Did you go to Grand Canyon on a cloudy day? or do one of those helicopter tours missing out on the hike down.

Doing Cairo in a few weeks know all about the locals hassling people having been to the Morocco and Canaries islands shouldn't take away from the spectacular sites i can imagine?

Maybe we went to the wrong spot,we went to the Skywalk part but I have read since that there are better parts to view it.
I was actually more impressed with the Hoover Dam if I'm honest.
I wasn't blown away by the Grand Canyon at all,same as the Pyramids though maybe I expect too much.

Compared to other places I have been like the Great Ocean Rd drive in Australia or Milford Sound in New Zealand the Grand Canyon was no where near those for an experience in my opinion anyways

The Pyramids experience was ruined for me by the fact I believed they were way out in the middle of the desert,I didn't expect as I said Ballymun flats to be a stones throw away or being able to take a photo of the Pyramids and the Sphinx with KFC and Maccy D's in the background.Plus we were hassled from the moment we got off the bus by locals.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

My mate went to the Pyramids too. He wasn't too impressed with it either. Plus, he said it was a dirty kip.
Testing Accessibility