your all star picks

Started by lilpaulie85, September 16, 2010, 08:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpaulie85

just want to get an idea of what people think the allstars will be, will post my own taughts later
Chase the dream not the competition.

Croí na hÉireann

1) Brendan Cummins
2) Noel Connors
3) Paul Curran
4) Jackie Tyrrell
5) Tommy Walsh
6) Brick Walsh
7) Pauraic Maher
8) Brendan Maher
9) Michael Fennelly
10) Damien Hayes
11) Noel McGrath
12) Lar Corbett
13) Eoin Kelly
14) Richie Power
15) John Mullane
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Minder

Not sure I would have Lar Corbett in there but the rest are dead on.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

I'd swap Padraic Maher for JJ (think his final covered up a shaky year) and Richie Power for Niall McCarthy (jiggle the forward line a bit).

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Minder on September 17, 2010, 12:22:49 PM
Not sure I would have Lar Corbett in there but the rest are dead on.

Why not Minder or is that tongue in cheek? Lar will probably pip Tommy Walsh for POTY on the back of his hat trick.

Quote from: gallsman on September 17, 2010, 12:48:12 PM
I'd swap Padraic Maher for JJ (think his final covered up a shaky year) and Richie Power for Niall McCarthy (jiggle the forward line a bit).

Padraic Maher was harshly judged on his Cork performance IMO. He's only a young lad thrown into a pivotal position who didn't know how to play Aisaike. If they face up again next year he and Tipp won't make the same mistakes. He did ok when moved out to wing back in that game anyway and was immense in the final, just shades JJ who didn't perform to his usual high standards in the final for me. Niall McCarthy was one of Corks better players alright but Power's semi-final performance was of a much higher standard. Corks only hope IMO is in goals, was a close call between him and Cummins for me.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

gallsman

QuotePadraic Maher was harshly judged on his Cork performance IMO. He's only a young lad thrown into a pivotal position who didn't know how to play Aisaike. If they face up again next year he and Tipp won't make the same mistakes. He did ok when moved out to wing back in that game anyway and was immense in the final, just shades JJ who didn't perform to his usual high standards in the final for me. Niall McCarthy was one of Corks better players alright but Power's semi-final performance was of a much higher standard. Corks only hope IMO is in goals, was a close call between him and Cummins for me.

Maher was uncomfortable at wing back until the final. The All-Stars are meant to represent an entire season. The fact that he's young doesn't change the fact that Aisake destroyed him and the experience knocked his confidence, hence I don't think he should get one. On the other hand I thought JJ was outstanding the whole way through the season and coped admirably in the final.

Likewise I think Power only stood out in the semi-final. Once again in the biggest game he was nowhere to be seen.

Minder

How can you say Power was "nowhere to be seen" in the final? What did he score, 1-10, most of his points were from frees, albeit they still had to be put over (in stinking conditions). Maybe my definition of "going missing" is different from yours. The Tipp backs were superb in the final, they have to receive credit. Power would have needed to have a stinker in the final to miss out, he didn't.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

belleaqua

Quote from: gallsman on September 17, 2010, 01:02:53 PM
QuotePadraic Maher was harshly judged on his Cork performance IMO. He's only a young lad thrown into a pivotal position who didn't know how to play Aisaike. If they face up again next year he and Tipp won't make the same mistakes. He did ok when moved out to wing back in that game anyway and was immense in the final, just shades JJ who didn't perform to his usual high standards in the final for me. Niall McCarthy was one of Corks better players alright but Power's semi-final performance was of a much higher standard. Corks only hope IMO is in goals, was a close call between him and Cummins for me.

Maher was uncomfortable at wing back until the final. The All-Stars are meant to represent an entire season. The fact that he's young doesn't change the fact that Aisake destroyed him and the experience knocked his confidence, hence I don't think he should get one. On the other hand I thought JJ was outstanding the whole way through the season and coped admirably in the final.

Agreed, JJ had an outstanding year and an excellent final. People keep talking about Padraig Maher's one bad game against Cork on Aisake, anyone watch the Galway game?? Eanna Ryan had him in all sorts of bother until he had to retire injured. In Tipp's 4 biggest games this year v Cork, Galway, Waterford and Kilkenny he got cleaned out in 2 of them. Hardly All Star form. Then again its amazing what an All Ireland performance can do for an All Star selection. Plain wrong IMO

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on September 17, 2010, 01:39:24 PM
How can you say Power was "nowhere to be seen" in the final? What did he score, 1-10, most of his points were from frees, albeit they still had to be put over (in stinking conditions). Maybe my definition of "going missing" is different from yours. The Tipp backs were superb in the final, they have to receive credit. Power would have needed to have a stinker in the final to miss out, he didn't.

Curran beat him to everything! Admittedly it wasn't his fault that Kilkenny continued raining ball down on top of him when it clearly wasn't working. He got a cracking goal yes, probably the best of the day.

I was at all four KK matches this year and I'd give an All-Star to Shefflin before Power.

johnneycool

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 17, 2010, 11:31:39 AM
1) Donal Og Cusack 
2) Noel Connors
3) Paul Curran
4) Jackie Tyrrell
5) Tommy Walsh
6) Brick Walsh
7) JJ Delaney
8) Brendan Maher
9) Michael Fennelly
10) Damien Hayes/Eoin Larkin
11) Noel McGrath
12) Lar Corbett
13) Eoin Kelly
14) Richie Power
15) John Mullane

I thought the Cork goalie had a good year and wasn't a fault for Corks demise. Ditto Ronan Curran who had a return to form but will probably lose out this year.
JJ had the better all round year as P Maher had a stinker against Cork, was good against Waterford who gave him all the space he needed and great against KK. JJ has a great final and semi-final and didn't put a foot wrong against Galway, so I think he should get it.
Damien Hayes had a good enough year and will probably get one, but I think Larkin is in with a real shout as he'd a storming first half in the AI final but a quieter second half.
Mullane, Eoin Kelly and Corbett are certs.

gallsman

I think another game or two and Larkin would have been a shoo-in. Struggled for form a bit in Leinster. I've never seen a hurler who can get away from pressure with the sliotar on the stick the way he does.

Asal Mor

Donal Og probably should have saved Dan's shot in the Munster Final and wasn't great for Fogarty's goal in the AI semi-final either. Still, he did more positive things than any other keeper this year in terms of saves and puck outs. I think Cummins should just about get it for being more solid. Also he has great length in his puck out which made a difference.

Surprised Shane Dooley hasn't been mentioned - had a brilliant season - definitely deserves his place. Noel McGrath was very poor before the semi final. I'd put John O Brien ahead of him but would put Corbett ahead of both - he is usually Tipp's matchwinner.

Damien hayes is another who has to be there - superb all year. Larkin's a great hurler but I wouldn't have him near this team - had a quiet year. Henry was heading for another all - star before his injury given his performances against Galway and Cork。It's a shame as it would have been No. 10.
JJ had a better season than Padraic Maher.
My team
1) Brendan Cummins 
2) Noel Connors
3) Paul Curran
4) Jackie Tyrrell
5) Tommy Walsh
6) Brick Walsh
7) JJ Delaney
Brendan Maher
9) Michael Fennelly
10) Damien Hayes
11) Lar Corbett
12) Shane Dooley
13) Eoin Kelly
14) Richie Power
15) John Mullane

Who'll get hurler of the year? Fennelly would be my choice. 2nd Mullane 3rd Brendan Maher/Brick

lilpaulie85

the short list of players up for this years awards was revealed as being

Brendan Cummins (Tipperary)
Donal Óg Cusack (Cork)
Clinton Hennessy (Waterford)

Full Backs:
Jackie Tyrell (Kilkenny)
Noel Connors (Waterford)
Ollie Canning (Galway)
Paddy Stapleton (Tipperary)
Paul Curran (Tipperary)
John Dalton (Kilkenny)
Shane Kavanagh (Galway)
Shane O'Neill (Cork)
Michael Cahill (Tipperary)

Half Backs:

Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny)
JJ Delaney (Kilkenny)
Michael Walsh (Waterford)
Tony Browne (Waterford)
Pádraic Maher (Tipperary)
Tony Óg Regan (Galway)
Ronan Curran (Cork)
Declan Fanning (Tipperary)
John Gardiner (Cork)

Midfield:
Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny)
Shane McGrath (Tipperary)
Brendan Maher (Tipperary)
Ger Farragher (Galway)
Shane O'Sullivan (Waterford)
Michael Rice (Kilkenny)

Half Forwards:
Noel McGrath (Tipperary)
Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny)
Gearóid Ryan (Tipperary)
Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny)
Niall McCarthy (Cork)
Damien Hayes (Galway)
TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
Lar Corbett (Tipperary)
Patrick Maher (Tipperary)

Full Forwards:

John Mullane (Waterford)
Eoin Kelly (Tipperary)
Richie Power (Kilkenny)
Shane Dooley (Offaly)
Patrick Horgan (Cork)
Joe Canning (Galway)
Liam Watson (Antrim)
Aidan Fogarty (Kilkenny)
John O'Brien (Tipperary)

Breakdown of nominations by counties is as follows:
Tipperary 14
Kilkenny 11
Cork 6
Galway 6
Waterford 6
Antrim 1
Offaly 1

Chase the dream not the competition.

maxpower

Well Allstars announced this evening, whats the thoughts

1) Brendan Cummins
2) Noel Connors
3) Paul Curran
4) Ollie Canning
5) Tommy Walsh
6) Brick Walsh
7) JJ Delenay
8) Shane McGrath
9) Michael Fennelly (POTY)
10) Damien Hayes
11) Lar Corbett
12) Geroid Ryan
13) Eoin Kelly
14) Richie Power
15) John Mullane
What happens next????

Reillers

Something tells me that the hurling All Stars wont be as spread out and controversial as the footballers. KK and Tipp will take the majority and two or so from Waterford, Cork might get one, that'll be about it I'd say. Tipp should deservedly take the majority, but I doubt they'll be as diplomatic with the hurlers as they were the footballers.